P-38 Printed Parts

P-38 Printed Parts 1.0

Please log in to download

Matagami Designs

Master member
Matagami Designs submitted a new resource:

P-38 Printed Parts - STL files for various replacement pieces to fit on your master series P-38

STL files for various replacement pieces to fit on your master series P-38 and add more scale details.

308624_612f6457a1bee7c49234a6530ce8ad6e.jpg

Read more about this resource...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Looks like a good print. Please share how it fits to the boom when you get there. Depending on how you cut your formers the fit could vary a bit. I did 3 different versions to narrow down to a perfect fit for my build, among other changes.
It ended up being a little small. I'll trim the former and use some lightweight filler to hide the seam though.

Matagami Designs

Master member
It ended up being a little small. I'll trim the former and use some lightweight filler to hide the seam though.

I hope its not too far off. I think to get the best fit you would have to build up until the point you are ready to install these parts then take height 'y' and width 'x' measurements of the part just after the cowling and plug these numbers into Cura to do some non-uniform scaling of the part.

1614048993749.png

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I hope its not too far off. I think to get the best fit you would have to build up until the point you are ready to install these parts then take height 'y' and width 'x' measurements of the part just after the cowling and plug these numbers into Cura to do some non-uniform scaling of the part.

View attachment 193385
It’s not very far off. That’s a good idea - I should have thought of that...

MPBJR

Matagami, thanks posting these 3D printed parts, I've printed all and will be using them on my next P-38. I was wondering if I could post an "ask" ? Any chance you could design a .stl for the entire removable nose ? I'd love to be able to print one in LW PLA and be able to quickly due to a rough landing. I don't have any CAD skills and your parts look great so far. I'd be willing to donate some money for your time. Thanks again

Matagami Designs

Master member
Matagami, thanks posting these 3D printed parts, I've printed all and will be using them on my next P-38. I was wondering if I could post an "ask" ? Any chance you could design a .stl for the entire removable nose ? I'd love to be able to print one in LW PLA and be able to quickly due to a rough landing. I don't have any CAD skills and your parts look great so far. I'd be willing to donate some money for your time. Thanks again

So I spent a couple minutes figuring what would be involved in this and its a rather large print. 14+ hours and just big enough for my ender 3 pro. I designed this kind of quick so not sure how well the fit would be but the internal square tapers to a progressively better fit. overall I think it looks ok but it may need adjustments. If you want to try it I would only print maybe a half inch or so and see what the alignment looks like. unlike the other P-38 parts this would be very heavy as a double wall so I would advise printing single wall and just do like 2% cubic infill or something that looks good/strong but not to heavy. Definitely want at least 1 top and bottom layer as well. Enjoy!

1626747885281.png

EDIT: I don't think the cannons will print well now that I'm looking closer since they are unsupported.... Hmmm...

MPBJR

WOW! That was a fast response! I'll do as you mention and print the first half inch and see how it goes. Really appreciate your work! I'll post pics as I get it printed. Thanks so much!

Matagami Designs

Master member
WOW! That was a fast response! I'll do as you mention and print the first half inch and see how it goes. Really appreciate your work! I'll post pics as I get it printed. Thanks so much!

No problem. I'm just concerned the unsupported cannons will not print properly after a bit closer inspection. Thinking of how to resolve that. Any ways if you print the 1st half inch that will let you know overall fitment.

MPBJR

I have a Sidewinder X1 printer so the build volume is not an issue. I have the printer started now, so I should have some results soon. I see what your talking about with the cannons being unsupported when they start printing, only way I can adjust is to increase infill (my lack of CAD skills!) so there is something there, but that will cause the part to be to heavy. If you find a work around, great, if not, I'm not going to complain!

Matagami Designs

Master member
I have a Sidewinder X1 printer so the build volume is not an issue. I have the printer started now, so I should have some results soon. I see what your talking about with the cannons being unsupported when they start printing, only way I can adjust is to increase infill (my lack of CAD skills!) so there is something there, but that will cause the part to be to heavy. If you find a work around, great, if not, I'm not going to complain!

This should work a little better. I just adjusted it so they start on 45° surfaces which are tangent to the main surface rather then coming out of blind holes.

Attachments

• nose print.STL
    853.7 KB · Views: 0

MPBJR

Here are some pics of my first two prints. Printed one in regular PLA and one in LW-PLA. The PLA part came in at 112 g, the LW-PLA weighed 67 g, and the original foam board piece is 44 g. I'm sure I can get the part looking even better with a little tweaking in the slicer. The size is pretty darn good, just maybe a hair big on the bottom but it still looks good. I'm in the painting stage yet on the plane so it's good timing to give this part a go. No problems printing the cannons with the adjustments you made. I'll post some completed pics one she's done, Thanks again!
IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

Matagami Designs

Master member
Here are some pics of my first two prints. Printed one in regular PLA and one in LW-PLA. The PLA part came in at 112 g, the LW-PLA weighed 67 g, and the original foam board piece is 44 g. I'm sure I can get the part looking even better with a little tweaking in the slicer. The size is pretty darn good, just maybe a hair big on the bottom but it still looks good. I'm in the painting stage yet on the plane so it's good timing to give this part a go. No problems printing the cannons with the adjustments you made. I'll post some completed pics one she's done, Thanks again!
View attachment 204014
View attachment 204015
View attachment 204016
For 1st try I'd say it looks pretty spot on from the pictures. Is the tapered square any good? I think it should handle that little extra nose weight just fine and will probably look great once painted up and in the air. Please post the finished build!

MPBJR

The tapered square was a little tight on the width, but I'm guessing everyone's can be slightly different sizes based on how they built it. A little trimming of the battery box, and squeezing the sides to help compact it some, and it fits just fine. I'll keep tinkering with it, I have played with my slicer settings and have V2 of the LW-PLA printing now. I'll post some finished pics once painting is done, hopefully this weekend.
Thanks again!