20161122_140122.jpg

20161123_055210.jpg

20161123_055241.jpg

20161123_055251.jpg

20161123_055259.jpg

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Vincent,

This already looks awesome! Have you ever considered designing a C-130?

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
Awesome build! I'm the one that requested the P-47 plans awhile back. But haven't built it yet. Plans are printed and awaiting there turn on the build table! Please post some pics of the fuselage skinning process. The plans don't include the templates and I haven't done any skins from scratch without templates before. I Love the shape of the thunderbolt fuselage!

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
Will do! Might have to move this one up on the build list! There's not any other plans out there for this bird. Not sure why the 47 is so over looked? They say the 47 saved so many pilots because of it ruggedness!

Jaxx

Vincent,
Do you think the wing would fail if it was built without the plywood?

Last edited:

unrauv

Well you could double up on the straight spars on the inside. I just put the plywood in for extra strength. Remember to put the pull strings in for the aileron wires it much easier pull the wires in after the wing is fit. The wing openings require some sanding to get the wing in and not too tight.

I have made more modifications to the plans, updated version on the website. I have added stringers to the side bulkheads for easier skinning. I have also doubled the first build head to get a sanded round appearance for the nose.

Last edited:

unrauv

Yes, I have to find a nice top, front and side view from the internet images. I will put it on my list of things "To Do". I am currently working on a 6' B-29 Super Fortress. Bit that could go on the back burner.

Trying to build most of my models this winter as I always find fixes and design changes.

Jaxx

It's amazing to watch how your builds come together. I love WWII planes, so it's been great going through your build pics.

unrauv

Stringers added for skinning and strength.

20161124_081607.jpg

Notice the holes in the fuse, I have fixed this error on the current plans on the website. The side bulkheads will have nice slots and are under the upper bulkheads. 5 mm stringers also added to the side bulk heads.

Last edited:

Jaxx

Wow! I think I'm going to have to build this one. I really like how it's designed with the ribs. Did you use hot glue on the ribbed section, or gorilla glue?

Last edited:

Jaxx

Vincent,

When you start your designs, do you design them in 3D then flatten out the parts to make the plans, or do you design the flattened parts straight from the 3-view image?

unrauv

Wow! I think I'm going to have to build this one. I really like how it's designed with the ribs. Did you use hot glue on the ribbed section, or gorilla glue?

I only use hot glue when I need fast hold. Spots on the wing when I do the fold over. The bulkheads on the fuse, in all the other areas I use white Gorilla glue because its light.

unrauv

Designing

Vincent,

When you start your designs, do you design them in 3D then flatten out the parts to make the plans, or do you design the flattened parts straight from the 3-view image?

I start with just a 2D image found on the internet. I then start with the wing generally adding 20% more wing area because of size and Bernoulli's affect.

B-29SuperFortress.png

Defiant.png

Jaxx

Do you add any water when using the Gorilla glue? The instructions call for water activate the glue. I'm concerned about getting the paper on the foam board wet.

Last edited:

Jaxx

I start with just a 2D image found on the internet. I then start with the wing generally adding 20% more wing area because of size and Bernoulli's affect.

Thanks for the pictures! That's exactly the answer I was looking for.