P-82 Twin Mustang Build Log for Flite Fest Ohio

Liam B

Wow - you are motoring through this! Like the dihedral doohickey.

Okay - if I understand this correctly, Psyborg has volunteered to build a trebuchet - Subscribed! ;)

DamoRC

Haha, I didn’t notice that. PsyBorg, I better see that trebuchet. Or at least a human powered winch lol

Liam B

So I actually got the middle wing done. I’m not very impressed with it, to be honest. The wings don’t line up at all, and the leading edge is about 2mm forward on the left wing. Nevertheless, I need to keep telling myself it doesn’t matter because that’s where the fuselages slide in anyway, and nobody will notice when the wings are on. Plus it doesn’t greatly effect flying characteristics... I think.

5EFE4A57-B515-46FD-B691-C0BF822891CC.jpeg 10EEFDCF-79B1-4CAB-A7D1-462F7B57272C.jpeg

Liam B

Wow, time for a much needed update!

The wings have been adjusted to fit well. What I ended up doing was cutting the spar alignments inside the center wing, which allows me to naturally line up the spars and just glue them in place (I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT GLUE WORKS WHEN BONDING WOOD TO PAPER ON FOAMBOARD!) when I get there. That being said, the plane will most likely have to be put into combat on Sunday as a ‘MERICAN send off!

Otherwise, I’ve gotten one fuselage completely done minus the electronics and battery hatch and, and the other is just about done as well. It just needs the formers installed. Next after that is electronics (which I already have wired and ready to install) and I need to finish the tail section (elevator and rudder, which will be built seperately and glued on once I’m there). All the posterboard turtle deck will be installed there as well.

Basically, I’m hoping to be able to get this thing in the air when I’m down there in less than 3 hours, box to airborne!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT GLUE WORKS WHEN BONDING WOOD TO PAPER ON FOAMBOARD!)

Hot glue will work but depending on how much you need it might be difficult to get it assembled on time. Gorilla glue will work great and give you time to work the pieces together, but it will take a few hours to dry and you will have to hold 'er still while it is drying.

I presume a medium time to set (10-15 mins) epoxy would be best but I have not experience using the stuff so don't take my word for it.

DamoRC

Liam B

Hot glue will work but depending on how much you need it might be difficult to get it assembled on time. Gorilla glue will work great and give you time to work the pieces together, but it will take a few hours to dry and you will have to hold 'er still while it is drying.

I presume a medium time to set (10-15 mins) epoxy would be best but I have not experience using the stuff so don't take my word for it.

DamoRC

I can get the wings to hold themselves in the correct spot using the dihedral gauge, so I’ll use some gorilla glue. Thanks for the suggestion!

I tested both super77 and hot glue and neither held very well. They both peeled.

Liam B

Another update here. Both fuselages are in their shipping-ready form (no turtle deck, no tail) and now I’m installing servos in the wings and building the tail!

Liam B

All done! It’s ready to ship and is fully functioning minus the servos and turtle decking!

3A4A5D99-6C75-43FF-849C-EE5A81689EDF.jpeg
19FEBF45-23AD-4429-AA68-175C5C4F4276.jpeg
B07937E4-91B4-405B-BDA2-D8506C11A661.jpeg
A0FD3C77-5129-4176-8DCC-53DB841846FC.jpeg

The cost to ship this beast is ridiculous! Close to $60, but totally worth it. I’m going to need some help getting this thing put together and I STILL HAVE NO CANOPY! So if someone could help me make a cockpit canopy, please do!

See you at Flite Fest!!!

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Wow that was fast. And $60 doesn't seem too bad for shipping - what was the weight and size, who are you shipping with?

Great job on the fuses!

DamoRC

Liam B

Wow that was fast. And $60 doesn't seem too bad for shipping - what was the weight and size, who are you shipping with?

Great job on the fuses!

DamoRC

It was 10 pounds and the box was around 55x8x35. It was through FedEx and it actually turned out to be $110 to ship in order to get it there on time.

Liam B

I just took a peep at some plans for a full scale P-82, and it turns out that the fuselages are longer than usual. Oh well...

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Very cool. I've wanted to do this to a mini mustang, but have other projects that take priority.