P40 Build

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I started with E Flite Cub and Timber. Glad I did, although expensive. Both helped me get into the sport etc. Had a couple of guys at our field doing flite test and was intrigued enough to try it. I agree...really has brought a lot of satisfaction and fun to the entire sport
Both the carbon cub and timber X are on my "to buy" list!

Scary

Maiden flight today. Had to remove the prop spinner. Too much 'wobble'. Very happy with solid performance and snappy response on high rates.

Glad it was a great maiden, and good to see your not one to just hammer it and have a crazy left hand turn climb out. Have you looked at the bloody baron it looks intense but can be flown pretty docile

moke

Glad it was a great maiden, and good to see your not one to just hammer it and have a crazy left hand turn climb out. Have you looked at the bloody baron it looks intense but can be flown pretty docile

ordered and received the DR1 Tri Fokker.

Scary

Also good use of rudder, don't know much on dr1 but I did build the se5 and it's a hand full likes to tip stall ,have to keep the speed up in turns good luck

Rhaps

Elite member
Maiden flight today. Had to remove the prop spinner. Too much 'wobble'. Very happy with solid performance and snappy response on high rates.

Congrats on succesful maiden (also on nice airfield)
Sorry to hear about spinner. Did you out collar on axle before adding prop? Just asking because I didn't notice any wobble on mine.

moke

Congrats on succesful maiden (also on nice airfield)
Sorry to hear about spinner. Did you out collar on axle before adding prop? Just asking because I didn't notice any wobble on mine.
Yes I did an out collar. But perhaps not exactly right size or something. Ordered up some hardware that should seat the back plate better

moke

Also good use of rudder, don't know much on dr1 but I did build the se5 and it's a hand full likes to tip stall ,have to keep the speed up in turns good luck

I have tip stalled a couple of other models because I was too shy with speed. so great advice. living and learning

moke

Finally got Callie Graphics...'installed'. Pretty sure it will fly even better now!
p40 decals.jpg

moke

out later this week for second fights. Really love this model so far. Heck...the graphics cost me as much as the kit! First flight was solid just like a PNP. Cheap enough that I'm brave enough to actually try stuff, e.g. rolls, loops etc. And I enjoyed the build process

daniZZ

Hi everybody

I started a FT P40 build. Take a look to post #1387 and #1388 in dis tread. I want to build it with removable wings. Can anybody please point me in the good direction doing this. I saw some builds with removable wings but only the end result. I would be interested in the description of the process to not rely again on guesswork due to my lack of experience in scratch builds. I don't want to ruin it. I think it turned out quite nice.
Sorry forgot the link
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...uarantine-build-off.62361/page-70#post-566510

Thank you

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hi everybody

I started a FT P40 build. Take a look to post #1387 and #1388 in dis tread. I want to build it with removable wings. Can anybody please point me in the good direction doing this. I saw some builds with removable wings but only the end result. I would be interested in the description of the process to not rely again on guesswork due to my lack of experience in scratch builds. I don't want to ruin it. I think it turned out quite nice.
Sorry forgot the link
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...uarantine-build-off.62361/page-70#post-566510

Thank you
You could do it like it is done on the FT Spitfire build, where the wing is slid in and glued on the bottom thin part of the fuse, then at the leading edge and trailing edge of the fuse under the wing you cut across the fuse. There might have to be some reinforcing of the fuse on the inside since there is a battery box ahead of the wing and a vent in behind, but it can be done. Watch the build vid for the FT Spitfire and you will see what i mean, they do a removable wing option on it that could easily be adapted here. I also have a build thread on the FT Spitfire with a removable wing if it helps, here is a link.

daniZZ

Done the wing.
This thing is huge....
But looks awesome IMO.
Still have to cover the lower part of the wing. Gonna be yellow also.
Printed out some Mig3 exhaust from thingiverse scaled up 120%.
Going to look nice on the side.

Attachments

• IMG_20200426_223222.jpg
    IMG_20200426_223222.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200426_223209.jpg
    IMG_20200426_223209.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200426_223149.jpg
    IMG_20200426_223149.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200426_223122.jpg
    IMG_20200426_223122.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

moke

Done the wing.
This thing is huge....
But looks awesome IMO.
Still have to cover the lower part of the wing. Gonna be yellow also.
Printed out some Mig3 exhaust from thingiverse scaled up 120%.
Going to look nice on the side.
nicely done. you will enjoy flying it

moke

Beefed up my landing gear after knocking it off twice now. Glued a 'top' over the wire where it inserts into wing. Also added a tail wheel cause the noise skid makes is kind of irritating. Didn't have any problem with directional control with skid though. Rudder has been very effective. Added a couple of decals on bottom of wing to help visual orientation too. Enjoying flying this one!

20200427_110512.jpg