P40 Pics and Maiden Video

Hey there!

Wanted to post this thread as I’m pretty stoked about this plane. This was my first scratch build and my only other plane is the Sport Cub S. This community was super helpful with a few beginner questions I had getting started so thank you! Here is the plane! Used the power pack C and purchased a Spektrum AR637T so I could program AS3X and Safe as I am new to flying. Here is the maiden video:
pics attached!

Attachments

• 826809D6-BDD6-409D-89E8-799F5C0AC930.jpeg
    826809D6-BDD6-409D-89E8-799F5C0AC930.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 2A7EF89C-92FA-4967-A1A5-57C9D9117DBE.jpeg
    2A7EF89C-92FA-4967-A1A5-57C9D9117DBE.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 6F5B70F2-CCB3-4407-8693-749BF1715F75.jpeg
    6F5B70F2-CCB3-4407-8693-749BF1715F75.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • F4E8DB0D-9981-40FC-978B-B8C251ACD1E8.jpeg
    F4E8DB0D-9981-40FC-978B-B8C251ACD1E8.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0

Homey

Elite member
Hey there!

Wanted to post this thread as I’m pretty stoked about this plane. This was my first scratch build and my only other plane is the Sport Cub S. This community was super helpful with a few beginner questions I had getting started so thank you! Here is the plane! Used the power pack C and purchased a Spektrum AR637T so I could program AS3X and Safe as I am new to flying. Here is the maiden video:
pics attached!
Well done. I love this plane as well. It is super stable for a warbird. Because it's so quiet, I just put in my machine gun fx unit. Use the gear switch to activate. Love this hobby!

Peter

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Great build and an even smoother flight man. The safe system is nice to have to help with the flight dynamics and the muscle memory to good flights. But you don't want to use it as a crutch. If you get some confidence in the your flying skills try flying with it off for a pass or two. It has the safety option to pull you out of trouble as I understand

danskis

Master member
Congrats! To get that flying on the first hand launch is huge!!! You did great. Its hard to tell from your last pic - bottom of the plane - but are your aileron control horns facing backwards i.e. wide part/holes at the back? If so this may make a big difference in how the plane will eventually fly.

Thanks all! I’ve turned safe off on the sport Cub a bit and am trying to get in the habit of not overdoing it’s on the controls. And good eye with the control horns. 👀. I suppose I should cut those out and re-glue them in the correct way.

danskis

Master member
You should either cut them off (with a saw) and put new ones right next to them or take them out and reglue them. Do they give you xtras in the kit? Put the holes right over the hinge line so your ailerons will move the same amount up and down and put the pushrods in the holes closest to the wing. Before you turn the safe off on the P40 find a field with less trees or better yet no trees.

Yeah it is awesome when you make something and it actually flies. I never get over that feeling. Road or Mountain?

Only have the one pair in the kit so will cut them out with the hobby knife and glue them in the other way. And I was expecting a crash and burn so pretty stoked 😂. And road and track! Mess around on the dirt with a cyclocross bike, but mainly stick to roads and racing in circles.

danskis

Master member
Any bike ride is a good one - I've been mountain biking for the last 20 years - only a 6 hour drive to Moab from home.

You can cut those horns off flush and cut some new ones out of a plastic gift card - some are thicker/stronger than others. Make holes by heating up the wire with a lighter and poking it through the gift card. Cut new slots and put some hot glue in first and then shove the card in. You can also make them out of those funny shaped dental floss holders. You can cut those with a scissors too and they are really strong. 100 for a buck at the dollar store.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Any bike ride is a good one - I've been mountain biking for the last 20 years - only a 6 hour drive to Moab from home.

You can cut those horns off flush and cut some new ones out of a plastic gift card - some are thicker/stronger than others. Make holes by heating up the wire with a lighter and poking it through the gift card. Cut new slots and put some hot glue in first and then shove the card in. You can also make them out of those funny shaped dental floss holders. You can cut those with a scissors too and they are really strong. 100 for a buck at the dollar store.
Only have the one pair in the kit so will cut them out with the hobby knife and glue them in the other way. And I was expecting a crash and burn so pretty stoked 😂. And road and track! Mess around on the dirt with a cyclocross bike, but mainly stick to roads and racing in circles.

Gents i just wanna say i respect the cyclist thing. most people that take riding seriously are in good shape physically, very healthy and strong, same as swimmers. Hats off to you boys for the motivation you put into yourselves but how you inspire others to join you. I salute you

If anything i would like to pay it forward to you and hook you guys up to someone i know here on the forums who is also into riding, this is my friend @Marty72. He has reached out to me in the beginning of his career in the hobby and in our relationship so far we have inspired, motivated and helped each other along the way. Honestly given his dedication to learning the hobby and how open minded he is i find him to be in the top 3 people to meet in any forum or chat. You guys would really enjoy his input and experience I am sure on many levels, as much as I am sure you will see value in getting to know him, you two seem like the kind of people that would benefit him as well.

I just called him out by name so he should chime in at some point in time. As reliable as he is he is a busy guy as well. Again cheers to you (y)

Thanks for the help on the control horns! Managed to use the glue gun to melt the glue and pull them out without damaging the foam. Flipped them around and have way more aileron movement! I’m in CO so the mountains are my playground on the bike :).
Stoked about this community and how supportive everybody is. @Marty72 ways down to talk bikes and excited to be learning more about RC. Thanks for the intro @BATTLEAXE!

Attachments

• 4F0901C8-6889-464A-B799-6610A3308942.jpeg
    4F0901C8-6889-464A-B799-6610A3308942.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0

danskis

Master member
That looks great. Glad to see that was easy....I'm not an expert on it but I believe you want the holes on the hinge line so there is the same amount of up and down or left/right. With ailerons its easy to get way to much movement - you should go back and set them to the recommended specs on the kit. I know its a pain but it will delay the inevitable crash and save your plane.

danskis

Master member
Some of the older planes don't have all the specs. Try looking on the plan. I'm new to ailerons as I've been mostly flying wings. That said try 7mm up and down - a little more than the thickness of a piece of foam. It doesn't take much. Warning: this advice is worth what you paid for it.