P47 Thunderbolt mod build

Beavis

Thanks. Interesting statement. How do plans and sketches get translated into tiled plans? Is it some sort of CAD program that people use? I might need to go check out the scratch build section.

Beavis

We regret to inform you that the P-47 Thunderfoam was lost in action on or about 28JAN2018 while engaged with enemy forces in the skies over Arizona.

Attachments

• 20180128_173354.jpg
    20180128_173354.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 0

Beavis

The park I go to has an occasional "dead spot" where I sometimes lose signal for a second or 2, and the plane is not responsive. It wasn't responding, and got in a mildly weird attitude. When I started regaining control, the shadows confused me, and I thought I was looking at the top instead of the belly. Brain became inverted, and it pounded the ground hard.

My dad's a TV repairman. He has the ultimate set of tools. I think I can fix it.

Gonna need some major surgery.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Aww don't lie, admit it you flew into the sun:p Just kidding, I wonder why there would be a dead spot.

I hope you and your dad can get it fixed, the damage doesn't look too bad.
I was also wondering how does it take off with the landing gear?

Beavis

My dad's a TV repairman. He has the ultimate set of tools. I think I can fix it.

Quote from Jeff Spicoli, Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
54552816.jpg

My Dad has very little mechanical inclination. Stuff like RC planes would be frustrating and impractical to him. I am the dad in the equation. My 16 year old son offered his encouragement, tho. He has seen the murder I have visited upon my Simple Scout, and I was still able to make it fly each week.

The park has a cell tower at the end of it. I only encounter oddities when flying in that half of the park.

My son flies a mini-scout. I approached him tonight about maybe doing a mini-Bolt. The mini planes have a better strength to size ratio, and seem to survive mishaps better than the big'uns. I am going to pull out my plans, and see if I can reduce the wing and the tail to mini sizes.

I didn't fly it into the sun, but it was in that direction such that shadow fell on the side of the plane in my view.

I hand launch it for takeoff. The ground at the park is a little rough. But it lands very nice. In fact, coming in from the maiden I laid down my best landing ever.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I thought it was a cell tower of some sort. And if you mod the mini scout could you please post your progress, I'd love to see it!

Beavis

Will do for sure. This one I made sure to scan my mods to the plans so I can replicate and/or share later. There shouldn't be any kind of top hatch, so I should be able to simplify the cockpit and upper rear fuselage. It will be 4 channel.

I will first try building with the single fold air foil wings that the mini Scout uses, but will see how that holds up. I look at the FT mini mustang, and that has the layered folded wings. We'll see if it will hold up.

I'm not sure I will ever put as much detail effort into a future plane. The ROI didn't seem to add up after it was all said and done. Maybe simpler aesthetics would be best. I'm still a little numb after the flight disaster.:( But that's why we play the game.

Last edited:

Beavis

Thought I would share my progress on the new "Mini-Bolt".

I decided that I wouldn't irritate myself with tiny details on scale shapes, etc. IMO, the defining characteristics of a P-47 are the fat fuselage, wing shape, and rudder/elevator shape.

In dealing with a "fat fuselage", I just used the pure stock mini scout fuselage design. The only difference was lowering the slots for the wings. Since the wings were lower, the rudder/elevator servos had to be above the wing, and staggered slightly fore/aft of each other. To facilitate easier servo install, I made the cockpit opening larger. It would be covered up later by the posterboard.
20180130_014157.jpg

Wings were roughly the same width and length as the mini scout, but obviously shaped different. The airfoil fold stayed the same, and the wing construction technique matched the mini scout. The wing slid into the fuse just like it was supposed to, and squared up easily.

Rudder and elevator shapes were simply modded cuts of the mini scout patterns. Both control surfaces aren't totally scale, but it easily lends P-47 to the imagination. You get the idea.
mini bolt elevator.jpg
mini bolt rudder.jpg

The turtledeck and cockpit areas actually weren't that bad. It required only 2 pieces of posterboard: One from the nose to the cockpit, and one from the tail up to and including the cockpit. It required the custom creation of a taller former for the front and back of the canopy, and used one smaller former from the mini scout to secure the posterboard in from of the canopy. I sandwiched a taller former with the smaller one to make my transition to the sloped front of the canopy.
20180130_170355.jpg
20180131_021313.jpg

Here is the turtle deck construction in stages. The front deck starts first:
20180131_025143.jpg
20180131_025547.jpg
20180131_025111.jpg
20180131_030942.jpg
20180131_031417.jpg
20180131_033528.jpg

Beavis

And the almost final product.

Side view with aileron servos. Servos are centered on the fold for the wing airfoil. They make nice reference pads for CoG testing. Landing gear will attach under the wings, outboard of the servos. This is a departure from the mini scout build. Doing this will make it a little more representative of a P-47, and will give a nice wide base for takeoff/landing stability.
20180131_033607.jpg

I'll be running the A pack motor and 2s battery that powered my mini scout. Once I get things dialed in, I will likely install the slightly hotter F pack, and/or consider going from a 2s to a 3s.
20180131_033627.jpg

And finally, a side by side comparison of Mini-Scout with Mini-Bolt:
20180131_033743.jpg

Beavis

Thanks!

Gear attached, ready for maiden. I used .078 wire, and some 1.86" wheels from my local hobby store. I also used some thin flat coffee stir stick under the wire when I glued it under the wing. I wanted to add a touch more surface area where it attached to wing.

We'll see how the weight comes in. It might be a tiny bit more than the mini scout, but can't be that much. Balance is still just a hair nose heavy, so still good there.

20180201_171554.jpg

20180201_171635.jpg

Beavis

Yes, will post this weekend. I had a small scaling issue when I scanned my mods to the tiled pages. When they were printed, they came out a tiny amount smaller than the originals. I have to work through that, then I can post.

Here is the maiden:

It started out pretty tail heavy, and had to be brought back in. It actually got to the point where I lost all of my elevator trim trying to compensate. After moving the battery, receiver, and battery alarm as far forward as possible it became doable.

This plane was using the mini scout power pod (A pack?), and definitely needed some heavy throttle. I will probably do the F pack that the mini mustang uses. I have one on hand.

Beavis

My full size bolt is now totally dead. I repaired it, and was somewhat proud of what I was able to achieve. First flight out it pitched over to the left right after launch (wing balance issues?), and was so difficult to control I couldn't get it trimmed before it crashed. This finished it off.:(

But my mini-Bolt is still kicking it. I'm running the F pack now, and this is kinda my "go to" mini. I warm up on this plane, and then move to a bigger plane after burning through 2+ batteries. I actually did my first intentional sustained inverted flight with this plane, and it performs great.

I gave it a little bit of aesthetics treatment, like a quick gray spray paint, stars/bars on the wings, highlight of cockpit/canopy, and stripes on the rudder/stabilizer.

A couple of weeks ago it came in a little hot on the landing, and broke off both landing gears. It turns out it's a fantastic belly lander, so the gear stayed off, and I save some weight.:D

Maxx

And the build is pretty much complete, minus the aesthetics.

I used poster board with several formers to make the cockpit and fuselage curves. I did a first layer to give an overall cigar shape, and then a 2nd layer to do the cockpit and the "spine". Part of the challenge was to integrate a top hatch for the battery in case I squeeze in a 2200 3s battery.

I started from the back and found that the cockpit just covered the rear edge of the hatch, so it became a great place to anchor the rear of the hatch.

Landing gear were salvaged from my wrecked Spitfire.
Congrats dude ! Very nice plane !