P51 Master Series Kit availability

dingram00

I just recently found out about flite test from doing searches on P51 and came across the video of John doing the build. My question is why is the kit no longer available? It was my understanding that this was a new item less than a year ago, but now discontinued. Are the kits a limited time only thing and I'm late to the party or what? I have found where you can download free plans, but I have never built anything from scratch before.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I just recently found out about flite test from doing searches on P51 and came across the video of John doing the build. My question is why is the kit no longer available? It was my understanding that this was a new item less than a year ago, but now discontinued. Are the kits a limited time only thing and I'm late to the party or what? I have found where you can download free plans, but I have never built anything from scratch before.

It’s discontinued in the Maker Foam. They had quality issues with it, and will be returning to the brown water resistant foam, so they discontinued it in that model number and haven’t stocked up with the new one yet.

Also, if you have never built anything from scratch, I would not recommend the Master Series P51 as a first build. It’s not an easy build compared to some of the earlier models of planes, and at least one of the parts (the wooden wing spar) is not easy to source the specific materials. Maybe start with the Simple Scout or Simple Cub first for a first scratch build.

dingram00

OK. Thanks for the information. I have never scratch built anything, so I was hoping to get the kit. I will patiently wait. In the meantime I have ordered the Mustang and Spitfire speed build kits to get me started. I would like to learn scratch building, is there a particular thread to help newbies learn this skill. Again, thanks for the response.

sprzout

Mentor
OK. Thanks for the information. I have never scratch built anything, so I was hoping to get the kit. I will patiently wait. In the meantime I have ordered the Mustang and Spitfire speed build kits to get me started. I would like to learn scratch building, is there a particular thread to help newbies learn this skill. Again, thanks for the response.

The FT Mustang build (the non-Master Series) is a decent one to build, and will give you some of the basics as you go through the build video.

If you’ve never flown before, though, it’s not an easy plane to fly and land; it needs a bit of speed to bring it down and you’ll want a bit of a runway to land it on. It’s not like the Tiny Trainer or Bushwacker.

dingram00

The FT Mustang build (the non-Master Series) is a decent one to build, and will give you some of the basics as you go through the build video.

If you’ve never flown before, though, it’s not an easy plane to fly and land; it needs a bit of speed to bring it down and you’ll want a bit of a runway to land it on. It’s not like the Tiny Trainer or Bushwacker.

I understand how difficult the warbirds can be. I've had a few expire on me prematurely. I am wanting to learn how to build so that when that time comes, it doesn't put a huge dent in the hobby fund. Thanks for the information.

sprzout

Mentor
I understand how difficult the warbirds can be. I've had a few expire on me prematurely. I am wanting to learn how to build so that when that time comes, it doesn't put a huge dent in the hobby fund. Thanks for the information.

No worries. Most first time builders on FT are also first time pilots, and I wasn’t sure of your pilot level.

iceman2k

I know that I am late to the party but a few things that I learned was you will mess up some cuts but don't let it get to you. I got the foamwerks system which is great. plenty of blades. my first foam build, i used up 2 of the breakaway utility knives. study the videos and the plans. most of all have fun. if you have any questions just ask. you will find that the ppl on here will do what they can to help you.