Pacific Ace restoration

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I recently got this little guy for $5. A club guy was cleaning out his garage and found it. From the little placard inside it's a Pacific Ace and it's ~36 years old (build date says 1984) though I'm guessing at some point it was modernized a little since it came with a motor (still a very old motor, but at least it's brushless :ROFLMAO:) It also came with a big nicad which I might use just for giggle factor but I don't know if it even works. I'll cycle it tonight.

Other than that, it came with pretty much nothing. There is pull-pull control set up for both elevator and rudder, but there's mounts for only one servo inside. My guess is the control wires for the elevator connected to a servo horn which was just screwed into a piece of wood - that way the elevator angle could be changed but only on the ground, and it was set up in such a way that altitude changes could be achieved with throttle control, enabling it to be flown on just 2 channels. I can imagine with 1980s era RC gear, this was about the maximum number of channels you could get into this thing before the receiver became too bulky.

Did I mention it didn't come with a wing? I'll need to build one. Not too hard, I checked the plans and it looks pretty simple and it's materials I've already got anyway.

P_20200902_165342.jpg

The covering was pretty baggy when I got it. I tried to shrink it up a little but I think it's just too old, and this is probably as good as it's going to get. It also looked like it had never been cleaned in its entire life.

You can really notice the degree of slack in the covering in this picture. The tail surfaces appear to have held up quite nicely though. Speaking of them, there's my first major dilemma. I don't know what covering material was used on the tail, and would like to use the same covering for the wing. It's clearly not monokote or ultracote - the wing in the background is from another airplane and it's covered with transparent yellow monokote and it's clearly much more opaque than the covering material. The bad news here is if the tail covering is original to 1984 it's very unlikely that it's still manufactured with exactly the same properties - so I will need to find an alternative. Anyone got any ideas?

The guy also appears to have used tape to hinge the control surfaces which seems to have worked? There's not a lot of lateral movement to them, so I see no need to replace it.

P_20200902_172026.jpg

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Printed the wing plans, and the wing rib templates. Apparently there's two different ways to do the spar here - either you can have a single spar at the bottom of the wing or two thinner ones in the normal spots. I did the second option, as it would make adding shear webbing more effective. I'm not sure if I will - though adding some more strength to the wing is a good idea as it wasn't originally designed for electric power.

Here are the eight uncut sheets for the eight main ribs. I used pretty light basa for six of them, but two are somewhat heavier and stiffer balsa. I will use those two for the two ribs in the middle of the wing that sit on the longerons, for extra strength in that area.

P_20200902_225259.jpg

The ribs after cutting and sanding. The template is stuck to the other side. They look a little rough here: I went over them with 600 grit after and now they're much nicer looking.

P_20200902_233059.jpg

All the ribs done, plus the two extra that go on the wingtips.

P_20200903_000052.jpg

I will get to framing it up tomorrow as I ran out of time to cut the wingtips. I think I'll actually cover this in the Willy Nillies transparent stuff. It's light, and the color seems to match pretty good. I needed to buy some stuff from them anyway...

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I recently got this little guy for $5. A club guy was cleaning out his garage and found it. From the little placard inside it's a Pacific Ace and it's ~36 years old (build date says 1984) though I'm guessing at some point it was modernized a little since it came with a motor (still a very old motor, but at least it's brushless :ROFLMAO:) It also came with a big nicad which I might use just for giggle factor but I don't know if it even works. I'll cycle it tonight.

Other than that, it came with pretty much nothing. There is pull-pull control set up for both elevator and rudder, but there's mounts for only one servo inside. My guess is the control wires for the elevator connected to a servo horn which was just screwed into a piece of wood - that way the elevator angle could be changed but only on the ground, and it was set up in such a way that altitude changes could be achieved with throttle control, enabling it to be flown on just 2 channels. I can imagine with 1980s era RC gear, this was about the maximum number of channels you could get into this thing before the receiver became too bulky.

Did I mention it didn't come with a wing? I'll need to build one. Not too hard, I checked the plans and it looks pretty simple and it's materials I've already got anyway.

View attachment 178366

The covering was pretty baggy when I got it. I tried to shrink it up a little but I think it's just too old, and this is probably as good as it's going to get. It also looked like it had never been cleaned in its entire life.

You can really notice the degree of slack in the covering in this picture. The tail surfaces appear to have held up quite nicely though. Speaking of them, there's my first major dilemma. I don't know what covering material was used on the tail, and would like to use the same covering for the wing. It's clearly not monokote or ultracote - the wing in the background is from another airplane and it's covered with transparent yellow monokote and it's clearly much more opaque than the covering material. The bad news here is if the tail covering is original to 1984 it's very unlikely that it's still manufactured with exactly the same properties - so I will need to find an alternative. Anyone got any ideas?

The guy also appears to have used tape to hinge the control surfaces which seems to have worked? There's not a lot of lateral movement to them, so I see no need to replace it.

View attachment 178368
Looks like a fun little project! I’ll be following. :)

TooJung2Die

Master member
I love rubber free-flight to RC conversion. I've made a few and they're a joy to fly. The mistake I made with the first build was thinking it had to be beefed up because of the added weight and power. Not so! The opposite is true. Build as light as you can. Rubber motors are pretty heavy and the weight of modern RC gear isn't that much different. The fuselage design can often use a balsa diet. You won't be applying as much stress as the tightly wound rubber would.

I wish I had a better suggestion for covering the wing. Use what you have and be careful not to over shrink causing warps. Doculam is a good choice but lacks color.

Last edited:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
OK, no shear webbing then. I noticed when cleaning out the dust that had accumulated in the thing the rear fuselage actually does have a mounting hook for a rubber band. Though, why whoever built it covered it in the considerably heavier plastic material rather than just tissue for a rubber model is a mystery to me. I'm thinking it was converted to electric after being too heavy to fly well under rubber power.

How does the Willy Nillies film shrink up? If it's comparable to Solite than it will probably be useable, I'll just have to be careful. I've used the latter on a few small builds already and if you be careful shrinking it it works fine.

Last edited:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Progress on the wings. For some reason my camera gets really confused by the wax paper and decides that everything should be yellow. Whenever I use the white paper, it doesn't happen. I almost entirely use the brown paper now as I find CA has a harder time sticking to it and the wings come off the plans much more readily after gluing. I made the wingtips out of 3/32 balsa as they would better fit flush with the trailing edge as opposed to if they were made of 1/16.

You can see an old surface receiver at top left. I was going to disassemble it (mainly just take the case off) and see if I could get it bound, as it's 3 channel and would be perfect. Unfortunately it appears the old DSM protocol is no longer supported by Spektrum stuff that advertises itself as being backwards compatible from DSMX. Damn...

P_20200903_173151.jpg

Now to sand the trailing edges down. A trick I learned a while ago is you can put masking tape on any section you don't want sanded, and provided you're light with the sandpaper (which you should always be anyway) this will protect the covered sections.

P_20200903_180345.jpg

Both wing halves finished. Surprisingly to me, there are no gussets specified on the plan. This seems like it would make glue joints on the innermost ribs have to take quite a lot of strain, and be susceptible to breakage. I added some small 1/16" gussets in this area later, and it seemed to increase the wing stiffness greatly while only adding a tiny amount of weight.

P_20200903_190101.jpg

Wing is joined, and finished, apart from covering. You can see the gussets here. I don't actually think shear webbing is needed - the wing feels pretty strong for being naked, as the covering film will add a significant amount of stiffness. The way they have you join the wing is also a little weird - they just have you do a butt joint on the two upper spars. I ended up sandwiching them with some 1/16 light balsa.

There's no dihedral measurement specified on the plan. I just looked at some photos of other completed airplanes and guessed from there. I gave it 1 3/4 inches on each wingtip, and that feels and looks like plenty. Hard to see in this picture though because of perspective.

P_20200903_204854.jpg

And here it is sitting on the plane. I really hope the covering is the right color. I might also print some decals to put on the wing...

P_20200903_205021 (1).jpg

speedbirdted

Legendary member
So, this little project has been on the back burner for some time (as has pretty much all my other builds - work has me a busy bee) but I've made a little progress. I got some transparent Ultracote for another plane and decided to see if it matched the coloring on the tail. The transparency is almost a perfect match and the color is pretty close however not exact, but I would take it. The shrinkage however is strong enough that if I covered the wing in it, it would probably break everything. I made a little test cube out of 1/8 sticks and covered it in it, and it broke it when I tried to get the wrinkles out of it, with either an iron or the heat gun.

Obviously I need to try some more materials. I have a feeling Solite would be spot on for this project but obviously I can't use that. Stevens Aeromodel sells this stuff called Aerolite which I've heard is pretty good - it better be, judging by the fact that a 2 meter roll of it is 47 dollars :cautious: It's advertised at 0.6 oz/sq yd which is pretty good, and around what Solite weighed - Monokote and Ultracote are like 2-3 oz/sq yd. Doculam is probably the best material in terms of minimizing potential breakages from shrinking, but it's also transparent. I've seen people try to paint the stuff to make it colored transparent but it usually ends up cloudy looking. For now though I'll try the Willy Nillies covering material. According to some people in the Facebook group it functions similar to Solite but I've heard no mention of how heavy it is. My main draw towards it is it's pretty inexpensive and you can buy small portions of it so if it ends up not working it's not like it's a huge investment down the toilet.

I'm also wondering if I should keep the pull-pull control on the rudder and elevator. Sure, it's really cool (and light!) but it's a pain to set up. But then again, in a covered fuselage, pushrods are also a pain to set up...

TooJung2Die

Master member
If the tail feathers hadn't been already covered I'd go old school and use tissue or silkspan. I have two electric RC airplanes covered with tissue. I didn't think either would last but I haven't had a puncture or tear ... yet. You can't beat the real thing for looks. Would you consider stripping and recovering the tail?

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I figure since the covering already there is free of problems I should leave it. There's only so many shades of yellow, so one of the films out there is bound to match it.

The pull-pull will be kept, but the thread will be replaced with spider wire or something. The guy who built it had glued the thread into the horns with wood glue which didn't exactly work. There's some specks of glue where the servo was glued in so I'm guessing someone else other than the original builder did the RC conversion. It will need new servo mounts, but that should be pretty easy.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I took a bit of time to work on the internals some more. I found a receiver and an ESC that both fit and put them in. I also went looking for the smallest servos I had - these are both 2.5g. I mounted them each with a dab of hot glue on each side. They're pretty old too, and the neutral deadband on them is pretty wide. If they don't work how I want them to, changing them out won't be too hard I reckon. You can also see the remnants of the rails that the one servo that was in it at one point was mounted on. They did not extend to the other side. Originally I tried to put some acetone on them with an eyedropper to try and soften the glue and pull them off, but it appears the glue used to hold them on was not CA. So I had to get the saw :p Fortunately, the glue used to attach the thread originally used for the pull-pull control was CA and was easy to remove - I originally thought it was wood glue, but I guess it was just very messily applied CA that yellowed with age. I replaced it with fishing line which has both vastly less friction with the covering and probably like 1/100 of a gram less weight. It's in the tail, so it counts :p

The ESC and receiver are mounted to the right and left sides of the fuselage respectfully. A 500 2s lipo fits in between them perfectly. The fit is snug enough that no velcro or straps are required. It feels just a tad nose heavy with the battery here, but the landing gear dowel makes it hard to scoot back. Maybe I'll add a tad of ballast to the tail.

PXL_20201102_085544299.jpg

And, checking the AUW, because why not. Wooooohoo! It will probably increase by a few grams still because the wing still has no covering. My next heaviest plane is the Q-tee which has less wing area and weighs over twice as much. And I thought it was slow! This thing will be a great indoor flyer.

PXL_20201102_085323865.jpg

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
That's great, just over 3 ounces. Hope you get some decent weather to test fly. Can you show the tail feather control horns? I keep telling myself to use pull-pull on the next ultra-light build but I always end up sticking with the familiar push-pull wire.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Progress on the wings. For some reason my camera gets really confused by the wax paper and decides that everything should be yellow. Whenever I use the white paper, it doesn't happen. I almost entirely use the brown paper now as I find CA has a harder time sticking to it and the wings come off the plans much more readily after gluing. I made the wingtips out of 3/32 balsa as they would better fit flush with the trailing edge as opposed to if they were made of 1/16.

You can see an old surface receiver at top left. I was going to disassemble it (mainly just take the case off) and see if I could get it bound, as it's 3 channel and would be perfect. Unfortunately it appears the old DSM protocol is no longer supported by Spektrum stuff that advertises itself as being backwards compatible from DSMX. Damn...

View attachment 178417

Now to sand the trailing edges down. A trick I learned a while ago is you can put masking tape on any section you don't want sanded, and provided you're light with the sandpaper (which you should always be anyway) this will protect the covered sections.

View attachment 178418

Both wing halves finished. Surprisingly to me, there are no gussets specified on the plan. This seems like it would make glue joints on the innermost ribs have to take quite a lot of strain, and be susceptible to breakage. I added some small 1/16" gussets in this area later, and it seemed to increase the wing stiffness greatly while only adding a tiny amount of weight.

View attachment 178419

Wing is joined, and finished, apart from covering. You can see the gussets here. I don't actually think shear webbing is needed - the wing feels pretty strong for being naked, as the covering film will add a significant amount of stiffness. The way they have you join the wing is also a little weird - they just have you do a butt joint on the two upper spars. I ended up sandwiching them with some 1/16 light balsa.

There's no dihedral measurement specified on the plan. I just looked at some photos of other completed airplanes and guessed from there. I gave it 1 3/4 inches on each wingtip, and that feels and looks like plenty. Hard to see in this picture though because of perspective.

View attachment 178423

And here it is sitting on the plane. I really hope the covering is the right color. I might also print some decals to put on the wing...

View attachment 178424
what are those rubber bands on the propeller for?