Package drop HELP

Fin

I am looking to drop a small 250g package from a plane that can be purchased through the FT store.

It will be dropped by a servo and rubber band combination.

I need help with picking a plane from the FT store, it needs to be able to carry the small package and preferably be a thrown take off. I have decided the Guinea Pig is a little bit on the big side and it requires a runway to take off.

Any help is welcome, thanks

Crazy Goats

I have dropped stuff from the Old Fogey. The explorer could do it for sure, but really any plane will work. The plane will handle a bit odd with the weight of the package, but still fine.

Liam B

I agree with quadsview. I hand launch my Guinea by myself all the time and it works just fine.

Fin

So the Guinea is smaller than it seems? I am a beginner pilot also,(I have experience with multirotors) so is the Guinea still a good option?

Fin

How well would the versa wing fly with a small box attached to its underside? I plan on making it as aerodynamic as possible but will the weight affect it much?

Garret234

How accurate do you want to be with the drop? If it need to be really close then I would say go with something a bit slower so you have time to drop the package as close as possible. The guinea is a good option because it has a built in bomb drop. it can also fly pretty slow and has enough power to carry just about anything you want (with in reason :p).

Fin

How accurate do you want to be with the drop? If it need to be really close then I would say go with something a bit slower so you have time to drop the package as close as possible. The guinea is a good option because it has a built in bomb drop. it can also fly pretty slow and has enough power to carry just about anything you want (with in reason :p).

Not that accurate, I also plan on having a parachute that will deploy immediately after it is released which will hopefully eliminate the factor of forward momentum, so a slower plane is not 100% required.

Fin

And what about the explorer? I have seen the FT episode where they drop multiple Nerf bombs from each wing of a Bixler and the Explorer is meant to be related to it, would it be capable of carrying the package?

sorry, I just want to make sure I buy the right plane

jhbuxton4

ft guinea was my first build

Hello all! I think this is my first post. I have been following Flite test for quite a while, and finally started off with the sport cub s2 a couple months ago. I have since ordered the ft guinea and the ft explorer. I built the guinea and it flew amazing, and yes you and or a friend can hand launch it with relative ease. You won't be disappointed. Hope that helped you understand the ease of getting a bit bigger of a plane in the air with no worries. Best of luck.

P.S. The explorer is getting started this morning!

Happy Flying

Jamie

jaskoller

If you have multirotor experience you can certainly drop from one of them. I use my tricopter to drop parachuted stuffed animals/guys/items for kids all the time. I have also used my Storch, which is a GREAT bomber. (as someone stated above) I don't use my Versa, because they are a little harder to launch, and I have the Blunt nose which is a pusher, not a great combo especially with a chuted cargo drop. I have dropped from my Spit on a high speed drop once. It still handled fine. My pick for you would be a multi or the Storch.

By the way, I made my bomb drop as a stand alone devise which I can add to any plane I have and remove it as I need it. You might want to think about doing that so you can put it on anything you have.

Last edited:

Fin

By the way, I made my bomb drop as a stand alone devise which I can add to any plane I have and remove it as I need it. You might want to think about doing that so you can put it on anything you have.

that is what I was thinking, and why I wasn't so keen on the Guinea, and because the full explorer beginner kit has just been released I think I will grab that then purchase the Guinea if the explorer doesn't do what I need it to.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Fin

If you have multirotor experience you can certainly drop from one of them.

The last time I flew a multirotor, it I lost control and it was blown away by the wind, never to be seen again. I have built another one but I'm still scared that it will happen again (Im in school still and it cost me more than it should to build them)

that is why I want to try a plane, it is like a new frontier :D

Fin

when I purchase a LiPo charger from the FT store dose it come with a suitable adapter for my country? I live in Australia