Paint adherence issues to white Maker Foam

LundiThembi

Never had a problem with the brown foam board but the new white Maker Foam is much more waxy/slippery/shiny. I do all of the same preps as before such as light sanding, using painters tape, etc. but when taping lines/strips/camo/etc. paint still lifts off the surface. I use Rustoleum 2x Primer and paint.

Similar experiences? Solutions? Suggestions

Foamforce

I’ve heard that people scuff it up with a green scouring pad before painting. I haven’t tried it yet but I will soon.

RossFPV

Never had a problem with the brown foam board but the new white Maker Foam is much more waxy/slippery/shiny. I do all of the same preps as before such as light sanding, using painters tape, etc. but when taping lines/strips/camo/etc. paint still lifts off the surface. I use Rustoleum 2x Primer and paint.

Make sure you give the paint plenty of time to dry before putting tape on it. Other than that it seems like your doing everything right.

erickmoby

I’ve experienced the same problem. Has anyone found a source for the brown fb, is it still made?

LundiThembi

Ok, so the trick is lightly sand with 300+ grit and lay down SUPER light coats, I mean SUPER!!!!
It took two planes to figure this out with the help of other members. Just did this with almost zero lifting of paint. FT should mention this about their Maker foam, it was not so much an issue with their brown stuff.

Attachments

• TM1.png
    TM1.png
    854.6 KB · Views: 0

WillL84

Looks like I might just have the wife make up some decals on her Cricut instead of painting mine lol

Gazoo

Ok, so the trick is lightly sand with 300+ grit and lay down SUPER light coats, I mean SUPER!!!!
It took two planes to figure this out with the help of other members. Just did this with almost zero lifting of paint. FT should mention this about their Maker foam, it was not so much an issue with their brown stuff.
Your biplane is beautiful! Nice work.