Paint adhesion

jtuttle11

Does anyone have any idea on how to give the Brown FTFB a better surface for paint to adhere to? Initial coats went on well, BUT pulled off easily no matter How slowly or at any angle I tried. I was using Scotch Blue with the lowest tack I could find.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
Sanding prior to assembly is the best way to put paint on the brown foamboard. Check out this FT tips video for more useful innformation.

Keno

I have experimenting with Kylon Glitter Blast Clear sealer as It does not attack foam. You do have to sand the board with something like 220 grit sand paper before applying any coating. Also you need to let any coating dry thoroughly at least 48 hours. Another primer I have tried is Krylon's prime coat for difficult surfaces. Both of these are available at Lowes Also don't put it on so heavy that It will soak through the paper and get into the foam. Anyway this only my ideas and a problem that I am not aware could appear. This is a question that asked Krylon and their answer: .

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are grateful to have a chance to help.

The Thompson's products, by nature, are "penetrants." This means that the product is not designed to dry on the surface or form a surface film. Instead, it is designed to remain relatively liquid, but disappear into the surface. If you apply our product over a surface that's not absorbent, it will remain tacky/oily.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have done very little painting. I have used the duplicolor sandable primer and have yet to see chipping or peeling.

That is usually a sign of too heavy base coat not letting it bond well and more just making a skin on any surface being painted.

Ask Rockyboy if my Caudron build is still around and how that is holding up.

jtuttle11

I've been experimenting and 200 to 400 grit just knocking the sheen off the paper seems to provide plenty of 'Mechanical Grip' for the paint and eliminates peeling.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I have done very little painting. I have used the duplicolor sandable primer and have yet to see chipping or peeling.

That is usually a sign of too heavy base coat not letting it bond well and more just making a skin on any surface being painted.

Ask Rockyboy if my Caudron build is still around and how that is holding up.

The Caudron is still looking great - I credit the Krylon primer you put down as the base coat as the secret weapon. I did a FT Simple Scout with no primer and no sanding and had lots of peeling - once I started sanding then the paint started staying in place.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh yeah.. the Caudron was done with crylon sanding primer no sanding of foam jyst super light base coat to get the good bond.

The duplicolor was for something else here.

Brett_N

I second the Krylon auto-primer. I had fantastic results with it on bare (no paper) foam board.. Couple light misting coats to seal it, then a couple light coats of color over it.

Chappie66

I've been experimenting and 200 to 400 grit just knocking the sheen off the paper seems to provide plenty of 'Mechanical Grip' for the paint and eliminates peeling.
I used 220 grit and RUST-OLEUM Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Spray Paint, bought at Wal-Mart. Sanded to take "shine" off then sanded again between first and second coat to take "fluff" off.

FT_Explorer_resize.jpg FT_GP_2.jpg

Keno

I did a "tape" test on Krylon paint and Krylon Primer and posted it in "Repairs: Questions, Tips, and Shares" It confirms that this method works quite well. Two points, it is best to lightly sand to improve paint adhesion and secondly, let it dry at least for 48 hours.