Paint or tape for Foam Gliders

artest7

Can anyone give a definitive answer to, "Is tape or paint better (weight/aerodynamics) for an old Parkzone Radian 2M glider I inherited just recently? If paint, "which type of spray cans." Tape, "I heard 3mm heavy duty is good but doesnt that create too much weight? Thanks for any/all answers! AE

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I can't say for sure which is lighter paint or tape. I cover my planes entirely with colored packing tape from Tape Planet or Hobby King, both carry a wide selection of colors. It's fast, cheap, adds a bit of strength & the weight is negligible.

You need to be careful with paints, some will eat the foam. I've never heard of any tape eating the foam.

quorneng

Master member
Most rattle can paint will 'eat' foam. About the only thing guaranteed not to are the water based paints.
Weight is important when any plane is under power. Weight reduced climb performance and by the same token increases the glide speed and sink rate.
The Radian was not originally painted or taped.

artest7

The reason(s) for wanting to tape or paint my Radian <in order of importance> are 1) to help reduce dings and protect the leading edge(s) of the wing or other areas that are prone to damage, 2) since foam is porous, tape/paint would smooth out the surface(s) and increase aerodynamics and 3) to increase visibility by painting/taping black on the underwing.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The reason(s) for wanting to tape or paint my Radian <in order of importance> are 1) to help reduce dings and protect the leading edge(s) of the wing or other areas that are prone to damage, 2) since foam is porous, tape/paint would smooth out the surface(s) and increase aerodynamics and 3) to increase visibility by painting/taping black on the underwing.

Unfortunately increasing the aerodynamic performance by applying tape doesn't really help on the Radian. You might buy yourself some better performance with a smoother surface, but it will be a wash due to the weight added by the tape. It's really just trading one factor for another - reducing drag, but adding weight.

Now, if it's about just protecting the leading edge, or putting a small line of tape across it would certainly help it from being beat up by little things. Same with some simple patterns on the bottom of the wing vs. the top, so you can distinguish top and bottom - I've done that on my Versa Wings (and is HIGHLY recommended if you're going to be flying them in rolls and loops - it's REALLY easy to lose orientation against the sky when the top and the bottom are nearly identical. It won't make it a more efficient flyer, though...:(

quorneng

Master member
artest7
Whilst tape can improved ding resistance paint will not do so to anything like the same degree.
Unless you want to fly 'fast' a rough(ish) surface can actually improve the aerodynamic characteristics of a wing. The Radian is not a fast plane.
A suitable colour contrast can improve a planes visibility or perhaps more important understanding its orientation.

artest7

Skin friction drag is caused by the roughness of a glider’s surfaces. Even though the surfaces may appear smooth, they may be quite rough when viewed under a microscope. This roughness allows a thin layer of air to cling to the surface and create small eddies or areas of lower pressure that contribute to drag. You may want to read up on "Aerodynamics of Flight." Check the Glider Handbook, Chapter 3 - Aerodynamics of Flight. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aircraft/glider_handbook/media/gfh_ch03.pdf

quorneng

Master member
aetest7
Be careful to recognise the difference between wing aerodynamic performance with wing aerodynamic characteristics (the word I used earlier). A true lamina flow wing tends to have less predicable stall characteristics and thus a smaller workable range of angle of attack. It rather depends on what you want the wing to be good at.

Bricks

Master member
Skin friction drag is caused by the roughness of a glider’s surfaces. Even though the surfaces may appear smooth, they may be quite rough when viewed under a microscope. This roughness allows a thin layer of air to cling to the surface and create small eddies or areas of lower pressure that contribute to drag. You may want to read up on "Aerodynamics of Flight." Check the Glider Handbook, Chapter 3 - Aerodynamics of Flight. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aircraft/glider_handbook/media/gfh_ch03.pdf

But yet if you want a boat to go faster you rough up the hull, a super smooth shiny hull causes more drag.,

garylin

Very uniform rough surface will produce a fine air vortex. This air vortex will have an effect similar to ball bearings to reduce friction

guojianbin

It is recommended to paint better and have a long service life.
Can anyone give a definitive answer to, "Is tape or paint better (weight/aerodynamics) for an old Parkzone Radian 2M glider I inherited just recently? If paint, "which type of spray cans." Tape, "I heard 3mm heavy duty is good but doesnt that create too much weight? Thanks for any/all answers! AE

FrankFly

I have had paint warp an airframe. The volatile liquid in the paint can damage the material the aircraft is made of. I even had one color of a brand damage a plane while another color in an identically marked can worked fine. Unless you can test each color on the same material as your aircraft, I would not recommend it.

What I have gone to instead, is colored packing tape. I bought a 10-color pack on Amazon. The tape is very thin and light, easier to apply with no masking or clean-up.