Paint or vinyl on build?

SSV_Rob

so I have been wondering how you guys get color to your planes? I see alot of very nice looking paint jobs and some that look ok lol. so I was wondering if Vinyl wrapping our builds was a thing or if theres some sort of long prep done to get paint to look good.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I friend of mine covered his entire plane with vinyl. He took FT plans and colored them in with Inkscape or something similar and had them printed by a local printer. He replaced the paper from one side of the foam with the vinyl and cut out the plane.

The plane looked great & flew great, it was slightly heavier than a standard plane. His only complaint was the cost, about $35.

If you want more information just search the forums for skins, there are hundreds of threads telling how. Most print the skin on paper, it’s cheaper than vinyl.

Myself, I cover my plane with colored packing tape. It’s light weight, cheap, fast, water resistance and looks Ok. I get my tape from Tape Planet or Hobby King both have a good selection of colors.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I first do a light coat of oil based polyurethane (rubbed in). Make sure to get the foam on the cut edges. Then spray paint, first coat very light to keep the paper from crinkling.

flyranger

I also use colored packing tape.
20210715_072302.jpg
20210715_072302.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
so I have been wondering how you guys get color to your planes? I see alot of very nice looking paint jobs and some that look ok lol. so I was wondering if Vinyl wrapping our builds was a thing or if theres some sort of long prep done to get paint to look good.
I prefer paint because it is cheaper and lighter. Krylon and Rustoleum both work great on both dtfb and ft foam. Sanding or steel wool prep helps a lot, but sometimes I skip it if I don't expect my plane to last long. Whenever I use vinyl, I'll clean off the foam board surface and do some light sandinf near the edges so it sticks better. If I'm putting vinyl over paint I'll san the area where it'll be applied, clean it up, and stick on the vinyl. Hope this helps :)

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Michael's currently has 1'x5' rolls of Oracal 631/651 vinyl on sale for $6 each. https://www.michaels.com/oracal-651-permanent-adhesive-vinyl/M20001973.html Sale ends September 4th. So whether you use it to cover the whole plane or make individual stickers, it's a pretty good deal. Picked up a few different colors to cover my Simple Stick and make stickers with my Wife's hobby cutter.
That is a good deal on that vinyl. I almost use vinyl exclusively, If I do not then I simply add a few decals wherever I want and then apply a thin coat of Minwax Spar Urethane to my plane, because I use black foamboard it looks like I painted it a nice gloss black. Here is a plane I am currently working on and covering in vinyl
IMG_20210831_070246272_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210831_070135789.jpg

ParmesanB

That is a good deal on that vinyl. I almost use vinyl exclusively, If I do not then I simply add a few decals wherever I want and then apply a thin coat of Minwax Spar Urethane to my plane, because I use black foamboard it looks like I painted it a nice gloss black. Here is a plane I am currently working on and covering in vinyl
View attachment 206326 View attachment 206328

Holy smokes, that thing looks amazing! Is that an FT Edge?

marshaMay

Michael's currently has 1'x5' rolls of Oracal 631/651 vinyl on sale for $6 each. https://www.michaels.com/oracal-651-permanent-adhesive-vinyl/M20001973.html Sale ends September 4th. So whether you use it to cover the whole plane or make individual stickers, it's a pretty good deal. Picked up a few different colors to cover my Simple Stick and make stickers with my Wife's hobby cutter.
I guess I am a bit late:p, well reason to comment is re alive the post. Maybe I get another sale suggestion like this

dap35

Elite member
I guess I am a bit late:p, well reason to comment is re alive the post. Maybe I get another sale suggestion like this
I use the Oracal as well. Michaels has it on sale pretty frequently.

I find it easiest to apply before I fold the foamboard.

bearit

also helps with the vinyl to use a heat gun after applyed it will not peal off after the heat is done