Paint

BoredGuy

I just spray painted the miniCorsair. The plane looks great, the issue is that the paint can chip very easily if scratched with a pencil or knife, especially over areas that I have covered with packing tape. Is this a common issue, or have I done something wrong? Btw, the paint says spray “enamel” on the can instead of “paint”, if that makes a difference.

leaded50

Legendary member
common issue when the paint is "just laying" outise, and not get into paper. Did you scratch the surfaces before paint? (eg by steelwool..)

BoredGuy

Yes, with p180 sanding paper. Nothing too harsh though, didn't want damage. With the foam board and paper in the mini corsair, I can understand paint soaking in, but how does that happen with packing tape? Also, I got a bit overeager and the coat is *a bit* too thick. Can that affect anything?

leaded50

Legendary member
packing tape is "slick", and paint get scratched easy.. if not also sanded good. i want my packing tape be "matte" by sandind before paint on. Thick coats can affect yes (get more brittle), the packing tape is mainly on edges where easyer to get "movement" or get into something as by transport.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Rusteolum Indoor/Outdoor is compatible with plastic packing tape, it dries fast and adheres fairly well... and as previously mentioned light successive coats you dont want a wet layer, & I use packing tape after I paint, then I have a protective clear coat of tape,

there are other paints compatible with plastics, just test them on scrap first!