Painting on tape-covered foam?

Casey

Hi helpful people! I live in a country where we have no paper-backed foam, so my wife and I build using Experimental Airlines's method of sheathing the whole foam sheet in clear packing tape. Up until now, we've just used clear and colored packing tape for color, or the occasional accent with a highlighter.

We are curious about the feasibility of using spray paint on the planes. Will spray paint stick to the tape sufficiently? Has anyone done this and can report on its durability over time? Are there particular types of spray paint that are better than others at adhering to packing tape?

I'm hoping to get some insight from people with experience before buying paint that might not even stick. Thanks for your help as always!

SSgt Duramax

I have had luck roughing packing tape up with 220 grit and having spray paint stick. However, if you miss sanding a spot, the paint will not adhere and bead up. This is how I do all my planes that have externally visible packing tape I want to spray paint over and it works well, but it is usually just a strip.

There may also be a chemical way of treating it, but I am not familiar with how.

You may also have luck with coating the foam with kraft paper and wbpu.

Headbang

Master member
As said, if you use 220, 320 grit sand paper, or a scotch pad paint will stick, I have used rustolium painter touch spray balms with great success and had things last hundreds of flights in rain and snow. Cheap apple something Walmart paint worked too, stuck well to the roughed tape, just was not water proof.

SSgt Duramax

As said, if you use 220, 320 grit sand paper, or a scotch pad paint will stick, I have used rustolium painter touch spray balms with great success and had things last hundreds of flights in rain and snow. Cheap apple something Walmart paint worked too, stuck well to the roughed tape, just was not water proof.
That 2 dollar walmart acrylic holds up decent if you minwax over it.