Painting Pro Tips

Drake600

Haven't had a chance yet, but I'll try to give it a go on a test section (the severed tail of my Flyer should do) before the weekend. Starting a new job is really interfering with my hobby. Flying interstate to pick up a car isn't going to do my weekend any favors either (Adelaide to Canberra and back).

I've had a little go at air brushing some water based acrylic .... its ok, but as the water dries out it can warp the board, so need to do both sides at the same time.

tyoho

I've had a little go at air brushing some water based acrylic .... its ok, but as the water dries out it can warp the board, so need to do both sides at the same time.

Did you Minwax first? That might help.
Also remember multiple light coats are best.
I am always fighting the urge to put just a bit more on and avoid another coat.
I use generic clear class cleaner as a thinner, and I think it helps the paint flow better and dry faster.

Hi, no I didn't use Minwax, but I will try and get something similar, not sure if it's available in the UK? - but there will be an equivalent.

Do you have a name for the 'glass cleaner' ?

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
This stuff is an awesome thinner: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

It can be used as a clear coat as well. It thins the cheap water-based acrylic craft paint I use, and makes it flow through the airbrush really well. It's also self-leveling. And, if that wasn't enough, it smells good too! :)

I tried it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and in my opinion, it works much better than glass cleaner. Here in the US, I get it at Walmart for around $6.18 a bottle.

This is where I learned about it: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Drake600

Used some old interior semi-gloss acrylic for a test. The foam and paper seems ok, even around the control surface bevels. Coverage is good, even over hot glue and packing tape. The paint was old and thick, probably should have thinned it a bit but being so thick meant it went on really dry (and slowly!) so thinning it too much may soften the paper.
IMAG0417_1.jpg

tyoho

This stuff is an awesome thinner: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

It can be used as a clear coat as well. It thins the cheap water-based acrylic craft paint I use, and makes it flow through the airbrush really well. It's also self-leveling. And, if that wasn't enough, it smells good too! :)

I tried it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and in my opinion, it works much better than glass cleaner. Here in the US, I get it at Walmart for around $6.18 a bottle.

This is where I learned about it: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Thanks Jaxx I've hear of this before but never picked any up. Now that I've got my airbrush set-up working right I'm going to give it a try.

reburg99

Thanks for all the great tips guys! Has any tried air brushing or painting with water based acrylic over the oil based Minwax? it seems as thought the two different paints might not bond together properly.

Jaxx

Thanks for all the great tips guys! Has any tried air brushing or painting with water based acrylic over the oil based Minwax? it seems as thought the two different paints might not bond together properly.

Actually it's works really well. I use cheap Apple Barrel acrylic craft paint from Walmart. They are $0.50 each for the non-gloss colors. I thin the paint with Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish (an acrylic floor finish). I get it at Walmart for $6.18 a bottle. I mix a two ounce bottle of paint with approximately 2 ounces (give or take) of the Pledge, with incredible results. It makes the paint flow through the airbrush really well. It also makes the paint auto-level after being applied. This is great for me, since I'm still learning how to paint with an airbrush. The Pledge also makes an incredible shiny clear coat, when applied over the paint. Make sure it's the exact one in the picture.

IMG_2987_small.jpg

Last edited:

reburg99

Looks great! I've never painted foam board..... so, my process should look like this, if I've got it correct.

1. Apply oil based Minwax to seal the paper/faom.
2. Apply acrylic topcoat paint scheme (thinned with pledge).
3. Apply final top of Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish for shine if desired.

I would have never thought to spray the model with pledge floor cleaner/wax.
Has any measured the pre/post weights to see how much was added during the painting process. Seems like a lot of steps and if you're not careful you can really add a lot of weight to your plane.

Jaxx

I have not done a before/after weight measurement, but so far the weight has not been an issue....and I used a lot of paint on this build (still trying to get the hang of it). I found out about the pledge here: https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/future-floor-polish. Future Floor Polish is the old name for it. This site has some really great info. I have not applied a clear coat this build...not sure if I'm going to. The only problem I've had so far, is trying to prevent over-spray. I was being lazy when I did this one, and didn't tape it off/cover it well, so there is a considerable amount of over-spray.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pledge+future+airbrush

Last edited:

reburg99

Thanks Jaxx. I should have the planes finished up tomorrow and will try to get some pre/post weight measurements to satisfy my curiosity.

reburg99

here's the first set of numbers, I'll do more to check for some type of consistency.

Pre Minwax weight, fully assembled, minus power pod and receiver: 110 Grams
After Minwax weight: 115 grams - disclaimer, I needed to re-glue the turtle deck. I don't know if the additional glue added any weight. I forgot to weight the plane before repair.
Weight after applying 2 coats of Apple Barrel paint (thinned with water): 125 grams
Weight after applying 1 light coat of Pledge: 125 grams.

Looking at the numbers it appears to be about 5 grams per coat. I find it interesting that the pledge didn't seem to add any weight to the plane. I also didn't pledge the bottom of the fuselage, I'm going to put packing tape on the bottom to add some strength. I'm not using any landing gear, the grass where I fly is typically taller and wheels don't roll in it.

I may also try some different brands of paint to see if they weigh more then others.