Painting rules and suggestions

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
when i started, i was always very careful about my color arrangements and making sure i could keep orientation in the sky. now that i have almost 2yrs under the belt and have flown more, built more, crashed more, repaired more than i can count, i really don't care anymore. you reach a point, or at least hopefully you do, that you have confidence in your skills. you know which way the plane is going, because that's where you told it to go. you know that if i do this, then the plane will be here, then i do this and the plane will be here. you almost don't even need to see it. this is especially true with high speed planes. when going 100+ mph you don't have time to question, you just tell the plane what to do, and it does it because it has no choice! :LOL:

when you get there then you can stop worrying and start making you planes look like they should. my latest project, the bottom is the lite blue with just a few small decals. can't wait to fly it!

View attachment 119843

just my $.02,

me :cool:

I agree - and just when I think my flying skilz are at that point I seem to execute another flawless figure 9 and have to go back to red wing tips :rolleyes:

Guess I'm a slow learner :p

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
think this might disappear quickly? :unsure:

will maiden tomorrow. supposed to be a gray sky as well to make it even more fun! :ROFLMAO:

20181214_185446.jpg

it's not finished but at this point of the night i'm done. will finish the details and add the wing guns if it survives tomorrow.

laters,

Keno

Nice lookin, I always put some contrast marking tape on the bottom of the wings and the color is your choice. Few look that the wing bottom to judge you work. Nice work, have a great maiden flight.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
do they have a 12-step program for airplane building addictions? :unsure:

my newest endeavor...

20181218_152721.jpg

first time building a MiniacRC model. any guesses?

hoping for saturday maiden. 3D printing control horns and firewall as we speak.

spray paint was shot onto DTFB w/o issues. no minwax needed. used a krylon colormaster.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
do they have a 12-step program for airplane building addictions? :unsure:

my newest endeavor...

View attachment 120535

first time building a MiniacRC model. any guesses?

hoping for saturday maiden. 3D printing control horns and firewall as we speak.

spray paint was shot onto DTFB w/o issues. no minwax needed. used a krylon colormaster.

Haha! I’ve got plans got one of those transferred (mostly) to foamboard to build one as well!

Tjhochha

I’m still pretty new to flying. I have a really easy time flying the Black and white wing cub and keeping orientation. The Corsair is a different story. It’s crashed a lot after losing orientation. Luckily most were into tall weeds or a pancake where I got it straightened out and pulled up at the last second and getting it slowed down a bit.
AB33E32A-DBA8-484E-ABF4-8DE5E42CD2DB.jpeg 07798ADA-C3E1-4D63-A3CD-789E5BB700F2.jpeg
On my cub, I added red leds to the left wing tip and blue in the fuse for night flying. I need to order some green for the right wing.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
pretty happy so far... ;)

20181219_175221.jpg

20181219_175600.jpg

not finished but close. as always, big thumbs up to Rasterize as aways for the amazing decals. it really brought this plane to life! for anyone who doesn't feel up to the challenge of a full "skins" job, he said he will be posting these in the MiniacRC P-40 resource thread along with the full skins. if you haven't skinned a plan yet, maybe it's time to try? don't have to worry about all this spray paint stuff. o_O

also thumbs up to Sponz for the exhaust. i took his merlin exhaust stl. file and scaled it down to work for this model.

you can download them from thingiverse... https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3299079

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, it's done. only thing i haven't finished/decided on is the rear canopy decals. on the fence whether or not i like them. i know it's not scale replica w/o but frankly have never cared about stuff like that. i like it to look the part, but also to be original. i have no interest in having another plane just like everyone else's. :rolleyes:

20181220_162317.jpg

20181220_162337.jpg

20181220_162353.jpg

it is powered by an Emax 2205-2300kv, 6x4.5 prop, 20A esc, 6-channel rx, 2- 9g aileron and 2- 5g tail servos, and a 3S-850 LiHV battery. balanced perfectly right where it should. plan is to maiden on saturday.

laters,

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I’ve got mine to the gluing stage, waiting on the glue-gun to heat up as I type. Yours looks really good! I can’t do skins unfortunately as I don’t have access to a color printer:confused:, I’ll do my best to do a nice paint job, but it will never match yours in beauty.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
mine is all paint with a few printed decals. if you download and print one of Rasterize's skins from above you can always scavenge the decals you want and place at will. it will cost a $9 bucks at most @ Office Max, or just download individual decals you like from internet, put on jump drive, go to UPS store and print in color for just a few $. just a thought.

good luck with your build.

laters,

Paracodespoder

Elite member
All the green is paint? Whenever I paint it leaves a lot of streaks where it dried unevenly, what type of paint do you use?
EDIT: just realized it’s spray paint, should have payed more attention to your first post about it.

Last edited:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Here’s mine, (the yellow is cardstock used when I ran out of poster board). This is my first mini that used only one stick of glue, usually I use at least two. It’s also my first one built with the hot glue+Titebond2 method.
image.jpg

Had a little trouble with the scoop, but some sandpaper straightened that out. Okay back to the purpose of the thread, painting. This one will be getting a tan and green camp paint job, I hope it turns out good 🤞.

Gazoo

I'm really liking the P-40 Warhawk. It has some nice lines.

Does anyone bother with Minwax anymore? I see lots of rattle cans used but no mention of Minwax. I have been using Krylon recently and haven't Minwaxed anything.

@Paracodespoder I like it.
@mrjdstewart Love the decals and the paint!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Thanks! Never used minwax, might help for some things, but I haven’t seen the need for it. If you fly in damp areas you might want to consider minwax.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, i was wrong. the rear canopy pieces are a must. maiden is set for tomorrow bright and early.

20181221_180706.jpg

just need to find some clear plastic bottles to cut up and tape to belly to keep it from dying on belly landing. our field is dirt and can take a toll on foam belly landers.

happy flying tomorrow!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Hers where my paint job stands as of right now, I’m not to happy with the canopy color, I’ll see what I can do with it later.
image.jpg