Painting Waterproof Foam

HelloImNotADuck

Hi again,
This is now my third forum thread in the past month.(I hope you don't mind!) As the title suggests, I'm looking for info on the type of spray paint to use on the waterproof flitetest foam board. I watched all three FT videos on foam board painting and I'm still unclear about this. The problem is, there's no point telling me a good brandto use, because chances are, we don't have it here on the opposite side of the pond! It's possibly worth noting I'm looking for a matte finish. So can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of the type of paint to use? Ex. Acrylic, latex, enamel etc.
Thanks

kdobson83

I'm pretty sure hobby King has a new line of spray paints. I bet you can find something there. I use Rust-Oleum 2x ultra covering spray paint personally. Covers in one coat. Rust-Oleum is a name brand so you may have it there. Just look for stay paint that are flat for a matte finish.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I used Rustoleum Painters Touch 2X to paint my DR1. Just be sure to sand the surfaces very well before painting and you should be fine with most rattle can paints.

kdobson83

Yes, that paint should do fine. I would do light coats to start, or practice on some scraps. As far as how much ud need to do that camo, I have no idea. Camo being 2 colors, 2 rattle cans would be enough. Good luck tho.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If you seal the exposed foam edges and then seal the paper with a poly varnish, (very light coat), then you can use any paint you require as long as the varnish is dry first.

Just one thing do not use any metal based paints like Aluminium as they can severely interfere with the Rx reception, Ask me how I know!).

Remember light coats and a few of them means no paint runs!

have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The FB should be coated in a poly varnish like Minwax, (in the US), and once sealed just paint away to your hearts content.

Without sealing the FB paper the water based paints are your only option though if painted too heavily, (wet), the paper could swell and eventually delaminate. Oli based paints, (without sealing), will soak through the paper and attack the foam underneath dissolving the foam away and causing blistering of the paper which is not in contact with the foam any longer.

Hope this helps,

Have fun!

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
The FB should be coated in a poly varnish like Minwax, (in the US), and once sealed just paint away to your hearts content.

Without sealing the FB paper the water based paints are your only option though if painted too heavily, (wet), the paper could swell and eventually delaminate. Oli based paints, (without sealing), will soak through the paper and attack the foam underneath dissolving the foam away and causing blistering of the paper which is not in contact with the foam any longer.

Hope this helps,

Have fun!

While this is good advice for the regular foam board, this doesn't apply to the waterproof foam board. You can skip the waterproofing steps given by Hai-Lee in this case sense the foam you're using (with the brown paper) is already water-resistant. Just make sure you sand the surfaces you're going to paint very well.

kelis

In the event that you've at any point pondered utilizing splash paint for different activities, you might have pondered, "is spray paint waterproof?" Choosing appropriate paint for a durable completion on a venture is a significant choice. With shower paint, you mostly need to think about dampness insurance.

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
My advice is what ever paint you end up using test it on a scrap piece of board first and let is dry for a few hours to make sure it does not have any undesirable effect.
The propellant in spray cans that can cause problems even if the paint itself is 'foam safe'.

Burnhard

A few things I have learned so far:

-Seal any open foam with white glue or foam armor (otherwise some of the spray paint may eat into the foam
-The FT foamboard needs a good scuffing for any paint to adhere to it;
-When you scuff the FT Foamboard, it will soak in the paint which can create issues in the sense of wrinkled paper so try on a piece of scrap first and then do the first coats very light (more distance, just short bursts, try not to soake it
-For masking I use the Tamiya tape. To me it seems the best combination of adhesion and removability. Again, careful will the FT foam as it can peel of the paint.