Solved Painting

OlliePackman

After spending roughly 25 hours on building my first ft plane, the Edge 540 I have now spent probably 15 infuriating hours on the painting. I began with roughing up the paper on the foam with sandpaper, as said in the painting video by ft. I then moved to painting. The spray paint goes on fine and looks good and then when I mask over it, the paint flakes off when I remove the masking. I have tried several times with different kinds of masking tape including low tack and different kinds of paint to stop this from happening but nothing is changing, it keeps peeling off. I am aware that I'm throwing money at it now and I am constantly adding weight with every coat and I am getting a little tired and frustrated with it now. Could anybody help me with what I am doing wrong and how I can prevent this from happening.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I'm very new at this and other probably have more advice to offer but I found a very lite scuff of fine sand paper or steel wool worked best for prep. I used 3m painters tape and stuck it to my shirt a few times prior to laying it down to reduce tack. Good luck!

OlliePackman

I'm very new at this and other probably have more advice to offer but I found a very lite scuff of fine sand paper or steel wool worked best for prep. I used 3m painters tape and stuck it to my shirt a few times prior to laying it down to reduce tack. Good luck!
The sandpaper didn't really help but I'll trying rubbing it against my shirt.

Michael9865

Elite member
How long are you waiting between painting and putting the tape on the painted area. I usually wait at least three days before going onto the next color.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If it's not too much of an area, you can spray a small puddle of paint on a paper, then use a small brush to make any touchups.