Paper Airplanes to RC the Challenge

Vimana89

Legendary member
Not sure about paper dart style with all the folds, but it's very possible I'm gonna try another slender delta on 2205 here soon...with a similar wing span to my current 15"/30", maybe as much as 16 or 17"....but the chord extended out to like 40-42"o_O.I've built similar sized ones, but with a heavy and complex KFM-ish joined wing. This time if I try this, no folded KFM wing, I'll be joining two pieces but leaving it one sheet thick. I will have a more minimalistic and streamlined nose and pusher nacelle on this one. I will also be employing simple elevons rather than RET(like my older slender deltas) and a twin or tri-tail VS system like my recent successful 30" models. My other super extend slender deltas were real clunkers, but I want this one to be a hot rod with as much thrust to weight as possible.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I like the challenge of it. It's literally "how long and skinny can I make this while still having good weight, power, and handling?":unsure::unsure: I probably won't top the span out at anything over 18", and 45" is the max I'm going to reasonably want for the chord length.

I like what you guys are doing with the paper dart style ones, I think overall its a cool project and has a lot of people enjoying deltas of various aspect ratios, but I've only got so many motors and so much time, so I'll prefer to stick to just the shape and do it how I've been, with a flat wing and my vertical stabilizer(s) on top, like a "real plane". This is a bit off topic in some ways but it relates in aerodynamics and handling to what you guys are doing.

I'll be watching this with interest, and if anyone has questions about deltas or slender deltas in particular, especially the motorizing part, let me know and I'll share what I can from my own experience.

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
I won’t be able to start on mine until next week (I’m currently away on business) but I’ll be watching the pusher configurations especially.
My first impression would be that that’s going to make getting the cg a challenge.
Hope to see you make it work!

Vimana89

Legendary member
I won’t be able to start on mine until next week (I’m currently away on business) but I’ll be watching the pusher configurations especially.
My first impression would be that that’s going to make getting the cg a challenge.
A straight pusher? You bet it will make CG difficult. A prop slot or better yet high mount is a good option for a delta, especially the more slender ones(be careful with slots on extra slender for durability and wing area reasons)...not that a rear pusher can't work if you make it, I've just never seen any reason to use one on a delta, let alone a slender one. A tail mounted nacelle that blows over your surfaces, on the other hand, I can see the practicality of...a fully rear pusher is just not something I'd choose for a delta plane. That's my two cents, your mileage may vary(y)

mayan

Legendary member
Never a challenge if you have room to strap on a big enough battery :). If you do a v shaped body and have a long enough fuselage you’ll be fine :).

Spacefarer

Waiting to see what you have in mind and how you achieve it :).
I developed a system for building extremely large paper planes in 9th grade, and it can support electronics. You might not believe me when I say this, but I built a 20 foot long paper plane once. Still can't crash without making it unusable though, because the entire thing relies on the paper being in the shape of a tube with no creases.

Vimana89

Legendary member
working on a 15" by 40" slender delta with tri tail VS. I'll be running on a radial F pack with a lightweight 1100 mAh that already worked fine on the smaller model with the 1806.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Ok, I think I have my rocket mount designed, read through some of Estes files and basically under power the mount extends way forward of the cg and once out of fuel elastic bands pull the mount back to get the plane back to balance so she will fly properly or glide.

Rocket Mount 1.jpg
Rocket Mount 2.jpg
Rocket Mount 3.jpg
Rocket Mount 4.jpg
Rocket Mount 5.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor