Paper Airplanes to RC the Challenge

mayan

Legendary member

A few days ago FliteTest released this video, where they took a paper airplane and transformed it into a FB RC plane but still kept the look of a paper airplane. Inspired by what J Bix said on the video and I quote: "I call it now challenge to our community out there, make big paper airplanes that don't have any controlls when you are done with this and toss them with your kids". Soooo with that being said and the much respect that I have for J Bix, that is exactly what I call the communtiy to do. Let's all do this, let's all take out our favorite classic paper airplane designs and turn them first into chuck gliders that can be tossed around with friends and family and then let's turn them into RC.

I got so inspired by the video that yesterday during my entire shift at work I ruined FB after FB to get to something that is far from prefect but a good start. On a glider test I did alone I figured that it was a bit tail heavy as it would at some point pitch up, so there is more work to be done on it. Nevermind the issues that I have to work out to get this to glide and fly properly, when I got home I put it on the dining table and went to eat dinner with my wife. At some point my son got up and I told him to go look at the table at first he didn't understand what he was looking at and then it hit him. He realized what he was looking at and the simle on his face was worth more than anything in the world. He didn't think twice and called me to play with him, we tossed the plane around for a bit and then I sent him back to bed.

278082_07c9feae4becc5e07e5b71c24fa7ada3.jpeg

Any how lets all make paper airplanes out of FB and go fly them. Looking forward to see what this great community comes up with :).
I know @The Hangar wanted in and @FoamyDM and @kilroy07 mentioned something about it too. Any one else?

EDIT: https://www.foldnfly.com/#/1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I remember it too! Awesome idea.... one made from coraplast (sp?) would survive better, wonder if it would be too heavy?

And, I’m in!
Here’s my favorite design, although I was taught to fold the leading edges in-line with the bottom of the fuselage.
https://www.origamiway.com/plane-nakamura-lock.shtml

Probably gonna “Cheat” and lay everything out in CAD then move to foam board. 😉
Yeah - it was pretty loud! I’m going to do foam board to keep it as light as possible.

bracesport

Legendary member
Oh yes, the Nakamura was my favourite when I was a lad! ;)

I remember it too! Awesome idea.... one made from coraplast (sp?) would survive better, wonder if it would be too heavy?

And, I’m in!
Here’s my favorite design, although I was taught to fold the leading edges in-line with the bottom of the fuselage.
https://www.origamiway.com/plane-nakamura-lock.shtml

Probably gonna “Cheat” and lay everything out in CAD then move to foam board. 😉

Vimana89

Legendary member
It goes without saying you guys will have blast chucking those. Motorizing? A bit more work, but get it right and it will be a ton of fun. A motorized slender delta has some outstanding roll capability for sure and even high alpha if you nail the thrust to weight(y)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I sat down and watched this with my kids at dinner, and ask them if they're interested. Planes?:rolleyes::cry::sleep: Typically they say no, however this time they said yeah let's give it a try so I told them that once every one was done with homework, probably tomorrow, that we would give this a start.:love:
My oldest indicated he wanted a dart

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I sat down and watched this with my kids at dinner, and ask them if they're interested. Planes?:rolleyes::cry::sleep: Typically they say no, however this time they said yeah let's give it a try so I told them that once every one was done with homework, probably tomorrow, that we would give this a start.:love:
My oldest indicated he wanted a dart
Cool!