Help! Paper laminate on foam plain board

Nisar

Hey there, I have foam boars which are not paper laminated.. basically just a board which can easily snap! Currently I am taping the plane once the model is ready.. but I want to laminate brown/craft paper like Flighttest boards on 20"x30" sheets for increased strength.

Thinking of diluting pva glue and sprayng for easy and even spread then paste the paper. Will it work??

It will be an ongoing process for me as Im thinking to use laminated sheets for my future projects 😓
Thanks a bunch!

Piotrsko

Master member
And the failure mode of taped DTFB is the foam core collapses and you get a dreaded case of wrinkles. Not sure glue would change that.

Nisar

Experimental airlines also had some great stuff using tape.
Tge problem with pre taping is all the cuttings has to be stright and aligned with tape direction.. this way I end up using more foam boards than required. But this works best with wings though 👍

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I can tell you personaly that gluing paper onto foam works great.... I don't have access to fb so I make my own.... I use flour glue 1 cup flour to 4 cups water.... Cooked for 3 min, I then spread it onto the foam and stick brown craft paper onto it.... Really strong, maybe even stronger than dtfb....

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Here is proof
375204_e32b3f6834f4261f493696a068793dd6.jpg
fb drying...

Attachments

• IMG_20210810_184656.jpg
    IMG_20210810_184656.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 0

Nisar

I can tell you personaly that gluing paper onto foam works great.... I don't have access to fb so I make my own.... I use flour glue 1 cup flour to 4 cups water.... Cooked for 3 min, I then spread it onto the foam and stick brown craft paper onto it.... Really strong, maybe even stronger than dtfb....

This looks great. I should try this. I made some chucks last week and now in the process of taping them.

See in the pic how tedious it is :(
16286221576556308905323090641280.jpg

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Im a novice and have never flown any rc plane. Just following flitest build videos and hopefully will make something soon and post pictures 👍
Cool.... Quick tips... Larger flies easier.... And as a trainer I must suggest the ft old speedster... If u wanna use b power pack... Leave it as it is....
If u wanna use c power pack then scale it up to 130%.... Mine is a 130% and it flies super slowly and gently... Plus it can take a big beating....

Nisar

You are welcome, can't wait to see what you build

The chucks in progress along with a trainer and ft mini Vector.. just tapped this tint one today still WIP. I think working on bigger models is much much easier than these tiny ones! Will post updates as I progress.
IMG-20210812-WA0000.jpg