Paper Tiger Build

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I found a strange open box kit at my club's auction a couple years back, with some unusual design elements. The box had been opened and the kit partially started (tail surfaces & balsa slab fuselage sides), and then it seemed the box had been refilled with some random balsa. It was also missing all of the ribs too, but someone had traced out the rib shape on a scrap of cardboard and tossed it into the pile. And instead of full size plans, there were semi-scale plans and full size cardboard templates called out as "skins"!
IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

Yes, best as I can tell, the idea with this kit was to use the cardboard templates as the skins, and simply glue on the balsa framing elements and spray some sort of finish over the whole thing.

IMG_0804.JPG

Not too excited about the condition of the cardboard skins - they are pretty brittle and have some folds, so I'm going to continue to skin this one with balsa instead.

Since this was supposed to be a wet fuel model and I want to convert it to an electric, I decided to extend the nose about an inch beyond the normal plans and build a removable motor and battery tray. This will both put weight forward of the CG (less balancing weight required) and remove the need for battery hatches (less hassle at the field). Since the sides of the fuselage were already started, I didn't take many pictures of the process of adding in the motor tray rails and latch.

IMG_0809.JPG

PXL_20210608_173006704_copy_1024x768.jpg

PXL_20210608_173022322_copy_1024x768.jpg

IMG_0808.JPG

Here's the motor and battery tray with a foam block being shaped and spackled to make the cowling form.

PXL_20210608_172959753_copy_1024x768.jpg

As mentioned earlier, I'm not crazy about the condition of the cardboard skins (and the top wing skins are missing) so I'm planking these with 3/32 balsa too.
IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

Going with dual aileron servos instead of the classic single servo and cams approach. I like making servo hatches too - nice and clean on the outside, easy to replace if something goes wrong.
IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

Next up is setting the wing dihedral, making plywood spar joiners, and then epoxy time to fuse the wing halves together - at 60" total wingspan I'd rather have the simplicity and strength of a one piece wing.

Tench745

Master member
What an interesting plane. I've never heard of a cardboard skinned balsa kit before. Also, good to see you again rockyboy!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks @Tench745 - it's been a while but I'm trying to get back into some building again.

@Piotrsko do you have any leads on more information about them or their planes? I've been able to find some records of the company incorporation & suspension from 1965-1969 but that's about it - no plane information.

Back on this build I've done some sanding and prep on the cowling mold to get ready for fiber glassing, and installed blocking for the aileron hinges. Waiting on some parts for my "new" Dremel 4" table saw so I can make a sled big enough to run the wing roots through to straighten up the ends and get the dihedral set in one cut. :D

IMG_0818.JPG

Piotrsko

Master member
Sorry, no more info other than I remember stocking both of the planes when I had my hobby shop back in '75 and the kit company owner was in Long Beach, CA (actually Signal Hill [local distinction]). That's pushing it for me on a one shot from 45 years ago.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That's very cool! Thank you for sharing!

All I've been able to find about the company is this bit of info saying the company was incorporated July 1, 1965 and on Dec 1, 1969 it had a filing of "Franchise Tax Board Suspension" which I suspect means they reverted to private ownership then.

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_ca/C0493401

There is are a couple of their kits for sale - a gas powered Eaglet Sport : https://www.ebay.com/itm/175179344849 and B-70 Valkyrie https://www.ebay.com/itm/115117854800 but they are very tricky to find.

Piotrsko

Master member
Iirc, franchise tax board suspension means they stopped filing their tax forms. Probably no sales since the seventies were a lot of financial turmoil.

Hmmm. Had the B70 kit right out of highschool. Flew so well it went out of sight first flight. Hint: Don't fill the fuel tank full......would be an excellent foamboard plane.