• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Papercraft - Trying a new source of inspiration

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Finally got the pilot size right I printed it 27% of the original pilot file came out to be just about the right fit might be a tad large but so if I were to do it again maybe 25%. Anyway here it's what it looks like.
IMG_20201207_115855426.jpg
IMG_20201207_115858630_BURST001.jpg

Another very effective way of making designs is based on papermodels, they are quite similar.
I am making a Piper L-4 Grasshoper model based on some templates.
These templates can be very useful since there is very little to modify, I am working to make a PDF with the templates adapted to foamboard, I will publish the advance soon

Attachments

I found these plans for a Ki-44. I am thinking a motor mount will be the hardest bit of this, because I can build a plane but I am thinking of approaching this the way they did for the mini zero. On the Zero they ended up having the motor mount on the fuse and the battery tray take the place of where the power pod would be. I think I will have my own thread just to document it so I may be able to help others with similar builds.
ôWèJÉ}.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
I found these plans for a Ki-44. I am thinking a motor mount will be the hardest bit of this, because I can build a plane but I am thinking of approaching this the way they did for the mini zero. On the Zero they ended up having the motor mount on the fuse and the battery tray take the place of where the power pod would be. I think I will have my own thread just to document it so I may be able to help others with similar builds.
- not problem, just calculate what motor you plan use, and mount a "former" there for backside of plywood eg.where it fit, such as motor dont stick too much out. At the Zero somewhere between 3-4 "half ring" ? ( the parts in right low corner) Make that parts first, and glue together, then mesure motor, and place the former/plywood motor mount eg, from rear.

- not problem, just calculate what motor you plan use, and mount a "former" there for backside of plywood eg. At the Zero somewhere between 3-4 "half ring", or after "ring" 4 ( the parts in right low corner)
Sweet! I started making a paper model of it and I noticed that the plan is pretty much perfect for a master series plane. I will use this advice to build it.

leaded50

Legendary member
Sweet! I started making a paper model of it and I noticed that the plan is pretty much perfect for a master series plane. I will use this advice to build it.
forget all that wheel stuff, (no. 13-14-15) and prop ( no. 4, 2) (paper isnt good enough anyway,..) adjust formers in size with 5mm removed all the way around (or, here you need check since seems its flat bottom) adjust accordingly, Then you close to have plans on the rest, without "battery" box, spar rear

I wanted to make the plane out of paper to see how it goes together and it is essentially a master series plane. It would actually be easier, for some parts, to make it out of foam and hot glue. I am really enjoying making it and to make it out of foam will be fun for me. Except for the tail that is 😅
1B87FCDB-DB3C-4AFB-9123-A067406209F1.jpeg

leaded50

Legendary member
I wanted to make the plane out of paper to see how it goes together and it is essentially a master series plane. It would actually be easier, for some parts, to make it out of foam and hot glue. I am really enjoying making it and to make it out of foam will be fun for me. Except for the tail that is 😅
make a internal "brace" following the inner cone shape of the rear, WITH the tailfin together at brace, then you loose some work, and you get it stabilized at same time.

as this, im drawed for a project working with.
example.jpg