Papercraft - Trying a new source of inspiration

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Finally got the pilot size right I printed it 27% of the original pilot file came out to be just about the right fit might be a tad large but so if I were to do it again maybe 25%. Anyway here it's what it looks like.
IMG_20201207_115855426.jpg
IMG_20201207_115858630_BURST001.jpg

otto54

Another very effective way of making designs is based on papermodels, they are quite similar.
I am making a Piper L-4 Grasshoper model based on some templates.
These templates can be very useful since there is very little to modify, I am working to make a PDF with the templates adapted to foamboard, I will publish the advance soon

Attachments

• Page-01.jpg
    Page-01.jpg
    815.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Page-02.jpg
    Page-02.jpg
    784.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Page-03.jpg
    Page-03.jpg
    976.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Page-04.jpg
    Page-04.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 0
  • Page-05.jpg
    Page-05.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 0
  • Page-06.jpg
    Page-06.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0 bytes · Views: 0
  • Page-12.jpg
    Page-12.jpg
    683.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Page-13.jpg
    Page-13.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Page-14.jpg
    Page-14.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Page-15.jpg
    Page-15.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 0

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
I think I will be starting a ki-44 soon to add to my Imperial Japanese Air Force and navy. I will be using paper craft for it so I don’t need to do as difficult things but we will see how that works out.

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
I found these plans for a Ki-44. I am thinking a motor mount will be the hardest bit of this, because I can build a plane but I am thinking of approaching this the way they did for the mini zero. On the Zero they ended up having the motor mount on the fuse and the battery tray take the place of where the power pod would be. I think I will have my own thread just to document it so I may be able to help others with similar builds.
ôWèJÉ}.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
I found these plans for a Ki-44. I am thinking a motor mount will be the hardest bit of this, because I can build a plane but I am thinking of approaching this the way they did for the mini zero. On the Zero they ended up having the motor mount on the fuse and the battery tray take the place of where the power pod would be. I think I will have my own thread just to document it so I may be able to help others with similar builds.

- not problem, just calculate what motor you plan use, and mount a "former" there for backside of plywood eg.where it fit, such as motor dont stick too much out. At the Zero somewhere between 3-4 "half ring" ? ( the parts in right low corner) Make that parts first, and glue together, then mesure motor, and place the former/plywood motor mount eg, from rear.

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
- not problem, just calculate what motor you plan use, and mount a "former" there for backside of plywood eg. At the Zero somewhere between 3-4 "half ring", or after "ring" 4 ( the parts in right low corner)
Sweet! I started making a paper model of it and I noticed that the plan is pretty much perfect for a master series plane. I will use this advice to build it.

leaded50

Legendary member
Sweet! I started making a paper model of it and I noticed that the plan is pretty much perfect for a master series plane. I will use this advice to build it.
forget all that wheel stuff, (no. 13-14-15) and prop ( no. 4, 2) (paper isnt good enough anyway,..) adjust formers in size with 5mm removed all the way around (or, here you need check since seems its flat bottom) adjust accordingly, Then you close to have plans on the rest, without "battery" box, spar rear

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
I wanted to make the plane out of paper to see how it goes together and it is essentially a master series plane. It would actually be easier, for some parts, to make it out of foam and hot glue. I am really enjoying making it and to make it out of foam will be fun for me. Except for the tail that is 😅
1B87FCDB-DB3C-4AFB-9123-A067406209F1.jpeg

leaded50

Legendary member
I wanted to make the plane out of paper to see how it goes together and it is essentially a master series plane. It would actually be easier, for some parts, to make it out of foam and hot glue. I am really enjoying making it and to make it out of foam will be fun for me. Except for the tail that is 😅

make a internal "brace" following the inner cone shape of the rear, WITH the tailfin together at brace, then you loose some work, and you get it stabilized at same time.

as this, im drawed for a project working with.
example.jpg

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This has been in the pipeline for QUITE a while I have re-sized and reworked the plans a bit to use 70mm edfs.
See attached.
1637270622480.png
There are 7 other pages. It will be a while before I tackle it. but I'm excited to get to it.

Attachments

• Cessna T-37_TweetyBird.pdf
    673.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I know this is a little older thread but here is my BF-109 from papercraft plans downloaded free from Fiddler's Green.
Expanded in Inkscape. Printed on vinyl sticker paper and transferred to DTFB.
1 meter wingspan, 3530 motor, 2200 3S, 10x6 3 blade prop.
3D printed the following: power pod/motor mount, spinner, intake, exhaust, main gear supports, dihedral former, spar former, entire tail wheel assembly, horizontal stab supports.
Cut a 30" carbon arrow in half to form the spars.
Complete with flaps. Put in a little down/right thrust.
Need to ensure the main gear is far enough forward to prevent it from nosing over when taxying.
Total flying weight is 36 oz (2 lbs 4 oz).
Canopy hatch is held on with rare earth magnets.
This build was just a proof of concept, so I kind of rushed through it.
I know I can clean it up a little better.
Now I know this idea works, I can arrange the pieces into one full size plan and send it off to the vinyl print service.
20220307_210221_resized.jpg
20220307_210235_resized.jpg

Scotto

Elite member
I know this is a little older thread but here is my BF-109 from papercraft plans downloaded free from Fiddler's Green.
3D printed the following: power pod/motor mount, spinner, intake, exhaust, main gear supports, dihedral former, spar former, entire tail wheel assembly, horizontal stab supports.
Need to ensure the main gear is far enough forward to prevent it from nosing over when taxying.
Now I know this idea works, I can arrange the pieces into one full size plan and send it off to the vinyl print service.
View attachment 221081 View attachment 221082
Wow. That looks like store bought RTF. Would you mind sharing some more details? Is the "vinyl sticker paper" a home printer thing or did you have to get it done at a store? What scale did you take it to? Edit Oh 1 meter. I see.

Last edited:

Baron VonHelton

Elite member

What an awesome way to utilize Fiddler's Green skins!!

(y)

synjin

Elite member
Video of the maiden is a must, whether it flies or dies. In the end, gravity always wins.

Wow. That looks like store bought RTF. Would you mind sharing some more details? Is the "vinyl sticker paper" a home printer thing or did you have to get it done at a store? What scale did you take it to? Edit Oh 1 meter. I see.
Yes the vinyl sticker is a home printing thing. A 55 pack of 8.5x11 is $21 on Amazon.
First practice with plain/scratch paper until you get the print settings correct.
I imported the plans into Inkscape.
In Inkscape, you have to designate the page size for a PDF export.
I created an 1000mm page height and then sized the plans until the wingspan matched the height of the paper.
I then duplicated the plans about 8-10 times in the Inkscape work area.
This allowed me to cut out each piece individually.
I then created a standard size (8.5x11) PDF page and drug all the smaller pieces onto it.
The smaller stuff that I could fit fit onto 1 page was easy.
Slightly large stuff (2 pages) I cut myself that way I could control where the seam was.
For the the fuselage (10 sheets) and wing (12 sheets), I created a PDF that was just large enough to fit them on and then exported them.
There are several YouTube videos on how to do this with plane plans.
Once printed and placed onto the DTFB, I gave them 2 light coats of clear spray enamel.
The vinyl stickers are supposed to be waterproof but I wanted a little extra insurance.
Another option would be to size it to match a commercially available plane that way you may be able to their use parts for that.
The fuselage is pretty strong as is from the folding technique so I didn't add any internal formers and I am still a fairly new/gentle flyer.
If you want to go crazy with it, you can add a few formers in there. The wing is stout with the spars I created.
20220308_064801_resized.jpg

Still trying to get the maiden in as it has been quite windy here at Vandenberg SFB lately