parachute

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Parachutes?

Just cut a piece of lightweight plastic bag, (75x75cm) (square or round, doesn't matter) tie a thread to each corner of the plastic, and then tie them together at the same length. Then tie a weight to the strings, fold it up and launch it!

I'll explain better if you want!

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yeah go with colorex idea! It is the cheapest one out there because you definitely will have a plasticbag and stone being a weight.

Actually it also depends on what you mean with parachute. Do you wanna be able to steer it? I´ll just say that everything has been done before :D

asoulsdream

nope colorex pretty much explained it perfect.... I just bought some G.I. Joe looking guys to drop out and wasnt sure how to make some cheap ones, Any tips as to how to fold them before they drop or does it really matter???

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Here's a fun video for a very basic parachute.

I made a slightly more complicated one for a camera.

I used a mesh material to prevent any tangling of the strings.

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
I like these guys, they don't tangle and have an awesome hang time.
31EQJ0XDTPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Aeromax-2000-Tangle-Free-Parachute/dp/B00004TXNR

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, that's pretty much what I modeled mine after. Or at least maybe the guy who I copied modeled his after that.

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
We dropped my sons like that from the Funcub in strong winds about a half mile away and had to trek about a quarter mile to the other side of us to retrieve him. They are fun.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Did I mention that the lenght of the strings is important? If they are too short, the parachute won't open as much as needed. Use at least strings as long as the dimension of the plastic bag.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Awesome- Just got a couple o' these from a toy store just before Christmas.
Can't wait to drop 'em from the Supercub

I made my own with supplies from Walmart's craft section. I bought a yard or two of nylon cloth, and the same amount of mesh. I cut a large circle from each, then sewed them together at the edges. I attached a down line to the center of the mesh material, and viola, I had a tangle proof parachute.

I was able to upsize it to carry the weight of the camera I dropped.