park zone archer

sky-ryder

i bought a parkzone archer hoping to learn to fly with ailerons. i crashed it twice and fixed it. i flew it a again and manged to get it into the air higher than 10 ft and fly longer than 5 seconds. 10% expo on the ailerons helped. i had trouble keeping it level it would bank left and was very squirrely so it made it hard to trim it ended up getting to far away form me to tell it orientation and i crashed in a tree broke the right wind i`m not sure if i fix it. will if fly any better? maybe i should look at a different plane. i have a micro f 86 saber that has ailerons that i have had no trouble flying granted they are not powerful enough to roll it. i don`t know what to do.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Dual rates to get down the "squirrel".
10 ft is much to low to be safe.
2-3 "errors high" is 100 ft.
Someone to buddy you and trim your plane is the best.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I agree with pgerts on the dual rates. Probably set it to 50%. If 50% rates isn't enough control, then land the plane and increase it. But 50% is a great starting point.

Ten feet is rather low. You at least want to be flying above the trees. I don't know about 100 feet. You can have a plane float away at that altitude.

The Bixler is really popular for a reason. You could always take a break from the Archer while getting comfortable with The Bixler. But I'm not sure on your current skill level or budget.

It's always worth trying to fix a plane, but you might be better off learning ailerons on something that is more of a beginner plane. That way you can save the Archer until you build up to being able to handle it.

But that's just my opinion.

DDSFlyer

my friend got that plane for his second plane (after the super cub). he could never get that thing to be less squirrelly and demolished it after the 5th flight...I've scavenged everything off of the plane but have yet to find a setup for it (I don't have 2 cell power plants usually).
It is a relatively small plane with a lot of maneuverability, so if you can get it up high and lower the rates I'm sure you can get used to it. It is a great looking plane though.

sky-ryder

thank you with all your help i think the second time i crashed it damaged a servo giving it slack. i did get it reasonably high on my third attempt maybe 70 ft but was having difficult time controlling it. so i crashed i think ill keep flying my f-86.