ParkZone ICON A5

earthsciteach

So, I've entered all the info using the card info provided. But I'm kind of nervous about finalizing. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't want to be stuck with $201 for membership. Nor do I feel comfy using some made up card number. Seems way more complicated than necessary. Has anyone else gone through this?

team222badbrad

So, I've entered all the info using the card info provided. But I'm kind of nervous about finalizing. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't want to be stuck with $201 for membership. Nor do I feel comfy using some made up card number. Seems way more complicated than necessary. Has anyone else gone through this?

Your fine. It's a fake number...

I agree the process is a bit strange, but it's just used to make it look like you have spent $200 or more with them to get the FREE membership.
I've bought lots of stuff from them.

FYI I have no affiliation to Wholesaletrains, just a customer! :)

Screen shot 2011-12-24 at 3.37.21 PM.png

Last edited:

John Campbell

What a nice aircraft and a really really nice episode ! Good Job!
I like this plane, it seems like a high quality product. The "engine sound" is great :)
A bit too expensive for my wallet though

You get what you pay for... Parkzone makes a premium plane and supports it well with parts.

killab

I really like this plane too. Would be a great plane to leave at our lakehouse so i have something to fly when i vacation there. Really intrested in the fpv platform they made... More details please. Thinking of getting the fatshark kit from HK.

John Campbell

Just got my ICON today and put it together. Everything went easy, and not much different than expect. Everything worked with out any problem. I am not sure about the stand, a little cheesy, but then again, that is not what is flying either

Resize of DSC_0001.JPG
Out of the Box

Resize of DSC_0002.JPG
Built and ready to fly 15 later!​

Fishbonez

I have been eyeing this gem at my LHS but the money is not there yet. Will have to wait with much patience in hopes no one picks up the only 2 there :cool: Let us know how it goes because she looks like a lot of fun. What size battery does she take>

John Campbell

I have been eyeing this gem at my LHS but the money is not there yet. Will have to wait with much patience in hopes no one picks up the only 2 there :cool: Let us know how it goes because she looks like a lot of fun. What size battery does she take>

I am going to use a 2200 3S 20C or 30C battery

Fishbonez

Shaweet. I really like the idea how this plane can take off from anywhere grass, water pavement but wonder how well in would do on dirt road

John Campbell

Depends on your dirt road. I remember some in West VA that the dirt roads were so rough with Gravel and Pot holes you couldn't taxi the full scale version, and this one the fuselage would disappear in some of them, or have float across. If it is smooth with gear should do ok when it is dry.

Mikecz

Ok after flying 4 battery packs through the plane I have some pros and cons. The plane with wheels on needs pavement to take off and land, a perfect grass field will make this plane flip over when taxiing. Lake flying is great! a bit hard to steer on taxi if windy, tends to windmill and ignore rudder control. I flew the 2200 mah battery got about 8 mins before seeing voltage drop below safe levels. I did put my 3200 mah 20 c batteries from my apprentice in the plane. Set them back more and get a good cg, but a much longer run time is noted. The plane screams when it's airborne. Very sweet sounding and handles well. Start with low rates on ailerons and maybe even elevator. I Put the eflite light kit in the plane $24 for 4 lights and 2 extenders and the voltage connector. Looks cool at night but not visible in daylight. Cut canopy open on bottom and put Fpv camera in seat next to the pilot. Haven't tried Fpv yet, but looks promising. Easy to land on water just don't slam it down.

John Campbell

Ok after flying 4 battery packs through the plane I have some pros and cons. The plane with wheels on needs pavement to take off and land, a perfect grass field will make this plane flip over when taxiing. Lake flying is great! a bit hard to steer on taxi if windy, tends to windmill and ignore rudder control. I flew the 2200 mah battery got about 8 mins before seeing voltage drop below safe levels. I did put my 3200 mah 20 c batteries from my apprentice in the plane. Set them back more and get a good cg, but a much longer run time is noted. The plane screams when it's airborne. Very sweet sounding and handles well. Start with low rates on ailerons and maybe even elevator. I Put the eflite light kit in the plane $24 for 4 lights and 2 extenders and the voltage connector. Looks cool at night but not visible in daylight. Cut canopy open on bottom and put Fpv camera in seat next to the pilot. Haven't tried Fpv yet, but looks promising. Easy to land on water just don't slam it down.

Great Feedback. Thanks. Sounds very promising. 2 Questions for you.

I know you said you were using a 3200 20C, but what C rating 2200 were you using (20C)?

Is there enough power to belly slide a takeoff from the Grass?

Thanks.

Fishbonez

Great feedback. Although this looks like a very cool plane it may not be the one for folks here in Wyoming. Just a couple of questions when the plane windmilled on the water how much wind do you think you had?

John Campbell

Great flying plane, my first 2 flights had radio issues, new receiver for 3rd flight and had an issue to where the fairing between the wings in front of the motor came off in flight. Landed in the water and was able to recover (Images attached). It appears that they painted the air red, and then glued the fairing down with little glue. Highly recommend removing and re-gluing. This is needed to cover wiring for aileron servos and keeping water out of the fuselage. Not sure yet what glue I am going to use, as I may need to remove it for maintenance later, but I don't want it to come off either.

Overall Great flyer... Probably the best to learn how to fly off the water.

See images and video.

ICON-A5 Top Cowl-1.JPG

ICON-A5 Top Cowl-2.JPG

ICON-A5 Top Cowl-4.JPG

ICON-A5 Top Cowl-3.JPG