Parkzone radian Owners thread?

aeroncalover

It shouldn't do that....
Just wondering, Is there an owners thread for the Radian here? I feel like there must be, but I can't find it.

rmbayer

Not sure, but....Dad gave me the parts to one. I did the mods except flaps. First flight was 33min on 2:30 of motor time. Could have flown much longer, but the wind rose and the lift died. Just had to stop while ahead and smiling. At least 4 of us at our club have Radians and can't wait to fly a "Gaggle" of em! Radian crop.jpg Radian3 first flight.jpg

Geezah

Very nice flight time RMBayer! I got a UMX Radian a month ago and it floats along nicely. I only wish my Old DX7 was more easily programmable. I think with a few changes in expo and rate, All of my older foamies would be more fun. I ordered a new Radio Link AT-10 Radio system and extra receivers for my planned Scratch builds.
Where in TX are you at? Are you slope surfing or thermalling? I used to live in San Angelo and Copperas Cove (Ft. Hood.) What did you use as paint on your Radian? It looks nice.

rmbayer

20160430_220356(2).jpg 20160430_220157(1).jpg

Have to correct myself. This was the first successful flight of the Radian. First flight lasted 5 seconds of spin into the soft earth breaking the fuselage in two just forward of the wing. After gluing it back, inserting much carbon strip, tow and pushrod, fairing with nightmare light Spackle and spray painting the fuselage, I covered the elevator and wing in less that permanently attached colored packing tape.

I live in Houston, but Built a Gentle Lady at Foot Hood while in the service. I tried slope soaring it there. After repairs I used a Cox Texaco .049 them a TD .049 to send it well above any 400ft limits to soar and thermal many fun flights.

I have always dreamed of flight a high performance sailplane, but lacking high performance flight skills the Radian is a great platform to gain confidence and I plan to practice some contest skills with this fine Gift from Dad. The plane just flies nice.

There are at least 4 other pilots in the club that also have the Radian, and I can't wait to soar with a gaggle of them in friendly competition.

kacknor

Build another!
Radian Pro count? I was gifted one that was a tad beat up as an incentive to join a local sailplane club. It worked. ;)

I had to do some repairs and add a few parts like an ESC and fix some way out of sequence flaps. Flew it for the first time today. No crash, no long flights, and I've still a bit of tweaking to do on the thing. The brake was off, the incidence on the elevator has to be reset, but it flew! Got six flight modes programed in on a DX7 G2. Need to explore each to see what, exactly, they do and how much. Going to tweak and refly soon. Think I might like it.

JD

Redflier

Launch Mode
I have just acquired a bargain, but battered, Radian. Not flown it yet, as I am waiting for the batteries to be delivered.

*twiddles thumbs*

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on flight modes for the 3ch version? There's loads on Youtube about how to programme for full house gliders, but not much for us simple souls...

Redflier

Launch Mode
OK, Radianistas, anyone know whether I could fit a monowheel sensibly? And where? There seems to be the remains of a plastic skid underneath, but I can't find a replacement part for that, so wondered about a different approach.

FroggerJon

I landed it!
You might try fabricating a belly plate. I have had good luck with heavy duty plastic file folders. Just apply a little heat to make the folder curve to match the contour of the fuse and then hot/guerrilla/foamtac glue it into place. Hope this helps!

Redflier

Launch Mode
Aha! Thanks for the tip.

Speaking of tip, that may be where my Radian ends up, as I still can't get it to bind :(

Flite Risk

OG. Park zone checking in.
FRsky: Qx7/D8R
Rates:100/60/30 I only ever use 100 though.
0% Expo

Attachments

• Attach62877_20200717_084827.jpg
    Attach62877_20200717_084827.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0