Parrot AR Drone 2.0 - REVIEW

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

The Parrot AR Drone 2.0 is the newest installment of the AR Drone line. Like the original AR Drone, this quadcopter is operated over a wifi signal using an iPad or iPod device.

Be sure to check out the full article on the main site here!

PaulT

Mentor
Alfred Hitchcock would be proud!
As you may or may not know the famous film director had a cameo appearance in every one of his movies.
Not to be outdone, this is featuring Chad's Reflective Photo Bomb.
RPB
Well played, Chad, well played!

I can see where my xmas bonus is going to go this year.
Ipad + Ar 2
Nice review guys.

Nonamerc

Arman
Really enjoyed the review. One more reason for david to come to flitetest to fly this quad. Do you have an idea when David comes if he comes?

Arman, nonamerc

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
IPAD + AR Drone 2 ....... I can think of a lot better quad system for nearly $1K that would cost. ;)

Thurmond

Tritium

Yes but V1 came with an iPad ;)

Thanks for that reminder Paul, I forgot :D but I do remember hearing that somewhere :p. But since I missed out on the V1 with FREE Ipad, V2 would cost me a lot. Now if I could fly it on my Mac SE from 25 years ago :eek: it might work out. ;)

Thurmond

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Thurmond

What's interesting is in my humble opinion its an expensive toy which I wouldn't spend the money on, but I know lots of people with them, so I guess there is a market out there :) Now if it came with iProduct, that would be really cool ;)

SteveOBHave

Thurmond

What's interesting is in my humble opinion its an expensive toy which I wouldn't spend the money on, but I know lots of people with them, so I guess there is a market out there :) Now if it came with iProduct, that would be really cool ;)

I agree but when it comes to getting your hands on a Quad with FPV capability it's pretty good for the price and capability. The main thing that lets it down is its range.

IPAD + AR Drone 2 ....... I can think of a lot better quad system for nearly $1K that would cost. ;)

Thurmond
A lot of people already have an iPad and most people I know have an iPhone. As such it is a fairly cheap way to get into RC stuff as you don't need a transmitter.

Tritium

It is great that many people support Apple. I did in the first days of the Apple computers but the closed architecture that the company adopted from the beginning drove me to the PC market. I have a number of Early Apple computers, IIE's, IIC's, various Mac's, I had one of the first 100 Macs off the production line, and Power PC's. However, Iphones do NOT WORK in some parts of rural America, like where I live so I CAN't use them.

I would like it if the folks at AR Drone would make one that uses a regular transmitter that I have already otherwise I would probably spend the money on something like a DJI Flamewheel (though I have some issues with DJI's business model as well).

As bmsweb stated above the AR Drone is kind of the "TOY" of the quad copter world imho.

Thurmond

sirbevalot

Hey guys,

Long time watcher, first post.

I just bought one and i love it. I also built a H quad using PVC pipe. the ar drone is a lot easier to fly then my h quad..... but im a noob and still learning.

My 2 cents on the "it costs too much coz u need an I phone or tablet", is this; If you don't own an "I" device of some sort then you are the minority.

I will continue to enjoy my ar drone 2.0 whilst learning how to fly my rc h quad.

p.s love this site.

Mark (from South Australia)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Welcome, Mark!

The difference between the AR drone and the H-quad is that the drone has accelerometers to hold it in a hover - the KKboard on the H-copter only has gyros.