Part 6 - How to Design DTFB Planes

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Not yet. I got started, but have not made it through all of it. The I've been working some crazy hours over the last few months. Have not been on here much either. I have not even had time to build or fly. Friday was an 18 hour day for me. Then I was back at 7 AM on Saturday. I'm dying to get back to this stuff.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Outdoing yourself again, Nerdnic. I have the same time issue as Jaxx but definitely subscribed and watching! Thanks for putting this together!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Not yet. I got started, but have not made it through all of it. The I've been working some crazy hours over the last few months. Have not been on here much either. I have not even had time to build or fly. Friday was an 18 hour day for me. Then I was back at 7 AM on Saturday. I'm dying to get back to this stuff.

Oh wow, that's intense. Is this just a busy season in general for work? Any relief coming soon?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Outdoing yourself again, Nerdnic. I have the same time issue as Jaxx but definitely subscribed and watching! Thanks for putting this together!

Thanks! I'm having a hard time getting my recording set up going for the next videos so they will be a tad further out than I had wanted.

Jaxx

Oh wow, that's intense. Is this just a busy season in general for work? Any relief coming soon?

It's just how it is sometimes. We're doing more with less. The holidays should bring some relief. I'm working on the Chipmunk tonight. I'm like a junky going through withdrawal right now. Have to get my fix.

By the way. Did you ever produce plans for that Spitfire canopy you made? I know it's a dumb question, considering how busy you've been, but I though I would ask anyway.

One other question. You're still using the laminating pouch for your canopies right? I was tempted to try out some heavy-weight transparency film. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V18QDS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
It's just how it is sometimes. We're doing more with less. The holidays should bring some relief. I'm working on the Chipmunk tonight. I'm like a junky going through withdrawal right now. Have to get my fix.

By the way. Did you ever produce plans for that Spitfire canopy you made? I know it's a dumb question, considering how busy you've been, but I though I would ask anyway.

One other question. You're still using the laminating pouch for your canopies right? I was tempted to try out some heavy-weight transparency film. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V18QDS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I haven't, it's still on my list though! I am still using the laminating sheets but those heavy weight transparency films look like a great deal. I paid like a buck each for my sheets, 100 for 26 bucks is a steal!

Jaxx

I haven't, it's still on my list though! I am still using the laminating sheets but those heavy weight transparency films look like a great deal. I paid like a buck each for my sheets, 100 for 26 bucks is a steal!

I'm going to have to give them a try. I will let you know how they work.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I think they will still work great. Only thing is you probably can't use hot glue as it will melt the sheet.

Jaxx

I think they will still work great. Only thing is you probably can't use hot glue as it will melt the sheet.

I'll be trying hot glue, Aleene's Tacky Glue and Fabri-Tac, to see which one works best.

Kammo

Nic Lechner 1 day ago on YouTube said:
I'm glad you enjoyed it so far. I'd love to help you out, but please tell me the following:
1. What point are you at in your build?
2. What info do you feel is missing?

I thought I was ready to print then realized you had wing cutouts and I didn’t.
Main thing I’m not sure about is the wing cut out on the fuse. How did you come up with the measurements?

Also I don’t know how you came up with the cardboard pieces at all.

I noticed you put the holes in for the power pod to mount into the top of the
fuse. That is easy to figure out, just almost didn't catch that.

Just noticed you had done a few things to your project between 5 & 6 but did not
show how you did it. Want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I'm adding a link to the project picture I'm working on that I have followed you by. Its not the same plane
as yours its a F4U Corsair. But using the same guidelines as yours. If you look at the wing, you will see why
I'm having issues coming up with the correct measurements on the cut out for the wing.
If you need or want, I can send you my PSD file with what I have so far.. Its almost done.

Thanks for making these tutorials! THEY ARE AWESOME!!!

http://www.poweredmodelairplanes.com/pma/george/corsair/corsair01.html

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I thought I was ready to print then realized you had wing cutouts and I didn’t.
Main thing I’m not sure about is the wing cut out on the fuse. How did you come up with the measurements?

I noticed you put the holes in for the power pod to mount into the top of the
fuse. That is easy to figure out, just almost didn't catch that.

Just noticed you had done a few things to your project between 5 & 6 but did not
show how you did it. Want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I'm adding a link to the project picture I'm working on that I have followed you by. Its not the same plane
as yours its a F4U Corsair. But using the same guidelines as yours. If you look at the wing, you will see why
I'm having issues coming up with the correct measurements on the cut out for the wing.
If you need or want, I can send you my PSD file with what I have so far.. Its almost done.

Thanks for making these tutorials! THEY ARE AWESOME!!!

http://www.poweredmodelairplanes.com/pma/george/corsair/corsair01.html

Hey man! I'm gonna try to address your questions but let me know if you something doesn't make sense.

I covered the wing cut out here: http://youtu.be/EJNWg2LjN5M?t=32m43s But I've also found that if you print your wing and build half of it, you can trace the shape for the cutout really well. I've not covered how you turn this trace into digital form yet, that's coming in part 7, but it is an option. The F4U will have some different challenges to overcome, though. The gull wings and rounded fuse might be a little more tricky. I've stared designing a Corsair and my wing is mostly done but I've not started on the cutout just yet.

Poster board is covered here: http://youtu.be/EJNWg2LjN5M?t=47m45s There isn't a good way to 'complete' the poster board with this design method without doing a build test. The F4U will again be tricky as the fuse is rounded all the way around so the technique to get the outline started that I show is not going to directly work for your design. On my last round fuse build I ended up starting with scratch paper and working it by hand. Once I got a good design I transferred it to digital.

I noticed you put the holes in for the power pod to mount into the top of the fuse. That is easy to figure out, just almost didn't catch that.
I used a piece of a previous plan as a template - you can also use any of the FT plans in the same way.
http://youtu.be/EJNWg2LjN5M?t=27m1s

Good luck on your build! I think you would benefit from part 7 with your design - I just need to actually complete it :p

Kammo

Awesome, thank you very much for responding so quickly with some answers! They all make sense and I knew going into the corsair that it was gonna be tricky but I am not sure if I am going to make the first one completely to speck with the rounded fuse or not but I am going to do the gull wing. I have a good method for this that should work fine.
Can't wait for part 7.. chomping at the bit here! lol..
Thanks again for everything and PLEASE keep doing what your doing.. I have watched ALL your videos.