Passion reignited ;)

Ventus

Hello FliteTest community :)

I used to dabble in designing, building and flying RC airplanes in the past (had built or assembled, flown - and crashed ;) - half a dozen or so).

Haven't done much for the past eight years, other then draw up up some preliminary designs and pretty much leave it at that. Then, two months ago or so I stumbled upon FliteTest videos on Youtube and the passion - both for designing and flying - was reignited :). Big thank you for that to the FliteTest crew, I know that this is a business for you guys, but you clearly love what your doing and it really comes across in your videos, which I find very inspiring.

I have to say the idea of building with foamboard was completely new to me and I found it absolutely fantastic. The builds can be really quick, simple and cheap, but also get much more advanced if desired. So I got busy building and designing and have completed and succesfully flown four RC planes in the past several weeks: an FT Scout clone, a wing patterned after the FT Versa, a 40" aerobatic monoplane (own design) and finally - the Balrog, a biplane - a bit larger and more advance project which I intend to make a thread about in the scratch built section soon.

And most important of all - I am truly having fun learning and enjoying the process :).

Thanks for your attention and happy building and flying to all :).

IMG_20180923_143354.jpg

IMG_20180929_203141.jpg

IMG_20181004_204451.jpg

IMG_20181031_103953.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice builds mate. Well done and welcome to the madness. Just watch out for that big rabbit hole ypu are about to step in hehe.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome, you’ve got some great looking planes. To me foam board is tougher than balsa. FB will survive a crash far better. FT planes are the most fun you can have for $2.

PoorManRC

Master member
Welcome Aboard!!!! ;):)
I'm another N00B... but I have no RC Flight experience. YOU, have that plus DESIGN, GOOD Design experience!!! :oops::eek:

I'm only slightly jealous. My thing has always been Automotive... I'm good at it. I flew real ones, but virtually have NO experience with RC Aircraft!! :whistle:
It's OK, because there's more sharing and helpful, Generous People in this Hobby, than ANY Other!!! And isn't that what makes this Hobby so awesome?

We all bring different skillsets. Someday, I may even find something that I can contribute!!! So I hope you don't mind if I might "borrow" a few design ideas. LOL 😂 😂😆
Seriously, you've entered a GREAT Forum!

Ventus

Thanks guys.

@Merv - yes I am actually in awe of foamboard :cool: the simplicity and quickness of the build process is really what brought me back to the hobby. It also reminds me a bit of building scale cardboard models (which I also used to do).

Just bought some more (of my local variety), gonna do some experimenting with different building techniques and stuff... good times ;)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
It also reminds me a bit of building scale cardboard models

Cardboard planes, that brings back some memories. I’ve build several of those myself.

Regarding FB, Dollar Tree carries Adams & Walmart carries Ross, there are minor difference between the two, both work equally well for me. There are other brands of FB, such as Elmers, wich are much heavier and 3x the price. If your store has both the heavy & light weight FB you will immediately be able to tell the difference by picking them up.

Lastly don’t use too much hot glue, it’s heavy. One stick per plane.

Ventus

I am in Poland ;) so far I've been able to only buy one make of FB here (I think it's of German origin but not sure, I will ask the next time I buy it). I do think it's the heavier variety (the paper layers seem heavier and thicker and have a tendency to tear when being peeled off, unlike what I see with the FT board in the videos).

I did ask in another thread if someone can provide the weight of FT foam board so that I can compare the two.

However I do have an idea how to make a really lightweight build even out of the FB I have, going to try it with my next design.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
However I do have an idea how to make a really lightweight build even out of the FB I have, going to try it with my next design.

Welcome to the forums! :D

Please do start a build thread for that design and drop a link to it here. Always interested in new approaches, and as a community we need more people showing how to overcome the challenges of heavier foam board! :D

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I am in Poland ;) so far I've been able to only buy one make of FB here However I do have an idea how to make a really lightweight build even out of the FB I have, going to try it with my next design.

Many builders outside the USA are using depron covered with packing tape, laminate film or paper ar a substitute for FB.