Pat Tritle Pietenpol Aircamper

OliverW

Legendary member
Sorry for the delays, got the vertical stab done!
20190516_210403.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
A handy trick to get those slots cut for the stringers on future builds is to glue a piece of sand paper to a stick of balsa that is the same thickness as the stringer. Then line up your stack of formers together, and with a few strokes of the sandpaper you can quickly and easily cut out those slots all lined up with no fuss! Work great to make the slot for the spar in the ribs too!

OliverW

Legendary member
It has been almost a month!!! I am starting a new fuse and tail with thicker wood, because my fuse and tail broke millions of times from us just breathing on it..

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Pat Tritle designs his builds like rubber powered stick and tissue planes. Modifying with thicker wood will increase the weight requiring modifications to support this. More power in the motor, more support for the increased power, more support for landing forces with the increased weight, and potentially more weight to balance.

It can be done but just be mindful of this as you increase your weight.

OliverW

Legendary member
Pat Tritle designs his builds like rubber powered stick and tissue planes. Modifying with thicker wood will increase the weight requiring modifications to support this. More power in the motor, more support for the increased power, more support for landing forces with the increased weight, and potentially more weight to balance.

It can be done but just be mindful of this as you increase your weight.
We will be replacing the 1/8 balsa with 1/4 soft lightweight balsa. I am also slowly working on his 40 inch porter which crumbles in my hands as well.

TexMechsRobot

His builds definitely take a delicate hand but are well worth the effort. If you want practice for less expense, try building a few Guillows model frames. They're fun, can take as little time as a weekend and can make nice display pieces or be modified to fly micro RC.

OliverW

Legendary member
His builds definitely take a delicate hand but are well worth the effort. If you want practice for less expense, try building a few Guillows model frames. They're fun, can take as little time as a weekend and can make nice display pieces or be modified to fly micro RC.
I have attempted multiple guillows kits, and somehow found them stronger.?

TexMechsRobot

I have attempted multiple guillows kits, and somehow found them stronger.?

The wood that comes with Guillows is generally harder, cheaper wood. So that's not too surprising. Working with those will increase your dexterity and help you build habits around handling the framework but the wood itself isn't a great comparison.

OliverW

Legendary member
This hurt me to do!!!! I stole all usable parts, firewall, motor mount, and all hand cut parts.
20190627_090951.jpg

OliverW

Legendary member
The wood that comes with Guillows is generally harder, cheaper wood. So that's not too surprising. Working with those will increase your dexterity and help you build habits around handling the framework but the wood itself isn't a great comparison.
Agreed. Sorry if I came off a bit harsh. I just was angry with having so many structural issues.

TexMechsRobot

Not at all! His builds aren't easy. Try to stick to the plans as much as possible and just be aware of the trade-offs you will encounter if you modify.