Pat Tritle Pietenpol Aircamper

OliverW

Legendary member
Started a new project on one of my favorite planes.
20190503_171314.jpg
20190503_171825.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm another Pietenpol fan! Here's a 1/4 scale version I built a few years back (although it's not completely finished yet, it's still missing some final details). She's powered by a .46 size electric motor which is WAY underpowered, to the point that it's barely able to get into the air without stalling. A future upgrade will be switching to a .60 size electric setup which should fix my problems.

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

OliverW

Legendary member
I'm another Pietenpol fan! Here's a 1/4 scale version I built a few years back (although it's not completely finished yet, it's still missing some final details). She's powered by a .46 size electric motor which is WAY underpowered, to the point that it's barely able to get into the air without stalling. A future upgrade will be switching to a .60 size electric setup which should fix my problems.

View attachment 130466

View attachment 130467
That looks beautiful! I hope mine only looks half as good!

OliverW

Legendary member
Ugh. I tried to take it off the building board and broke the leading edge apart, and destroyed the trailing edge. Forgot to mention I am talking about the elevator. But, with 10 minutes it will be good to go.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
A trick I learned on the old Guillow's kits is after the glue dries, pull out all the pins and lift up the whole sheet of wax paper with the balsa still glued to it. Then peel the wax paper off by pulling the paper back over itself at an actute angle - this way the force on the balsa will be mostly parallel to the sticks and not a "lifting" force that wants to break them.