Patrick's Paint Shop - a place for plane painting projects

Bricks

Master member
Like Addicted mentioned very light coats and time to actually dry between coats should help. If you have an airbrush and water base paints there is about zero fumes but does take time to dry between coats. Thats where many get into trouble not letting the underlying coats dry and trying to get coverage in one or two coats..

Yusernaym

20201016_230733_HDR.jpg

Here's how it's looking so far. I'll be adding some more details later, but for now we're sticking with this. It's flown once with this paint scheme, and doesn't seem to have been impacted by the additional weight.

Tech3811

Selection of paint jobs there to feast on 👍

SPRAY
I first started using spray cans and masking tape, very quick way to get the job done however detail is difficult unless your prepared to cut the masking tape to shape first. Examples are the red and white striped f-15 & yellow Mig
Note I don’t use paper covering that all comes off, if you don’t prep the foam with minwax or 50/50 water and PVA glue Some rattle cans / spray paint will eat your newly built foam !!!
Sometimes for coverage I will spray first and finish detailing with a brush and some cheap acrylic paint from local arts n craft store.
View attachment 171220
ACRYLIC
This is where you can have some fun with designs example Superflanker twin, su30, Eurofighter, both Corsair and most of my planes
Again prep foam board as described above unless it’s paper covered
Always start with lightest colour first that way if you make a mistake you can hide with darker colour. Again the use of masking tape is great for lines or edges, example Reno Corsair (red &White) if you want writing or numbers on plane? I put down some masking tape, (layer the edges over each tape to get sheet) on cutting board, use a sharpie to write or draw design then cut out with exacto knife then you have a stencil to place over your plane and paint 👍 watch for overspray if using rattle can
View attachment 171222
AIRBRUSH
love my airbrush however this takes a bit practise getting what you want but results are great,
My Spitfire all airbrushed as blending the paint so you get the soft lines on camouflage was what I was looking for, airbrush is always great for weathering just be sure that less is more and always paint lightly, 5 coats on the same area is better than whacking 1 heavy coat On.
Layering up the paint with airbrush will give you a better finish. Use paper, masking tape or stencils for hard edges
Freehand is good but again takes practise example my Covid Viper vertical stabiliser skull was done freehand but ended up with bit more overspray than I wanted, skull was done first on white foam then edged with the yellow
I usually run my compressor at 20-30psi and thin my paint 1-1 ratio and build up the layers, airbrushing the paint drys very quick, if mistakes are done and your quick you can usually clean up with thinner.
View attachment 171230
Finishing
I finish my planes with couple coats of minwax. This will seal your paint design in and give a tougher finish with that nice showroom shine
You can also use 1/1 water and PVA glue to seal and showroom shine your project
All my paint shops projects these days are done with a mixture of both Acrylic and Airbrushing
View attachment 171227
Picture coming soon of my P51-D variant 🥰
I will add step by step pictures when she’s ready
Could you give me a link to the plans of the "Covid Viper?"

Yusernaym

I'm generally not a fan of military planes, but with the right paint scheme, that F-16 could be a good option for a first EDF. I'm torn between building another X-29 and this or some other community designed EDF jet.

OliverW

Legendary member
I'm generally not a fan of military planes, but with the right paint scheme, that F-16 could be a good option for a first EDF. I'm torn between building another X-29 and this or some other community designed EDF jet.
I'd say do the F-16 because it is known to be easy to fly and launch

Yusernaym

That's something to think about. My X-29 with a pusher can be hand launched, barely, but I would think that would be easier with an EDF. They have less static thrust, but not having to worry about catching the prop would let you give it a better toss. Do you know how the F-16 handles? From the couple of videos I've seen it looks a little less slippery than the X-29, but that's neutral to me, honestly. I really like how the X-29 feels, especially the slip when pulling out of a low pass, but something less twitchy can be nice sometimes. Whichever route I go, it'll probably have to wait a while, as I now have enough airworthy planes to have pretty long flying sessions.

Yusernaym

I should have mentioned it in that reply, but I'm especially curious about glide performance. The X-29 drops like a rock off power, and it looks like the F-16 has proportionally more wing area, so I would think it would handle that better.

OliverW

Legendary member
I should have mentioned it in that reply, but I'm especially curious about glide performance. The X-29 drops like a rock off power, and it looks like the F-16 has proportionally more wing area, so I would think it would handle that better.
From what I've seen the F-16 glides very well for being a EDF

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Recently did my first fade paint job! I painted the whole area that was going to get painted in the lighter color first, in this case it was silver. Then I painted the darker color. I started with the spray can closer to the foam and then moved it away to put down less paint giving it a gradient effect. Here's how it turned out!
IMG_20201003_150930391_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201004_121656_560.jpg