Patrick's Paint Shop - a place for plane painting projects

Timmy

Legendary member
Disclaimer: This is not an actual shop
Here you can share all your paint schemes you are proud of, any painting tips and tricks, paint jobs in general you like, and your painting projects.
Pictures are appreciated unless you can describe stuff really, really well.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Here’s my new FT Duster. I painted it like the Eflite air tractor and I’m really happy with how it turned out! One new technique I used on it was spray painting masking tape and then cutting the shape I need out of it. It worked really well and was wayyy easier than masking the whole plane off to paint one small area. I haven’t had any issues with the tape peeling except on the LE of the wing where I made a mistake and left an open seam. The grad has caught it when landing a couple times but that’s my fault.
72507EF8-1B05-4A33-8B6B-08032C97D976.jpeg
F1E00397-F78A-49C2-B03F-8899ED0B171F.jpeg
169D03FA-A1AE-4B27-9467-B1986D288B10.jpeg
F746E9EA-E3CD-4B80-AA6C-651AB5EEDC52.jpeg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Nice! When I first saw it on another thread I knew there was something fishy with the blue and black but I would have never guessed it was masking tape.
I didn't have the right color of blue, and then I realized that my masking tape was the right color! Then I decided to use it for the black as well (canopy was done directly with spray paint though). I'll definitely be using it on future builds!

Timmy

Legendary member
I've used painted stickers before because I was too lazy to buy paint on my tiny trainer wing. Then I put clear tape over the stickers so that the paint wouldn't get wet and turn blotchy. I mixed some yellow and red acrylic paint.
I didn't do the best job.:giggle:
P1130715.JPG

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
This is my latest lock down build the Sky Explorer a mashup between a Sky Hunter box tail design and the FT Explorer and here it is in my standard paint scheme for my Long Range FPV aircraft, I call it "Red Neck Camouflage" in my area everyone around me has a shot gun and they will shoot at anything, so if they stop to think twice thinking it may be a US Coast Guard Search & Rescue Drone before going for the bird guns I will take it as a win and time to get out of range.

Its ready to maiden swinging a 11" 3 blade prop before it gets the fpv, long range and telemetry gear installed

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@Aireal Anarchist On a bright note with registration and soon to be regulated and integrated with full scale aircraft those yocals can be arrested for domestic terrorism for shooting at your stuff. Before we were just toys now we are federally regulated AND protected. (Be sure to let them know it will be open season for drone delivery vehicles and they can loot what they kill though).

Timmy

Legendary member
I was painting my Simple soarer but one of my spray cans got clogged. Not the nozzle but the little tube on the inside. The can was sitting around for about a year so some paint probably dried up on the inside. Can I unclog it or do I have to buy something new?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I was painting my Simple soarer but one of my spray cans got clogged. Not the nozzle but the little tube on the inside. The can was sitting around for about a year so some paint probably dried up on the inside. Can I unclog it or do I have to buy something new?
Pull off the new nozzle and soak it in paint thinner. Until it unclogs. You may need some paint brush support.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I really haven't played with paint all that much. Once I get my paint booth set up in my new house I'll start messing about with Oratex and Koverall and coverings that require painting again, but it's not like I can do it right now.

Of the probably 4 or 5 FT Cubs I've built only the first two were painted. The blue and yellow one was actually the first ever foamboard plane I built (that flew more than once) though it was only ever set up as a 3 channel because I was a massive noob. The yellow and red one was an experiment to see if I could mix polycrilic and paint to make it extra durable and waterproof. I think the finish is much nicer because it came out shinier. It flew much better and lived longer, and I've still got it and it could fly again.

P_20190516_173717 (1).jpg

Most of my painted stuff wasn't planes though. Before that I mostly played with RC cars. Considering in those days I had no airbrush and was like 13 I think I did pretty well for myself.

P_20190120_005842.jpg

Speaking of this car in particular. I had the dumb idea to mount a massive EDF motor in it, because why the hell not? Also, my photographic abilities in those days left much to be desired. This was after I painted the rims silver, which I thought looked pretty cool.

P_20190117_190941_LL.jpg

Last edited:

shadeyB

Legendary member
Disclaimer: This is not an actual shop
Here you can share all your paint schemes you are proud of, any painting tips and tricks, paint jobs in general you like, and your painting projects.
Pictures are appreciated unless you can describe stuff really, really well.

Selection of paint jobs there to feast on 👍

SPRAY
I first started using spray cans and masking tape, very quick way to get the job done however detail is difficult unless your prepared to cut the masking tape to shape first. Examples are the red and white striped f-15 & yellow Mig
Note I don’t use paper covering that all comes off, if you don’t prep the foam with minwax or 50/50 water and PVA glue Some rattle cans / spray paint will eat your newly built foam !!!
Sometimes for coverage I will spray first and finish detailing with a brush and some cheap acrylic paint from local arts n craft store.
C713C1ED-B970-4313-9387-3D7D4B96F1D5.jpeg

ACRYLIC
This is where you can have some fun with designs example Superflanker twin, su30, Eurofighter, both Corsair and most of my planes
Again prep foam board as described above unless it’s paper covered
Always start with lightest colour first that way if you make a mistake you can hide with darker colour. Again the use of masking tape is great for lines or edges, example Reno Corsair (red &White) if you want writing or numbers on plane? I put down some masking tape, (layer the edges over each tape to get sheet) on cutting board, use a sharpie to write or draw design then cut out with exacto knife then you have a stencil to place over your plane and paint 👍 watch for overspray if using rattle can
675F94A2-1197-4021-BE56-C7F5DA22088F.jpeg

AIRBRUSH
love my airbrush however this takes a bit practise getting what you want but results are great,
My Spitfire all airbrushed as blending the paint so you get the soft lines on camouflage was what I was looking for, airbrush is always great for weathering just be sure that less is more and always paint lightly, 5 coats on the same area is better than whacking 1 heavy coat On.
Layering up the paint with airbrush will give you a better finish. Use paper, masking tape or stencils for hard edges
Freehand is good but again takes practise example my Covid Viper vertical stabiliser skull was done freehand but ended up with bit more overspray than I wanted, skull was done first on white foam then edged with the yellow
I usually run my compressor at 20-30psi and thin my paint 1-1 ratio and build up the layers, airbrushing the paint drys very quick, if mistakes are done and your quick you can usually clean up with thinner.
C391C7BB-F4FB-4308-8FC9-942CB746CCE6.png

Finishing
I finish my planes with couple coats of minwax. This will seal your paint design in and give a tougher finish with that nice showroom shine
You can also use 1/1 water and PVA glue to seal and showroom shine your project
All my paint shops projects these days are done with a mixture of both Acrylic and Airbrushing
2E2D22ED-0B4B-419B-8B1D-6D4D354E7716.jpeg

Picture coming soon of my P51-D variant 🥰
I will add step by step pictures when she’s ready

Attachments

• E9523877-D379-46FB-8934-DED30487D960.jpeg
    E9523877-D379-46FB-8934-DED30487D960.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 937C0031-F0D5-4F7D-80F2-73B28C895F94.jpeg
    937C0031-F0D5-4F7D-80F2-73B28C895F94.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • FB7A5102-D794-4E86-96EA-B403A7EA894F.jpeg
    FB7A5102-D794-4E86-96EA-B403A7EA894F.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 0
  • 1923A63C-257A-4E7E-BA10-29098FC45599.jpeg
    1923A63C-257A-4E7E-BA10-29098FC45599.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 725C48C6-C21E-4498-ADFB-05A0C90D60BB.jpeg
    725C48C6-C21E-4498-ADFB-05A0C90D60BB.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 89495250-E3F5-4DD2-B4C7-16FD6C1932F0.png
    89495250-E3F5-4DD2-B4C7-16FD6C1932F0.png
    15.7 MB · Views: 0
  • F44C6FD0-D398-47F8-BA7B-3A7A6F1148FA.png
    F44C6FD0-D398-47F8-BA7B-3A7A6F1148FA.png
    17.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
paint jobs are cool but remember paint weighs a lot! especially on bigger planes you can completely mess up your CG. a friend just built an FT Mini-Corsair and due to paint can't get it to balance. beautiful plane, but useless. you now either have to go to bigger battery (if there is room), or add dead weight to the nose. this does nothing but add wing loading and increase the difficulty of flying the due to increase speeds needed to prevent stalls.

i love my paint but am always very mindful of what can happen.

laters,

me :cool:

shadeyB

Legendary member
paint jobs are cool but remember paint weighs a lot! especially on bigger planes you can completely mess up your CG. a friend just built an FT Mini-Corsair and due to paint can't get it to balance. beautiful plane, but useless. you now either have to go to bigger battery (if there is room), or add dead weight to the nose. this does nothing but add wing loading and increase the difficulty of flying the due to increase speeds needed to prevent stalls.

i love my paint but am always very mindful of what can happen.

laters,

me :cool:
I’m not sure I totally agree mrJd 🤔
I have never worried about the paint I have applied to each plane other than how it looks, yes paint will add weight however it’s minimal in my opinion, it should not add that much weight that cg is unobtainable unless the paint pot or can was in the plane also.
Yeah paint may be heavy while being applied however the paint total weight will reduce as it dried and the moisture has dissipated

No disrespect just my opinion