Patrick's Paint Shop - a place for plane painting projects

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Well THERE'S your problem. It's making a horrific sound. Some kind of terrifying rhythmic noise is emanating from your motor. I thought it was going to explode in an enormous fireball. Good thing with your quick thinking and lightning reflexes you were able to bring it to the ground in an emergency landing before that happened! Di you get any noise complaints from the neighbors? I wouldn't be surprised if the police showed up. Or representatives from the local church... That's a devil sound.
A pusher prop is working in a disturbed airflow, causing increased vibration and noise If the propeller is fitted behind a wing, each propeller blade is passing through the separated boundary flow twice each rotation. These cycles create additional noise and lower the efficiency of the propeller.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
A pusher prop is working in a disturbed airflow, causing increased vibration and noise If the propeller is fitted behind a wing, each propeller blade is passing through the separated boundary flow twice each rotation. These cycles create additional noise and lower the efficiency of the propeller.
I'm pretty sure that was a joke pointed at the music, brother.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Here’s my new FT Duster. I painted it like the Eflite air tractor and I’m really happy with how it turned out! One new technique I used on it was spray painting masking tape and then cutting the shape I need out of it. It worked really well and was wayyy easier than masking the whole plane off to paint one small area. I haven’t had any issues with the tape peeling except on the LE of the wing where I made a mistake and left an open seam. The grad has caught it when landing a couple times but that’s my fault.
View attachment 170597 View attachment 170598 View attachment 170599 View attachment 170600
Is that the version off Flite test or one of your own designs ?
Realised they didn't do this one just the Sportster and Cabby

Flyingshark

Master member
That's it, I new that they built one but could't find the plan on the Sponz plans index ?
Yeah, I think Sponz only posts plans on the index that he drew himself or revamped. That's why some of the old style plans aren't there, like the Mini Speedster and the Duster.

Bigeard

Selection of paint jobs there to feast on 👍

SPRAY
I first started using spray cans and masking tape, very quick way to get the job done however detail is difficult unless your prepared to cut the masking tape to shape first. Examples are the red and white striped f-15 & yellow Mig
Note I don’t use paper covering that all comes off, if you don’t prep the foam with minwax or 50/50 water and PVA glue Some rattle cans / spray paint will eat your newly built foam !!!
Sometimes for coverage I will spray first and finish detailing with a brush and some cheap acrylic paint from local arts n craft store.
View attachment 171220
ACRYLIC
This is where you can have some fun with designs example Superflanker twin, su30, Eurofighter, both Corsair and most of my planes
Again prep foam board as described above unless it’s paper covered
Always start with lightest colour first that way if you make a mistake you can hide with darker colour. Again the use of masking tape is great for lines or edges, example Reno Corsair (red &White) if you want writing or numbers on plane? I put down some masking tape, (layer the edges over each tape to get sheet) on cutting board, use a sharpie to write or draw design then cut out with exacto knife then you have a stencil to place over your plane and paint 👍 watch for overspray if using rattle can
View attachment 171222
AIRBRUSH
love my airbrush however this takes a bit practise getting what you want but results are great,
My Spitfire all airbrushed as blending the paint so you get the soft lines on camouflage was what I was looking for, airbrush is always great for weathering just be sure that less is more and always paint lightly, 5 coats on the same area is better than whacking 1 heavy coat On.
Layering up the paint with airbrush will give you a better finish. Use paper, masking tape or stencils for hard edges
Freehand is good but again takes practise example my Covid Viper vertical stabiliser skull was done freehand but ended up with bit more overspray than I wanted, skull was done first on white foam then edged with the yellow
I usually run my compressor at 20-30psi and thin my paint 1-1 ratio and build up the layers, airbrushing the paint drys very quick, if mistakes are done and your quick you can usually clean up with thinner.
View attachment 171230
Finishing
I finish my planes with couple coats of minwax. This will seal your paint design in and give a tougher finish with that nice showroom shine
You can also use 1/1 water and PVA glue to seal and showroom shine your project
All my paint shops projects these days are done with a mixture of both Acrylic and Airbrushing
View attachment 171227
Picture coming soon of my P51-D variant 🥰
I will add step by step pictures when she’s ready

Bigeard

Selection of paint jobs there to feast on 👍

SPRAY
I first started using spray cans and masking tape, very quick way to get the job done however detail is difficult unless your prepared to cut the masking tape to shape first. Examples are the red and white striped f-15 & yellow Mig
Note I don’t use paper covering that all comes off, if you don’t prep the foam with minwax or 50/50 water and PVA glue Some rattle cans / spray paint will eat your newly built foam !!!
Sometimes for coverage I will spray first and finish detailing with a brush and some cheap acrylic paint from local arts n craft store.
View attachment 171220
ACRYLIC
This is where you can have some fun with designs example Superflanker twin, su30, Eurofighter, both Corsair and most of my planes
Again prep foam board as described above unless it’s paper covered
Always start with lightest colour first that way if you make a mistake you can hide with darker colour. Again the use of masking tape is great for lines or edges, example Reno Corsair (red &White) if you want writing or numbers on plane? I put down some masking tape, (layer the edges over each tape to get sheet) on cutting board, use a sharpie to write or draw design then cut out with exacto knife then you have a stencil to place over your plane and paint 👍 watch for overspray if using rattle can
View attachment 171222
AIRBRUSH
love my airbrush however this takes a bit practise getting what you want but results are great,
My Spitfire all airbrushed as blending the paint so you get the soft lines on camouflage was what I was looking for, airbrush is always great for weathering just be sure that less is more and always paint lightly, 5 coats on the same area is better than whacking 1 heavy coat On.
Layering up the paint with airbrush will give you a better finish. Use paper, masking tape or stencils for hard edges
Freehand is good but again takes practise example my Covid Viper vertical stabiliser skull was done freehand but ended up with bit more overspray than I wanted, skull was done first on white foam then edged with the yellow
I usually run my compressor at 20-30psi and thin my paint 1-1 ratio and build up the layers, airbrushing the paint drys very quick, if mistakes are done and your quick you can usually clean up with thinner.
View attachment 171230
Finishing
I finish my planes with couple coats of minwax. This will seal your paint design in and give a tougher finish with that nice showroom shine
You can also use 1/1 water and PVA glue to seal and showroom shine your project
All my paint shops projects these days are done with a mixture of both Acrylic and Airbrushing
View attachment 171227
Picture coming soon of my P51-D variant 🥰
I will add step by step pictures when she’s ready

Hi shadeyB , just been admiring your paint jobs mate and would appreciate a bit advice . Im buying my first foam build (kit form) the Flite Test Corsair Master Build model which as you probably know is paper covered . I would want to do a civilian style paint job simmilar to your corsair but need advice on the best paints to use ! Baring in mind the model is already paper covered I would want a white primer followed by a good quality gloss finish , and possibly a couple of coats of clear varnish to give a little extra protection . Any advice on types of paint ? I dont know whether to brush paint or spray can .
Cheers
M

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I bought a cheap airbrush, should have read the reviews first about airbrush painting, it was a complete waste of money. I have since bought a small gravity fed spray gun, the type they use for detail work on cars. I've had that about 12 months now and never used it, as I can not be arsed mixing acrylic paint with thinners to get the right consistency for spraying.
I ended up with 3 compressors which where all broken, I repaired all three now I have too many LOL :LOL:. Cans do give a great finish to models, but they are hideously expensive. I tried a can once, it was a can of Grey Rustoleum paint that my wife had left over from one her garden furniture painting projects. Nice finish but not worth the cost, although I didn't actually pay for it anyway :giggle: :sneaky:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Rustoleum enamel paint doesn't affect the foam and gives a good finish, Acrylic paint is also foam friendly but the finish isn't as good (I brush paint my acrylic on).
20210130_020648.jpg 20210407_174356.jpg
I also use polyurethane varnish to finish model.

I bought a cheap airbrush, should have read the reviews first about airbrush painting, it was a complete waste of money. I have since bought a small gravity fed spray gun, the type they use for detail work on cars. I've had that about 12 months now and never used it, as I can not be arsed mixing acrylic paint with thinners to get the right consistency for spraying.
I ended up with 3 compressors which where all broken, I repaired all three now I have too many LOL :LOL:. Cans do give a great finish to models, but they are hideously expensive. I tried a can once, it was a can of Grey Rustoleum paint that my wife had left over from one her garden furniture painting projects. Nice finish but not worth the cost, although I didn't actually pay for it anyway :giggle::sneaky:
Don't complicate this!!!
@Bigeard especially if you're fairly new to the process, get a can of spray and put some color on the plane. Lightly. Gently. If you leave some parts white you can surely get away with only one can of paint, tape off the white parts.
It's only a foamboard plane, and if you're having fun there will be many more after this. That means it's not as precious as you think, you don't need waterproofing or decals or two coats of clear over the color. Keep it simple and put it in the air.