PBY Catalina, an overambitious second build.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Wings. Sails. They are both good things.

And both are great for teaching the kiddos!

1020181756.jpg

Yep! I've always wanted to sail down a long river on natural power alone. Just relaxing for a few days, and maybe risking a few drone flights above the water.:unsure:

Luckily my float planes... well... float! :p But when I use the phantom (and I do quite a bit) I have a couple of these I put on just in case:

Someday I'll probably get something like a mavic as the p3p is a bit cumbersome to have on the boat...

"Corpse"

Legendary member
And both are great for teaching the kiddos!

View attachment 170195

Luckily my float planes... well... float! :p But when I use the phantom (and I do quite a bit) I have a couple of these I put on just in case:

Someday I'll probably get something like a mavic as the p3p is a bit cumbersome to have on the boat...
Way cool! I'll have to mount them on the arms of the miniquad if I do that.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Way cool! I'll have to mount them on the arms of the miniquad if I do that.

They ain't cheap but it beats losing a quad!

I've kinda always wanted to live on a boat.
Probably won't happen unless someone will sell me an aircraft carrier, I want my own airstrip.

Had a buddy that lived in lousiana on a pretty good sized pontoon house boat on the river. You could easily land something like the timber on the upper deck! Lol and as a bonus, you could use the slide as the launch system :ROFLMAO:

I dont miss much about California, but spending the weekend cruising the coast in a sailboat and racing in regattas was always something I enjoyed. Not a lot of fellow sailors in Wyoming!

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
They ain't cheap but it beats losing a quad!

Had a buddy that lived in lousiana on a pretty good sized pontoon house boat on the river. You could easily land something like the timber on the upper deck! Lol and as a bonus, you could use the slide as the launch system :ROFLMAO:

I dont miss much about California, but spending the weekend cruising the coast in a sailboat and racing in regattas was always something I enjoyed. Not a lot of fellow sailors in Wyoming!
I was thinking more along the lines of a full-size Kitfox. With the STi kit I could probably pull it off.
I agree, there's not much I like about California anymore either but I love being close to the sea.

Mckee

I've decided that I can order electronics once I am done with my application process for moar school (ugh... going back for more punishment). My understanding is that this plane can be built up using an A or F pack which leads me to my question. What's the A,B,C naming designation system? Does it related to voltage, wattage, thrust or prop size/pitch?
Would this set be a good match?
I've read some notes somewhere about getting the 30 amp ESC to allow for changing things up later... Is that worth while?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I've decided that I can order electronics once I am done with my application process for moar school (ugh... going back for more punishment). My understanding is that this plane can be built up using an A or F pack which leads me to my question. What's the A,B,C naming designation system? Does it related to voltage, wattage, thrust or prop size/pitch?
Would this set be a good match?
I've read some notes somewhere about getting the 30 amp ESC to allow for changing things up later... Is that worth while?
A, B, C are the letters that FT has assigned each power pack. The B and C pack spin larger props but spin them slower. They produce more thrust so are used for flying the larger models. The A and F pack are for minis since they are smaller and use a smaller prop. They spin faster but produce less thrust than the bigger motors. The power pack you listed ( A twin ) will work great. Using a 30 amp esc isn’t necessary, but it will work with the B and C pack if you decide to buy just the motor later on. If you’re getting the power pack, I wouldn’t bother with getting new esc’s.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
And Maker Foam is twice as expensive for some reason
@Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes Maker Foam is almost the same price (only slightly higher cost) than the old brown water resistant Flite Test foam. each box has half the number of sheets, but the sheets are twice as big (and scored and folded in half). I think the new stuff is like $5 more a box for the same amount of foam.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I did some tests on it a while ago. Maker foam (white) is slightly less water resistant than the original brown, but not by much. Both are excellent when painted and take paint well. The thick maker foam is the same as the thin stuff and as far as cost, is roughly the same per cubic inch. (So more expensive per sheet, but not by much when the amount of product is taken into account)

Tench745

Master member
I've kinda always wanted to live on a boat.
Probably won't happen unless someone will sell me an aircraft carrier, I want my own airstrip.

I lived on my O'Day for six months. Sailed from my home port of Mexico, NY down to the Bahamas. About as much living area on a 25 footer as a Grumman Widgeon, but way cheaper to operate. My friend has a Valiant 40 that is extremely comfortable and he flies his Autel X-star from it now and again.

And any body of water is a runway to an amphibian!

I took these in White Sound, Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas. They flew down for a week at the rental cottages there.
DSCF2130.jpg DSCF2131.jpg DSCF2132.jpg DSCF2133.jpg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I lived on my O'Day for six months...

Pretty tight quarters for that long! I'm jealous!

I spent a lot of my time while stationed in CA getting my ASA certifications, had big plans of being a charter boat captain while my then wife was attending med school at St. Martin... never made it down, but I will someday! When my kids are old enough to feed cows and take care of the place for the winter I'm going to buy a boat and spend some time bouncing around the Bahamas... Until then, lake sailing the ol Mac will have to suffice, keeps me from completely losing my sea legs... ;)

Mckee

I am glad you posted those. I have been stumped by the tail assembly support pieces. I am hoping to get the tower, and wings roughed out this weekend. The tower makes the body of the plane look like a submarine.