PBY motor & propeller selection

Mckee

I am building localfiend's PBY based off of the beta plans. The plans suggest an A or F power pack, but because I am new at this and have silly ideas in my head I want to use 3 bladed counter rotating props with the correct motors. Can I just go straight off the list in the attached image, and end up with the right stuff? Could you all help me make the list?

Attachments

• PBY systems.JPG
    PBY systems.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 0

mayan

Legendary member
Counter rotating props require a specific motor that can actually swing props in different directions. It basically two motor hooked together into one motor. I’ll be honest to say that I have never seen anyone do it without buying that expensive counter rotating motor. What is your flying skill. That way we can at least recommend what motor would best suit you.

Mckee

Sounds like I should give up on the the counter rotating prop idea. I am a novice. Almost all of my flying time is on a HZ Cub S which I fly with the SAFE mode on.

mayan

Legendary member
Ok in that case I would go with the A motor, it might make the plane a little slower but that might actually help you feel more comfortable.

Mckee

You know it occurs to me that we might have a misunderstanding. When I said counter rotating I was thinking left moter direction vs right motor direction, NOT two props on one shaft.

whackflyer

Master member
You know it occurs to me that we might have a misunderstanding. When I said counter rotating I was thinking left moter direction vs right motor direction, NOT two props on one shaft.
I was just about to ask you that. If you want to figure out how to do it watch something like the mini guinea build. I think maybe back then they used graupner stuff so it may be different but the P-38 or A-10 video will show you how with Spektrum.

Tench745

Master member

Bricks

Master member
Me personally would go with the F motor seen way to many planes marginal on power and a wind kicks up never get back to the field. They put a throttle on your transmitter for a reason.