PERFECT Bevel Cuts, Thanks to my 3D printer.

Bromego

So like many others after drooling over how easy flitetest makes scratch build look, I decided to ripe apart some 10+ year old planes, and a few trips to Amazon, and had everything I needed.

I started building my plan and when I tried to make my first bevel cut, it looked like I tossed it to a 2 year old with a box cutter and could not understand what I was doing wrong.

I turned to Thingiverse.com, and found this! If you have a 3D printer and build planes out of Dollar Tree Poster Board. This Thing is a must! It creates perfect bevel cuts every single time, and has GREATLY improved the quality of my planes.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1358344

Seriously flitetest crew. If you are reading this, you should sell these! They work wonders!!!!!

CavRecon

Both good ideas!

Seems like X-Acto blades have gotten expensive. If that bevel cutter took single-edge razor blades or utility knife blades, I would beg you to print one for me!

BobK

Banned
The bevel cutter would be nice though but yeah keeping a sharp X-Acto blade in it would be a chore.

Bromego

Both good ideas!

Seems like X-Acto blades have gotten expensive. If that bevel cutter took single-edge razor blades or utility knife blades, I would beg you to print one for me!

That can be arranged. A box cutter design would be better.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Cool! Thingiverse is the place if your into 3D printing.
As for blades, I don't care for utility knifes to much. Their just so awkward and the blades to wide for tight spots.
I can't live without my #11 Exacto style blades with a proper (and comfortable) handle.
$11 will get you 100 blades on Amazon. Even better they are super simple to sharpen.

As for the 45 degree tool. I'd like one that mounts to an aluminum #11 blade handle.
Maybe something like this only at a 45 degree angle?
pen pal.jpg

Bromego

Cool! Thingiverse is the place if your into 3D printing.
As for blades, I don't care for utility knifes to much. Their just so awkward and the blades to wide for tight spots.
I can't live without my #11 Exacto style blades with a proper (and comfortable) handle.
$11 will get you 100 blades on Amazon. Even better they are super simple to sharpen.

As for the 45 degree tool. I'd like one that mounts to an aluminum #11 blade handle.
Maybe something like this only at a 45 degree angle?
View attachment 65612

So like something that drags over the surface at 45 that holds the #11 Exacto?

Simple enough. My question is, is 45 the optimal angle. When I was building the FT trainer, I found 45 on the front edge still like not enough and i needed to open it up more.

CavRecon

I made one out of plywood scraps....but I'd rather hook Bromego up with the money, if that would be worth his while to print and mail me one. :D

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
So like something that drags over the surface at 45 that holds the #11 Exacto?

Simple enough. My question is, is 45 the optimal angle. When I was building the FT trainer, I found 45 on the front edge still like not enough and i needed to open it up more.

Specifically something that would hold the #11 blade handle, not the blade itself.
You have a valid point about the angles. If it was easy enough to remove and install the handle then why not several at various angles?

wilsonb

Hey, that's pretty cool. You found my design on thingiverse and posted about it here!

If there is interest, I can modify it a little to accept the box cutter blades. Or I can add the SolidWorks files to the thingiverse post and anyone can modify it. I designed it around the x-acto since that is what I use the most.

Interesting idea to have it hold the blade handle and position it properly. I designed the tool to constrain the foam board and the blade while keeping the blade covered so I didn't have to remove the blade after each use.

CavRecon

This is going to push me over the edge on buying a 3D printer.

This may not go well with SWMBO, given my spend over the past few weeks jumping into RC flying :)

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
For hinges I just measure back 5mm or so from the hinge line and make a mark with a pencil on the hinge, score the paper the length of the hinge using a steel ruler, remove the 5mm strip of paper, fold my hinge over and sand with a medium/coarse drywall sponge to a 45. I do everything this way, wing double bevels, elevator, rudder, its the most effective way I have found to get perfect 45's and you don't have to cut is the best part. I also gave up on paper hinges awhile ago and cut the ailerons, elevator, and rudder out and use cloth medical tape found at cvs for all my hinges. (not the regular medical tape you would normally think of this stuff is a lot thinner, I'm at work and forget the exact name of it) I had to many delaminate even with the hot glue hinge. The tools you guys are looking at are cool too if you like cutting your hinges. all the best Dustin