Perfect first plane

RTF or ARF?

• RTF

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • ARF

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

A-9

Hi guys i am pretty new in the rc airplanes. I already have a mini cessna (about the size of the chap but like 20 times faster) but i want a new plane, i was thinking about the bixler. But witch controller or charger should i get? Should i get the rtf or the arf. Should i buy a cheap charger or a good one. And what about the controller turnigy 9x or a standard hobbyking controller. Plz tell me ur toughts!

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I recommend you to get the RTF Bixler - every hour you can fly is great fun and with the RTF you will be flying long before you will do with an ARF.
I would recommend you a cheap multicharger like the http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...O6_50W_5A_Balancer_Charger_w_accessories.html or something similar with built in 230/110 AC-unit if you dont have a 12 V source (car battery).
Any controller is fine as a first one but i would recommend something like Futaba, Spektrum or Hitec with 20 or more model memories when you later collect more and more advanced planes. Look at what Josh and Josh uses.

Klonas

Well, If you buy the RTF version you will get that hobbyking controler which is good for your first plane... But if you are planning to have more that 1 plane you will need a better transmitter with essential functions such as mixing, model memory, reversing, expos, dual rates and so on... Turnigy 9x seems like a good and quite inexpensive transmitter.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yeah it does.

You really gotta ask yourself there: "Am I going to stay long with this hobby?"
You know yourself best and if you see all that awesome stuff and start reading up on forums and stuff like that you could potentially save a lot of money by directly buying stuff you will be using for a very long time such as a nicer charger and Turnigy 9X. Turnigy 9X will be much more then fine to start with. And a multicharger as suggested above is good way to go as well.

I bought a charger about 2 years and now I am getting to a point where I say that I should have spent those 50 bucks more to get a multicharger so I wouldn´t have those complains today.

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
I personally would get the ARF, I already have a HK 6ch Tx/Rx i gt for $23, then buy an ESC.

But if you are TOTALLY new to soldering, electronics, tx, rx, get the RTF

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
ARF-ARF! And the 9X (although the cheap 6ch would probably last you a few planes). And, a nice charger would probably be good. I just have a basic and it works OK, but I'm probably going to get the accucel 6 soon.

earthsciteach

Going with the 9x at some point is not a bad idea. But, it may be a bit daunting to launch into RC while trying to figure out how to fly and program a TX that has VERY poor documentation.

If you are teaching yourself how to fly (simulator time is much overrated. Don't think it will help you much in real conditions), then go with the Hobbyzone Super Cub. Once you get bored with the Super Cub, you can upgrade it to your heart's content. There is no better airplane, IMHO, to teach yourself how to fly.

If you already are comfortable flying a 3 or 4 channel airplane, you are definitely ready for a 9x. There are plenty of resources on youtube to help you with the programming. If you want to step into building/modifying airplanes, the Bixler/Sky Surfer/Wild Hawk are all great platforms! You can buy a Wild Hawk kit (foamy parts only) for $39.99 from nitroplanes. Add about $80 worth of electronics (35 amp esc, 450 motor, 6x3 prop)+ a Turnigy 9x and you will have an airplane that is capable of serious "ups" and will glide slowly and gracefully. Don't expect a snappy roll rate, but it can be a platform for video and fpv. I'm a fan!

Michael Bustin

bustinmi
Hi Everyone!

Ive just decided to get into rc planes (solely based on the awesomeness of the FliteTest show and the enthusiasm of the cast and crew) and have ordered the Bixler after weighing up all of the pros and cons of models with the same size, required initial skill level and flight characteristics but... I have ordered everything except the Tx/Rx system and wanted to know people's opinions about different systems. I want to get something that has 5+ channels so I have the option of expanding to other planes/helis and also wanting a few channels spare for led lighting or fpv equip in the future.

Any suggestions???

(Plus I live in Australia so the HobbyKing warehouse here doesn't usually stock Tx/Rx so I'd have to ship from USA)

Thanks in advance!

bustinmi

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
Hi Everyone!

Ive just decided to get into rc planes (solely based on the awesomeness of the FliteTest show and the enthusiasm of the cast and crew) and have ordered the Bixler after weighing up all of the pros and cons of models with the same size, required initial skill level and flight characteristics but... I have ordered everything except the Tx/Rx system and wanted to know people's opinions about different systems. I want to get something that has 5+ channels so I have the option of expanding to other planes/helis and also wanting a few channels spare for led lighting or fpv equip in the future.

Any suggestions???

(Plus I live in Australia so the HobbyKing warehouse here doesn't usually stock Tx/Rx so I'd have to ship from USA)

Thanks in advance!

bustinmi
I'd say the spektrum DX6i as its got most of the programming options you will ever need, is 6 channel and you can pick them up on ebay for not too much :) I'd also suggest you have an experienced flier with you or it will end it tears:eek:

RCD

I think ARF is the best because they teach you how to build, and also, you'll know every suare inch of the plane in case something goes wrong.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hi Everyone!
Ive just decided to get into rc planes (solely based on the awesomeness of the FliteTest show and the enthusiasm of the cast and crew) and have ordered the Bixler after weighing up all of the pros and cons of models with the same size, required initial skill level and flight characteristics but... I have ordered everything except the Tx/Rx system and wanted to know people's opinions about different systems. I want to get something that has 5+ channels so I have the option of expanding to other planes/helis and also wanting a few channels spare for led lighting or fpv equip in the future. bustinmi

Please continue this discussion here:

http://flitetest.com/forum/showthread.php?924-What-are-my-Tx-Rx-choices