Performance Envelope

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That's a much cooler plane than I thought. The STI is cool too, just wish you could use it on Android tablets and phones. I love the telemetry on my DX8. I want to put a pito tube on my nitro cub to see how slow I can fly it bush style

John Campbell

Great video and as already stated.. Would love to see Android Support.

One problem that I detected Josh mentioned flying into or with the wind to check the airspeed. Specializing in Pitot Static systems. It does not matter if he is going with or against the wind (headwind/tailwind) the airspeed is going to be about the same because it is referencing the wind. On thing that I would like to have seen is what the max speed is on the ground, and the max speed at 300 feet. Air is thiner and you can go faster the higher you go with less friction. Would have like to have seen if 300' would have made any difference at all.

Note to Horizon: I would already have one if it supported Android and I think a lot of other people would feel the same way.

Last edited:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I also caught that airspeed reference lol. That's the downside to pitot tubes for rc.

I too would have already bought the system if it worked with android, but I do see why it's difficult. Which android are you going to make it for? Not all androids use the same connection. You could plug a similar unit into a samsung but not a motorola.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I also caught that airspeed reference lol. That's the downside to pitot tubes for rc.

I too would have already bought the system if it worked with android, but I do see why it's difficult. Which android are you going to make it for? Not all androids use the same connection. You could plug a similar unit into a samsung but not a motorola.
Could just use bluetooth

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That would be cool. Even a micro usb or something that's more universal. I just hate that apple gets all the cool stuff made for them. I would have bought an iphone a long time ago except that AT&T sucks here. Everything being proprietary really kills it for me. I'm not going to buy an apple product just to get stuff like this.

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
I know what I'm asking Santa for this Christmas. If I can wait that long.

It might be tough explaining to the mrs why I need to take the iPad to the flying field though

John Campbell

That would be cool. Even a micro usb or something that's more universal. I just hate that apple gets all the cool stuff made for them. I would have bought an iphone a long time ago except that AT&T sucks here. Everything being proprietary really kills it for me. I'm not going to buy an apple product just to get stuff like this.

I very much like the USB Idea, but it really needs to be regular USB Size, otherwise they are going to have to get into the cable making industry and stuck in a similar situation. Galaxy Tab, Asus, and EVO all use different USB Connections and would require a different cable. If you could use the already supplied cable, then you are good to go.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
Everything being proprietary really kills it for me. I'm not going to buy an apple product just to get stuff like this.

I have to agree. I would have bought all apple stuff if it was as open as Android. But they're too anti-competitive for me. Down the field, I can transfer files between every phone there apart from the one guy with an apple phone, which can only bluetooth to other apple devices.. lol

Problem with Blue Tooth is that it operates on the freq band as DSM2. Will offer interference even between a receiver and the tablet or phone. But they could make a USB Adapter Cable.

The point of 2.4 is that you can have hundreds of devices with out any interference, I don't think bluetooth would be a problem. Although a device with a normal USB connector could connect to any phone through its normal USB computer cable

John Campbell

The point of 2.4 is that you can have hundreds of devices with out any interference, I don't think bluetooth would be a problem. Although a device with a normal USB connector could connect to any phone through its normal USB computer cable

I have talked to friends using blue tooth with either mine or other people having their transmitter on. You can barely hold an intelligible conversation. Turn off the transmitter and all is good.

sandblaster

Such as easy solution: come to the light side and enjoy the systems that work great. grin. Love the iPad, so sharp and so clear.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
LMAO, Exactly. What exactly is the Ipad 3 besides a new screen anyway? 800 for that?
No thank you.

sandblaster

You can get a iPod for less the $200 and an iPad for close to that. Look at the cost of the download link to plug into the iPod/iPad, not cheap. Think I do not have enough curiosity to justify the purchase of that when the DX8 can receive the same information. But then look on the RC car side and how much effort is spent to see who can go the fastest. This may start the same thing on the plane side, who can fly the fastest and highest. Anyone for an RC plane breaking the sound barrier?

Could be long wait for the app to hit other makes. The iPad has lots more use then for one plane app. Funny. Am amazed just how much I use and enjoy the iPad. Doubt I use it for the telemetry link. Find my evenings are now spent with the TV off and exploring on the iPad. Much relaxing fun. Started out with the iPod, then the iPhone and now the iPad. So nice when the electronics works for me and me not for them.

sandblaster

Iwork so the kids have Ipods, they want an Ipad, now if the wife would use the Iron.

:rolleyes:

Talk about changing times, as a kid I used the Iron a lot, now.....many homes probably don't even have one. My girls grew up without using it as I did. Like the new materials, I hated using the Iron

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I have talked to friends using blue tooth with either mine or other people having their transmitter on. You can barely hold an intelligible conversation. Turn off the transmitter and all is good.

I think I can explain that. Data transmission frequencies for cellphones, WiFi, laptops, Bluetooth, etc use something called CSMA/CD which means it uses collision detection - if data collides, the senders emit a jamming signal and they both stop sending. Then each one starts sending separately to avoid collisions... However Tx systems and FPV systems don't send the data as packets, they send it as a continuous stream - ignoring (and interferring) other transmissions.