Solved Petrol Planes - Legalities

OlliePackman

Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be for me to own and fly a petrol plane being only 14 and what other laws are there on petrol powered RC's?

FDS

Elite member
@OlliePackman As of November 5th you won’t be allowed to fly any plane or drone over 250g without being registered with the stupid govt scheme and accompanied by a registered adult. They have to be responsible for you.
I wouldnt advise a gas plane for a beginner. You need more skill and space to safety fly them.

OlliePackman

@OlliePackman As of November 5th you won’t be allowed to fly any plane or drone over 250g without being registered with the stupid govt scheme and accompanied by a registered adult. They have to be responsible for you.
I wouldnt advise a gas plane for a beginner. You need more skill and space to safety fly them.
I was just wandering anyway, it would be unlikely that I actually get one. The new law is ridiculous, you cannot fly an RC plane without adult accompnyment yet you can, and I have, fly a full sized glider on your own at the age of 14.

Jackson T

Elite member
I was just wandering anyway, it would be unlikely that I actually get one. The new law is ridiculous, you cannot fly an RC plane without adult accompnyment yet you can, and I have, fly a full sized glider on your own at the age of 14.
I agree, they are bringing those stupid laws into Australia as well. You've soloed a glider? AWESOME!!! I'm saving up for a gliding camp in April next year, I'm super excited! Do you by any chance happen to be the Wolds Glider Pilot from YouTube?

OlliePackman

I agree, they are bringing those stupid laws into Australia as well. You've soloed a glider? AWESOME!!! I'm saving up for a gliding camp in April next year, I'm super excited! Do you by any chance happen to be the Wolds Glider Pilot from YouTube?
Gliding is an awesome sport, you will love it. Australia will be one of the best places to fly. I did my first solo on my 14th birthday (the first chance I had to go solo) but unfortunately I could not get any coverage for youtube as you are not allowed gopros at my club. Still can't fly an RC unattended though..

OliverW

Legendary member
Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be for me to own and fly a petrol plane being only 14 and what other laws are there on petrol powered RC's?
I am 13 and I own a big gasser. There is no law against it you just have to register it with the AMA here in the US.
20190831_193944.jpg

FDS

Elite member
There unfortunately is a law against it in the UK. Good on you for flying an awesome plane, shame they won’t be open to young people in this country without a registered and licensed adult to take responsibility for it.
@OlliePackman you should look at where your local BMFA club is, they can help a lot with learning.

OlliePackman

There unfortunately is a law against it in the UK. Good on you for flying an awesome plane, shame they won’t be open to young people in this country without a registered and licensed adult to take responsibility for it.
@OlliePackman you should look at where your local BMFA club is, they can help a lot with learning.
Funnily enough, I have just organised to meet with secretary of my local club tomorrow.