Phoenix 1600 build

mayan

Legendary member
Tonight I tidied up the Pheonix for the brother in law (sadly, he is coming over tomorrow to collect it) - with the 3cell 2200mAh battery strapped in it balances nicely on the CG marks - @daxian that includes the ballast you mentioned under the tray! I'll be sad to see it go off the wall, so I better get my Pheonix (copy) finished A-SAP!

View attachment 130879
Beautiful build, sure as hell sad for you that you have to give it back.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Tonight I tidied up the Pheonix for the brother in law (sadly, he is coming over tomorrow to collect it) - with the 3cell 2200mAh battery strapped in it balances nicely on the CG marks - @daxian that includes the ballast you mentioned under the tray! I'll be sad to see it go off the wall, so I better get my Pheonix (copy) finished A-SAP!

View attachment 130879
Coincidence? I finished assembling a Phoenix 1600 for a new club member and delivered it on Wednesday. Today I maidened it and commenced to teach him to fly on buddy Box!

2 flights/batteries in and he is just starting to get the idea!

Have fun!

bracesport

Legendary member
so, sadly the Pheonix is gone!

My brother in law has FS (TGY) i6 and I found that the basic setup for glider/plane has ch6 preset for flaps on the Vario-B knob - who would have thought! Hopefully, we can get together and fly next week - like me he is a nube flier so we can fly and probably crash together!

On the bright side, he gave me a 3 axis gyro which I will play with tomorrow!

bracesport

Legendary member
News in today - Uncle Kri (the brother in law) took the Pheonix out on his own ----------- seems the wing is smashed and some internals are damaged! I have been called in for the crash repairs, so will make some pictures when I get my hands on her! o_O

mayan

Legendary member
News in today - Uncle Kri (the brother in law) took the Pheonix out on his own ----------- seems the wing is smashed and some internals are damaged! I have been called in for the crash repairs, so will make some pictures when I get my hands on her! o_O
That must hurt :(.

bracesport

Legendary member
So I got the Pheonix back today for a rebuild - actually the damage is not so bad!

I think uncle Kri must have brought one side of the wing into ground rotating it on its wing mounts, and then on a second go nosed it into the ground and smashed all the internals on impact - tail is loose so its time to glue that in place!

the main wing is not joined at the centre (unlike my Bixler wing) so I think I will glue that too!

all looks repairable!

IMG_6478.JPG
IMG_6479.JPG
IMG_6480.jpg

Wildthing

Legendary member
I made the first part to repair the Pheonix - the battery tray was good and truly smashed, so I 3D printed a new one and so far so good it fitted like as glove - gotta love the 3D printer!

I love having my printer, silly little things just like that tray become easy to build.

bracesport

Legendary member
All finished - I decided to glue the two wing halves and the top centre wing mount to the wing in the hope it will make the assembly more robust at the fixing points - actually apart from the battery mount the damages was quite easily rectified!

9890282C-CB8D-42A5-AB65-D270B47ECA2A.jpeg

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
sending it home tomorrow - uncle Kri and I will hopefully go out on Sunday for a quick flight together - fingers crossed!