Phoenix area?!

Jakehart184

Anybody in here in Phoenix, or the valley that would want to meet up and fly this up coming weekend? Say Saturday the 5th of may? I go to a local park. Pretty empty and big, and the city allows model flying.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Is it Thude Park that you fly at?

I myself live in San Diego, CA, but my in laws live in the apartment homes right on the other side of Rte. 101, and they've already said if we come out to visit this fall that I need to bring my quad and a plane - my niece is taking an interest in aerospace engineering and airplane design, and my brother in law is looking for a new hobby - FT planes are pretty darned cheap to get into, and I can pack a Versa Wing and a Bushwacker into the back of a Fiat or Mini easily for a 6 hour drive. :)

I'm curious as to how it is for flying out there, and how it'd be if I came out to fly for a day while visiting family...

Jakehart184

Is it Thude Park that you fly at?

I myself live in San Diego, CA, but my in laws live in the apartment homes right on the other side of Rte. 101, and they've already said if we come out to visit this fall that I need to bring my quad and a plane - my niece is taking an interest in aerospace engineering and airplane design, and my brother in law is looking for a new hobby - FT planes are pretty darned cheap to get into, and I can pack a Versa Wing and a Bushwacker into the back of a Fiat or Mini easily for a 6 hour drive. :)

I'm curious as to how it is for flying out there, and how it'd be if I came out to fly for a day while visiting family...
Hey what’s going on, sorry for late reply. Busy couple day. But I fly at two parks mainly. Grover’s Park, and coyote basin park. I’ve only ever flown in Phoenix, but it seems to me there’s a big scene for model aircraft. I’m newer to the hobby (about 5 months in) and love it so far. But the parks out here are mostly big bowls it seems like, and trees aren’t in the way. Big open spaces.. The two I go to are both right off of the 101 on the north side of Phoenix. Also even for your niece it may be a great hobby to get into. I think there’s a lot to be learned from the model flying and how the planes are designed that could carry over to the real engineering aspects. If you come out here you’ll have to comment back on this thread and we can plan a meet up!!

Jakehart184

Hey what’s going on, sorry for late reply. Busy couple day. But I fly at two parks mainly. Grover’s Park, and coyote basin park. I’ve only ever flown in Phoenix, but it seems to me there’s a big scene for model aircraft. I’m newer to the hobby (about 5 months in) and love it so far. But the parks out here are mostly big bowls it seems like, and trees aren’t in the way. Big open spaces.. The two I go to are both right off of the 101 on the north side of Phoenix. Also even for your niece it may be a great hobby to get into. I think there’s a lot to be learned from the model flying and how the planes are designed that could carry over to the real engineering aspects. If you come out here you’ll have to comment back on this thread and we can plan a meet up!!
And a great hobby for your brother in law. For a good trainer plane I paid 200 bucks for at the local hobby shop and it taught me a lot. I’ve moved on from the trainer, and would like to get into a kit gas build eventually. I think no matter who you are you’ll love flying you know. There’s a lot of guys with quads also!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Good to know about the quads...I'm looking to take my in laws on a "ride along" when I'm out there. :)

As for a trainer, I'd get them set up on something like an Apprentice S15, most likely; it's what we use at our club out here in San Diego for training people, as it's so forgiving and easy to fly.

thinking about the quads, though, I'm kinda surprised. AZ seems like a state that would say, "I don't like them things spyin' on me!" and pull out a gun to shoot them down, but maybe people are just rational about it? :) I know the people out here at my field have a hard time with them, and I'm SLOWLY bringing them around...