Solved Phoenix RC and FT models

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It's taken me all afternoon to get those two together. I'm hoping to save the next pilot a bit of headache.

First though, if you're a new pilot? Spend the $14 and get the sim. This is what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HL7QPGR/?tag=lstir-20

$14 dollars and free shipping from a U.S. warehouse. It is absolutely amazing how much I suck at flying RC aircraft. I learned that with the sim today. No, it's not a perfect, real world experience, but I have no doubt that this thing is going to save me a TON of hassle and heartbreak.

Plus it's a whole lot of fun. When I got tired of crashing my TT, I crashed a half-dozen other aircraft. My son and I spent the evening passing my trans back and forth. The turbine powered A-10 was a blast!

If you get the one I got, or similar, it's version 5.0.b and it won't support the new models. When the program starts you'll get a pop-up saying there is a new launcher available. I have been unable to get that to download. Click on "No" and you get another pop-up saying there is a new version of the program available. Click on "Yes" and let it it's do it's thing. You now have version 5.5.l which supports the new models.

If you are using the models from the first page of this thread:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/flitetest-in-phoenix-rc-model-index.27096/

You need to open File Explorer and navigate to where the instructions say to. I had to create the last two folders, as they simply weren't there. Download the zip file to somewhere easy for you, and copy the contents into the final folder. When you next launch Phoenix, the new plane is under "Airplanes" "Electric" in the Change Plane dialogue. It will be a green font and easy to pick out.

If you are using the later models from rickp, they are packaged differently. When you first start Phoenix, cancel through the new launcher pop-up. On the right hand side of the window you'll see a button that says "Advanced." Click on it and in the drop-down you'll see "Install an Update." Click on that, navigate to where you put the .pkg file, and select it.

That plane will also show under "Airplanes" and then "Electric" (assuming the plane is electric. I haven't tried the others, yet) also in a green font. Once you've got all that you not only have access to the FT foamies that JohnRambozo put so much work into, you've also got access to what's in this link from rickp:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2382571-User-Built-Models-for-PhoenixRC&perpage=20

I haven't counted, but there must be 200 models there! Wow! If you have questions, post them here and I'll try to help. Keep in mind I'm usually only on the forum late at night East Coast U.S. time. Also, I'll be here a lot less for a little while. I've got skills to master and a sim to help me do it. :)

The Journey Continues.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Edit, if you download the whole pack from JohnRambozo you don't even need to drop the planes in individually. Just unzip and drop the folders into the "Airplane" folder. They're all there. Awesome!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Whoely Cow. Intentionally misspelled. It could have been Hoooly Shoot, or any variation thereof. I took my own advice and downloaded the entire pack.

The FT Mini Sparrow is too much of a handful. Every flight lasted like 30 seconds.

The FT Mini DR1 Triplane? What an awesome experience! When I screw up, I can just roll or loop and it just keeps on going. Awesome! I still eventually crash it, but that's what the sim is for!

The Storch? What a great flyer! It's the first plane I've actually been able to land in the sim.

Oh, the FT Sportster! I DO NOT have the skill to handle that one, but it is so awesome! I want to build one just to put it up until I've got the guts to put electronics into it.

In Real Life I'm still going on my maiden, first flight ever with the Tiny Trainer in a disused baseball field. After a whole lot of sim time. Wish me luck. In the meantime, I've run out of expletives that are not considered vulgar, to explain how much fun I'm having trying out all the different FT planes in a sim.

Thank you everyone. Everytime I read a post on this forum, I get better educated. Whether I'm the Educator or the Educated, I get better. Thank you. :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I've been having fun with the FT BRAVO in the Phoenix simulator. In it i can get it into a very high alpha attitude and then on to a full hover. Now I want to build one in real life and see if the simulator is fooling me :)
Shoot. I don't have the FT Bravo. I've flown so many things in the sim. I've fallen in love the DR1. That's my next build.

Just build what you want to fly! You know you'll get the support here to get it up in the air and help you crash it. Just start the build with a thread with pics and video. Seriously. Just start building the thing! (y)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Wow. The Old Fogey is a seriously docile platform. I did figure eights, then I cut throttle way, way up in the air. Then just glided down to a pretty much perfect landing. Very Nice. If I didn't already have two other plane's I'd rather build, that one would be first!

However, I've got to go to bed in like no time. Work and all. One more flight with the DR1...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
My gosh! The DR1! In the sim, I maxed throttle vertical up to a good height. Cut throttle, pulled an Immelman, and then rather than push the throttle back on, I glided down to a glorious near-landing.

That DR1 is my next plane. I've still got to fly in Real Life. Hence the Tiny Trainer and Mini Scout. When they are done, though... The DR1.

It's a little bit away, but if you care, build thread to follow. It's 4:30 A.M. here. I've seriously got to go to bed. I'm such a kid. 'Night all!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member

d8veh

Elite member
I'm really pleased you got it all working. These things are never as easy as they should be.

If the Sportster that you tried is the same as mine, it's nothing like the actual plane. The G- spot is about 3" back from where it should be and the propeller spins to 19,000 rpm instead of a more realistic 10,000. , so it flys like a 3D plane. You can adjust those parameters in the settings under the "model" tab.

Flying in Phoenix is very similar to flying a real model on a calm day. Phoenix has wind, but it's very unrealistic, so I don’t use it. All the planes are built straight and true, which is probably the biggest difference from a real model. Also, I don’t know whether there's something wrong with my setup, but it doesn't seem to respond to trims like a real model does. They seem to be mainly ineffective.

rickp

Nice thread buzzbomb! It should be very useful to new users.

The great thing about simulators is that they can help you get over the two biggest RC hurdles - orientation and over-control.
And I'm a great example of that - my first Champ flight lasted all of 15 seconds due to orientation issues.
And the next few weren't that much better. :(

But after a couple of hours on Phoenix I'd internalized orientation and was flying reasonably well.
Still crashed from time to time, but that was because trees kept jumping in my way, rather than orientation issues! :)

Cheers, rick

Brett_N

Spend a day or two with the FT3D model in PHX and really learn to fly it smooth. That is perhaps the WORST trainer plane out there, but, it's a sim, so train with it. Of anything, it will teach you orientation and throttle management.

You will crash. A lot. The spacebar will get worn out, but trust me.

Then go back to ANYTHING else.

I'll give you 2 days to come back with your impression, and how much improvement you make in your flying abilities.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I've been having fun with the FT BRAVO in the Phoenix simulator. In it i can get it into a very high alpha attitude and then on to a full hover. Now I want to build one in real life and see if the simulator is fooling me :)

um, yes it is pulling your leg.

bravo is very fast, very agile, and very easy to loose orientation on, but it will not go into a high alpha hover. it doesn't have a rudder. if that is what you want, then do the min-vector and add in the optional rudder. it is stupid fun and can basically land vertically.

laters,

me :cool:

PoorManRC

Master member
Buddy, this is an excellent Thread!!!
I'm using a Free Sim, from the App Store. It's okay.... NOTHING like Phoenix, but it's at least building muscle memory on the Sticks.

I think it's fooling you with the DR 1.... @kilroy07 had told me that that one was a HANDFUL!
The Old Fogey apparently floats beautifully.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'm really pleased you got it all working. These things are never as easy as they should be.

If the Sportster that you tried is the same as mine, it's nothing like the actual plane. The G- spot is about 3" back from where it should be and the propeller spins to 19,000 rpm instead of a more realistic 10,000. , so it flys like a 3D plane. You can adjust those parameters in the settings under the "model" tab.

Flying in Phoenix is very similar to flying a real model on a calm day. Phoenix has wind, but it's very unrealistic, so I don’t use it. All the planes are built straight and true, which is probably the biggest difference from a real model. Also, I don’t know whether there's something wrong with my setup, but it doesn't seem to respond to trims like a real model does. They seem to be mainly ineffective.
I'm not to the point where I'm trimming anything yet. It's a sim, so all the models are perfect.

If can I make a Sportster fly like it does in the sim? That is a seriously stupid, fun plane. A project for another day, perhaps. Bigger motor and bats. Work it so the CG is farther back. Wow. Build thread coming, one day. So much to look forward to.

The Journey Continues.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Buddy, this is an excellent Thread!!!
I'm using a Free Sim, from the App Store. It's okay.... NOTHING like Phoenix, but it's at least building muscle memory on the Sticks.

I think it's fooling you with the DR 1.... @kilroy07 had told me that that one was a HANDFUL!
The Old Fogey apparently floats beautifully.
Did you have the same problems I did getting the trans to work with the sim? For me, that was a bear. If you've got a free sim from the AP store, that you can use on a PC with a trans, you should share the link. That's good stuff.

PoorManRC

Master member
Did you have the same problems I did getting the trans to work with the sim? For me, that was a bear. If you've got a free sim from the AP store, that you can use on a PC with a trans, you should share the link. That's good stuff.

It's not that good of stuff....... Just free.
The Flight Characteristics are abysmally unrealistic!! :mad: Planes turn into a dot soon after Takeoff. And they CANNOT Land!! I've done everything I know about a near perfect, slightly flared Glide Slope...
When it gets to roughly 5 feet, it just CRASHES.

I have no idea if it works on PC. I haven't had a working PC in over 3 years. :cry::( Just m old Android Tablet....
Like I said, it's helping with muscle memory, but that's about it!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Holy cow, that this is squirley!
It's not that good of stuff....... Just free.
The Flight Characteristics are abysmally unrealistic!! :mad: Planes turn into a dot soon after Takeoff. And they CANNOT Land!! I've done everything I know about a near perfect, slightly flared Glide Slope...
When it gets to roughly 5 feet, it just CRASHES.

I have no idea if it works on PC. I haven't had a working PC in over 3 years. :cry::( Just m old Android Tablet....
Like I said, it's helping with muscle memory, but that's about it!
Well, you've got a free flight sim, from the App store that works on an Android tablet and helps with your muscle memory on a trans. Even if it's not perfect, it's something worth sharing.

We're family, we're community, maybe we can help you figure it out and help the next guy.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ooohh, got it! Gonna install and fly it right now. Darn you, I'm supposed to be trying to go to bed, not get excited about a new plane!:D
THAT is crazy. I can hover (briefly.) I can fly like stupidly fast, and the darn thing will almost coast along at low throttle. I can't control it, though. No doubt I could adjust the throws in either the trans or the sim (don't know which, yet.) but it is WAY beyond my skill level. It is just SO responsive to every minor input.

It's a beast! A seriously cool-ass beast, but a beast, nonetheless! Good luck with that one. I am truly looking forward to the build and fly video of that. :)