Solved Phoenix RC and FT models

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
THAT is crazy. I can hover (briefly.) I can fly like stupidly fast, and the darn thing will almost coast along at low throttle. I can't control it, though. No doubt I could adjust the throws in either the trans or the sim (don't know which, yet.) but it is WAY beyond my skill level. It is just SO responsive to every minor input.

It's a beast! A seriously cool-ass beast, but a beast, nonetheless! Good luck with that one. I am truly looking forward to the build and fly video of that. :)
I added 50% expo to the flight controls which tames it. It's true you can't land the models without undercarriages, every time a crash even with the most gentle of touchdowns.
Something fun to build for the spring....currently I'm sticking to indoor quads with Baileys and G&T's :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I added 50% expo to the flight controls which tames it. It's true you can't land the models without undercarriages, every time a crash even with the most gentle of touchdowns.
Something fun to build for the spring....currently I'm sticking to indoor quads with Baileys and G&T's :)
In Phoenix every belly landing is crash. Since you can't take off, the developers figured it just wasn't that big of a deal.

"currently I'm sticking to indoor quads with Baileys and G&T's "
I've never tried that combination, though it sounds good to me! :D

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Spend a day or two with the FT3D model in PHX and really learn to fly it smooth. That is perhaps the WORST trainer plane out there, but, it's a sim, so train with it. Of anything, it will teach you orientation and throttle management.

You will crash. A lot. The spacebar will get worn out, but trust me.

Then go back to ANYTHING else.

I'll give you 2 days to come back with your impression, and how much improvement you make in your flying abilities.
I would not have even touched that model. I can't promise to give you two days. I'm so brain-dead after work I couldn't fly for more than like ten minutes. I'll take it for a spin, though.

After that? I've got another six-straight days of closing at work. Don't start the clock. I'll spend some time with it, when I'm able. I recognize the logic. Can't hurt anything in a sim, and train harder than real life. I like it! :love:

PoorManRC

Master member
Well, you've got a free flight sim, from the App store that works on an Android tablet and helps with your muscle memory on a trans. Even if it's not perfect, it's something worth sharing.

We're family, we're community, maybe we can help you figure it out and help the next guy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rowlhouse.picasim

Of COURSE I'm willing to share! I'm happy to do anything I can.....
I just figured out my problem. When I went back to get the Link, it said it was "Not optimized for My Device".

I'm Obsolete!!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Spend a day or two with the FT3D model in PHX and really learn to fly it smooth. That is perhaps the WORST trainer plane out there, but, it's a sim, so train with it. Of anything, it will teach you orientation and throttle management.

You will crash. A lot. The spacebar will get worn out, but trust me.

Then go back to ANYTHING else.

I'll give you 2 days to come back with your impression, and how much improvement you make in your flying abilities.
Hah. Yeah, right. I've already posted that it's not going to happen in two days. I came back to this post to update. Here is my impression of me flying that plane: o_O Yep, that's pretty much it.

It also was not in the pack, so I went and got it. Every flight, like 15 seconds. It didn't matter where my throttle was at. It was either too low or too high. Everything on that plane seems to be about throttle control. The wing surfaces are just there to direct where the thrust is going. But it doesn't have any wing surface, just large control surfaces, so it's a constant combat between the two sticks.

I absolutely see your point. I'll be spending some frustrating time with that little bast... thing. It is definitely going to teach me to be light on the sticks. Thank you, (y)

What an amazingly different fly from the TT. In Real Life, I couldn't keep the 3D in air for more than seconds. Once I can reasonably fly it in a sim, it's going to help me keep my TT in the air maybe a little longer when I maiden. Thanks again. :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Seriously, is no one else flying every single FT plane they can in this thing? I've got winter storm named whatever by people who don't officially name storms, raging outside, I'm brain dead from work, and I'm flying FT foamies.

The Storch? Easy on the sticks, get it right and it's pretty docile. Get it wrong and it's a lawn dart. I didn't like that one. Not for me, at least not yet. *Edit* I forgot I flew that one at the beginning and it was the first I was able to land. I can only guess that is due to the first flight being on a day off and the second, after work. Good day, bad day. Interesting.

The Mini Viggen! That's one of my "want to" builds. I've learned I'm going to keep it in that category for the time being. I could find no throttle-rate where I could successfully control it. I made a few good turns, but nearly every input seemed to put it into a roll or loop.

The SE5. Fun. In my opinion inferior to the other multi-wings. It does all the same stuff, just not as well.

The SeaOtter. That's a tough one. When I got it right, It really flew well. It was just.. boring. I got it to loop I got it to roll. It's not fast but not really slow either. It just didn't seem to have any energy. It just wasn't fun.

So far, my fav has to be the Mini DR1.

rickp has agreed to finish off the FT list of planes. I've got to get him a list of them, which I'll do on the 11th, and he'll finish in his own time. I've asked for the Mighty Mini Scout to be next, even without the list, because I just want to fly it. I was going to say even in the sim, but I rethought it and I'm going to say especially in the sim. Then I'll take it out.

The Journey Continues.

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
You're gonna be an expert before you go outside!!! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, in the real World, we couldn't get ENOUGH Sim Time to prepare us for everything a High Performance Jet would throw at us!
I'm doing it too, though not with the intensity that you are.
I should though....

Although my Sim is inferior free crap, compared to the Phoenix, I'm at least Learning how not to make my Thumbs CRASH a Plane!! :p Seems like you're getting MUCH more out of it. Kudos my Friend!

WrongWayTurner

Okay, Soooooooo.....Ive have Phoenix 5.5 installed and working...buuttttt Am trying desperately to get FT models loaded into Phoenix 5.5 and it is not working for me. Any new info reguarding this?