Solved Phoenix simulator - Getting started (I have questions)

Pony1023

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I'm intrigued by the ability to fly my FT foam board planes in Phoenix RC. It would appear I'm coming into this a bit late (my timing is always off). I’ve tried to read almost every thread tied to the FliteTest Forums. To be as well educated as possible. Yet I’m not connecting all the dots to answer the questions feel are unanswered at this point.

I’ve also found that some of the FT foamies are in Real Flight 7.5 and later. However again, as my luck runs, not the ones I own or am interested in at this time.

I have a Spektrum DX6e. However if I'm following the bouncing ball correctly, the WS1000 will work for my radio for simulators, but is not compatible with the Phoenix simulator. I did see where the USB dongle for the 22 in 1, can be wired up to a receiver (with the intent to make it wireless). As much as I'm intrigued by the ingenuity tied to this solution, I was hoping for something cleaner solution, however I’m not forgetting this as a possible solution. Now I’ve run across a PPM version for wireless (what above did themselves via a mod) but haven’t researched yet if I own, or can get a PPM receiver for my DX6i.

So I kept looking for information about Spektrum radios, used with the phoenix software not only here but on the web. I found where the DX6i was sold with the Phoenix software and cables, and clearly I have sources to purchase a new or used DX6i. However I have only found one complete used package of this nature, for $450.00. Clearly I don't believe it's worth that much (or at least that was too much to me as that’s more than my radio with receiver). On top of this, I'm confused (being I'm new and playing catch-up), to clearly understand if the 22 in 1 is compatible with Spektrum radios, without being a packaged set. (aka: the 22 in 1 on banggood.com and other sources, never once talk about Spektrum being a supported radio. I know it isn’t with my Radio, but to keep this similar, I was willing to buy the 22 in 1, and a used DX6i (that has the training port).

My main goals (I believe) at this point are getting a version of Phoenix running, and getting a version of Real Flight 8 running.

So my questions are the following:
1. Is it of value to fly the actual model in a flight simulator, or is the value learning throttle control and the sticks?

2. I'm pretty sure "Real Flight" is a good sim, and the Spektrum WS1000 will work with this. Phoenix is also intriguing to me because of the FT's being able to be loaded into it. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to have both or shouldn’t be trying to limit myself to Phoenix to fly the FT’s? And should just focus on getting the one that will work with the radio I already have?

3. If Phoenix is a route to go to fly the FT’s (being I see people say the models are different in the sim, and I’m assuming in the air), and using my Radio is not an option with the 22 in 1, Can I use a DX6i radio without a problem, or is there a special cable needed that doesn't come with the 22 in 1. (aka: Is there a reason, none of the listings for the 22 to 1, don’t list Spektrum as a supported radio?)

4. Is there a radio that would be recommended (that's inexpensive) that is good to use with the 22 in 1, assuming that Spektrum radios can't be used with Phoenix, without buying the hard to find (or expensive) used package of Phoenix with the DX6i? In that this would be the radio to buy, for the purpose of using this for almost nothing by the sims.

5. Am I making this harder than it needs to be, and should just go and get Real Flight, and the WS1000, and be done and flying?

Liam B

1. Yes and no. You will become used to what it looks like, but flight feel will depend on build and conditions. It's never 100% right, but the designers do a great job trying.

2. Try both if possible. It's nice to have variety.

3. Cables are usually pretty readily available for the DX6i. Not sure if the 22/1 will work. Be aware of low quality cables, as they sometimes produce hecka latency.

4. FrSky all day. Look for a used QX7 locally or even an X9D or similar.

5. I always over think things, but when your spending money on a long-term tool, it's good to do your research. Go with your gut. If your wallet allows, get both. Sims are hecka fun!

Pony1023

OutaTime, Thanks for the feedback!
You don't know how much it helps.

Another question came to mind in the last 24 hours. I started finding posts implying the servers to fly together in Phoenix are down. That in itself doesn't bother me, I'm sure it might some day.

My question is tied to the servers however, if they are down, can Phoenix 5.5 be updated today? If not, do we as a community have access to the files to update the software? Basically being I'm behind, I'm looking to know if anyone knows the answer to this.

Again, maybe I'm missing something, but if I don't have the 7.5 version today, and it can't be updated tomorrow, I won't even be able to get the FT models into Phoenix, and maybe Phoenix becomes a mute point. Or am I way of base?

My understanding is that the Phoenix sim is no longer supported or being worked on. RealFlight 8 works well. I wouldn't get too caught up on exactly which planes you're flying in the sim. RF has enough of a selection to get a feel for almost any type of aircraft.

OutaTime, Thanks for the feedback!
You don't know how much it helps.

Another question came to mind in the last 24 hours. I started finding posts implying the servers to fly together in Phoenix are down. That in itself doesn't bother me, I'm sure it might some day.

My question is tied to the servers however, if they are down, can Phoenix 5.5 be updated today? If not, do we as a community have access to the files to update the software? Basically being I'm behind, I'm looking to know if anyone knows the answer to this.

Again, maybe I'm missing something, but if I don't have the 7.5 version today, and it can't be updated tomorrow, I won't even be able to get the FT models into Phoenix, and maybe Phoenix becomes a mute point. Or am I way of base?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Here's the advice I will give you:

A sim is a sim is a sim. Realflight 6/7/8, Phoenix RC simulator, AeroFly RC 7/8, Liftoff, DRL, Velocidrone, etc. - they all have the same thing in common; they allow you to get a feel of how to fly a plane. Now, some planes, they give you a feel for how they might realistically fly, but there are ALWAYS differences. For example, you don't have to trim out a simulator, but in real life? You most likely will. :)

Now, with respect to using Phoenix RC, it is dead. You can still run it, but the company is no longer supporting it; from my understanding, they closed their doors and went under. :( Any updates, use of their servers to do multiplayer, etc., are not going to happen - so it might be beneficial to look at another sim. Being that you have a DX6e (or is it DX6i? Doesn't matter too much, as long as it's got DSM2/DSMX capability), you might want to pick up RealFlight 8 Horizon Hobby edition and the Spektrum wireless dongle, which, per the RealFlight website, states that it is compatible with the dongle; that way, you can use the same transmitter that you'll be flying your other planes with. Using a real transmitter gives you more accurate stick feel, trust me on that one. :)

There are some other options, if you are looking at Fixed Wing flight...I have AeroFly RC 7, which initially was a purchase with a cheap Ikarus USB controller that looks like a transmitter. It works, but it's a very cheap feel - the "transmitter" is pretty hollow, with no weight to it, and the sticks are really light, with next to no resistance...But, it's enough to get the basics down. Since that purchase, I've found the OrangeRX USB DSMX wireless dongle, although it's limited to 6 channels. I've personally tested the OrangeRX Dongle and gotten it work on AeroFly RC 7, Liftoff, DRL simulator, Velocidrone, and FPV Freerider; I don't have Phoenix RC or Realflight versions to test with, so I can't confirm if it works for those, so...at least it's food for thought, right?

Pony1023

To all who responded,

Thanks for you opinions and input. I have basically been provided with the information I was suspecting, and a few other points of interest to consider, on top of what I was finding on other threads.

I've enjoyed being sucked into the air (well not fully yet) by FT, and the foam board planes. I started with simple cub, and because I like the way it looks so much, ordered the tiny trainer, as the one I'm putting in the air first. (I did this backwards, so corrected my mistake). I'm not new to RC, but everything before was on the ground with crystal radios, so I've had to play catch-up both with the new radios, and now taking to the air. Between FliteTest's youtube video's and this forum, it has enabled me to not only build a plane quickly, but feel confident with the decisions I've made along the way, and feel like I've shorten my learning curve to catch back up, after being out of RC for about 15 years.

My thanks to all those who provided posts that have helped me out, and to those that have offer their opinions on my first port. You'll never fully know who you are, but I feel this forum has been so helpful to me.

I'm only sad by the fact that I didn't act fast enough to be able to experience the FT model in Phoenix, but that's ok. Hopeful, I will be in the air with the FT's soon, and flying the FT's in Phoenix won't be that disappointing to me for long.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
To all who responded,

Thanks for you opinions and input. I have basically been provided with the information I was suspecting, and a few other points of interest to consider, on top of what I was finding on other threads.

I've enjoyed being sucked into the air (well not fully yet) by FT, and the foam board planes. I started with simple cub, and because I like the way it looks so much, ordered the tiny trainer, as the one I'm putting in the air first. (I did this backwards, so corrected my mistake). I'm not new to RC, but everything before was on the ground with crystal radios, so I've had to play catch-up both with the new radios, and now taking to the air. Between FliteTest's youtube video's and this forum, it has enabled me to not only build a plane quickly, but feel confident with the decisions I've made along the way, and feel like I've shorten my learning curve to catch back up, after being out of RC for about 15 years.

My thanks to all those who provided posts that have helped me out, and to those that have offer their opinions on my first port. You'll never fully know who you are, but I feel this forum has been so helpful to me.

I'm only sad by the fact that I didn't act fast enough to be able to experience the FT model in Phoenix, but that's ok. Hopeful, I will be in the air with the FT's soon, and flying the FT's in Phoenix won't be that disappointing to me for long.

Pony, don't sweat it. The sims are nice in a couple of respects vs. the real thing:

1) You can fly anytime, in virtually any type of weather, or at any time. It could be snowing outside, or a torrential downpour, or pitch black outside, and you could be flying on a nice sunny day in the simulator. :)

2) You can practice aerobatic movements without fear of crashing. If you DO crash, it's only the cost of hitting the Reset button. :)

3) If you have kids that want to learn, the sim is a good way for them to start to get the feel of the sticks, without turning your plane into a work of art titled, "Full Throttle Disaster". LOL

4) It's always good for practice.

Sprzout, thankyou for your wonderfull advice..flea OWL lives in holland and the confussion with horizon products are getting hard to get. Like real flight. Of course stateside is different.My main question is since phoenix is no langer supported way cant owners of phoenix get a deal with real flight concerdering Phoenix was #1 . Mabie im out of line .sorry they both have their own special qualities. Thankyou to all in stille a learning
FLEA OWL

Chuppster

I'm going to jump in here an hijack for a bit (I hope it's okay...). I've got Phoenix downloaded and I plug in my QX7 (set as a joystick) and Phoenix says "Your USB interface is not currently being detected by Phoenix." Am I missing something?

Grind

I'm going to jump in here an hijack for a bit (I hope it's okay...). I've got Phoenix downloaded and I plug in my QX7 (set as a joystick) and Phoenix says "Your USB interface is not currently being detected by Phoenix." Am I missing something?
I, too, get the same message.

90daysago

I currently have a 2nd-hand DX6i from a guy at my Apknite company which I would like to be able to use with the simulator. I am considering Real Flight or Phoenix, which is better for DX6?

asousa

Gentlemen,
I need your help.
Since many years I'm using Phoenix-RC Flight Simulator with wired transmitter interface to my Futaba T6J and recently to my T10J.
Needless to say that Phoenix is not anymore available, nor works with Windows 10, consequently I'm thinking about to buy RealFlight 9.
My questions are the following:
1. can I still use my wired interface to connect to my transmitters?
2. if not which wired or wireless interface do you advice?
Regards,
António

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
Asousa. Phoenix ver 5.0a does work fine with Windows 10. I just reinstalled it yesterday and it works fine. Sorry can't advise you on what will work (or not) with RF9. However I would say to the earlier posts who are getting the "USB interface not detected" message that Phoenix uses a proprietory USB interface which effectively becomes your licence. You can't use another cable or interface, it must be the Phoenix one.

asousa

GremlinRC,
thanks for your prompt feedback.
I did install Phoenix ver 5.5 and now works fine with Windows 10.
I do have a problem now with the models from FliteTest. I followed the steps from the Forum "FliteTest in Phoenix RC (Model Index)" but it doesn't work.
Any idea about what is wrong?

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
Hi Asousa. Yes I think I know what your problem is. Out of the box you probably have v5.0a. You need v5.5. You can get the update file from here
https://www.rc-thoughts.com/phoenix-sim/
You will have to manually install it.
Download the 5.0a to 5.5 update .pkg and save it.
Start Phoenix. At the initial screen click advanced then install an update. Navigate to your downloaded .pkg file and it will install and update. Restart and you should now see your flitetest models.

asousa

Hi GremlinRC, I do confirm that it works perfectly now after your info.
Actually, I've updated up to version 6.0.i.
I installed almost all models from FliteTest and all Maps.
Again, thank you very much for your support.

RedDog7

The 22 in one and similar packages are pirted software and are illegal. As such they shouldn't be mentioned on forums such as this. Actually I'm surprised Flite Test even allows members to mention them on their forum. They are illegal you know?

Stand by for a torrent of abuse from those who are killing the Flight Sim hobby and couldn't care less.

Tahvaja

Hi all! I just got a used Air Beaver RC plane with Futaba T6J controller. I would like to practice flying with a simulator with my sons first. A device called "Progbox" came with the plane, but I learned that it cannot be used as an adapter for the T6J to make it work with a computer sim.

So what options do I have? Can I use the Futaba with RealFlight simulator or Phoenix if I find some sort of an adapter to connect it to PC?