Piano Wire Cutters? HELP

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I am getting really frustrated!!! I have googled search and searched this forum high and low along with amazon and can not find out what kind of wire cutters that the flight test guys use to cut servo control wire (piano wire). I use a basic pair of side cutters right now and it is really hard to cut using these. I have noticed that Josh and the other guys on FT use a pair of heavy duty cutters. What and where can I purchase some of these cutters? I saw some on Amazon that look similar, but I want to get a good pair that can be used for RC applications like Josh has....

Thanks,
D

Tench745

Master member
They're either 8" or 12" bolt cutters. Harbor freight has 12" bolt cutters for pretty cheap, but you get what you pay for. Amazon.com has many better brands, but they're pretty expensive if you ask me.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I picked these up form the local Lowe's a few years back, and they've work like a charm.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-8-in-Bolt-Cutter/50069713

A bit beefier than the standard dikes (diagonal cutters), and overkill for a 0.05" wire, but most inexpensive dikes aren't hardened enough to do anything but crumple the cutting edge against a good, hardened, carbon steel music wire. You can go for a medium sized pair of dikes online, but in this matter, a quality brand makes a difference -- go cheap and there's a fair chance you'll be right back where you are with another poorly hardened tool.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks Dan, I am going to Lowes on the way home and will try a pair of these. They look good for the price. Thanks again.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
if you already have a Dremel, then a cut off wheel. It would be quite an investment for just cutting some wire though;)

I'll second this. I have a pair of cutters like what Dan recommended above and they work great until you get to the heavier gauges. On a few occasions when I was out of cut-off wheel blades I've combined the wire cutter with a C-clamp to allow me to muscle through the heavy stuff, but the cut off wheel makes quick work of the heavy stuff.

That being said the pliers will handle 100% of the stuff you'd use on a FT design, and probably 90% of the stuff you'd use elsewhere.