Pick my next plane!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Because You can fly it in to a wall, and still put it back together... in 5 min.
I had a 90MPH powerdive that had a high G pull out that didn't (RX Batt. Fail.) I dug the pieces out of the dirt, Hot glued them back together in 5 min. and tossed back on the runway!
I wouldn't want to try reassembling the Beaver.:p
If you aren't planning on ever crashing then go with the Beaver!
Add beaver teeth though!;)

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15613__Clipped_Wing_Cub_EP_1600mm_Balsa_Ply_ARF_.html

Clipped-Wing-Cub.jpg

this is on my wish list .... when it come back on stock !! or this one on stock

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=17335&aff=583764

anotherbloodycub-17335.jpg

Last edited:

MrClean

true true, that can be taken both ways. He either can't have something that isn't gliderish OR he just is incapable of buying something other then a glider and therefore needs help.

I remember years ago, literally memorizing the Tower catalog (it was the Hobby King of the time) and trying to decide what was next.

IamNabil

I took this to mean that "something non-glider" was too general of a recommendation since he then asks for a specific recommendation.

This is what I meant. I cannot go to a store, hand them money, and say "I would like a red version of the "something non-glider." I am looking for votes for specific items, glider or not!

As far as which two models I want, I lied. If it were just two models, I would buy both and be done with it. I am weighing a v70, a dynamic s, the beaver, a Zagi, making my own tricopter, and a few other options. Since I am indecisive, I am having the community pick my next plane!

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I put my wote for the Ultra Spadstick.
It is a genuine model airplane - not a scale/semiscale.
I assume that it is the best flying of all of the mentioned planes above - not the prettiest but something you can fly unlimited in all weathers.
There is however one disadvantage - the size. But there are lots of Ultra Sticks in different sizes - all very good flyers.

The H9 40-size is a good model if you want something a little bigger but smaller than the SPAD.

I am flying the Mini Ultra Stick a lot in most conditions.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/mini-ultra-stick-arf-EFL2250
You can fit it with 4 wing servos if you want - or 2. You can mix the elevator to flap to be able to fly square loops.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I tried mixing flaps and elevators on my sensei. I did a less then square loop that caused the poor pilot to lose sight of his plan behind a hill with a lake.:p
The result was an Rc boat!:cool:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Mixing flaps to elevator is to allow the plane to fly straight and not baloon when setting the flaps. You will get the elevator down a bit when getting the flaps down.

If you mix the other direction Elevator up - flap down and elevator down - flap up you will get better respons if you have a plane like the Stick or any other aerobatic. The Sensei is not an aerobatit - it is a trainer.
The stick will fly inverted with (almost) no pressure on the elevator stick.

IamNabil

I've got a quad, an mQX, which I love. I should buy more batteries for it...
That Mini Ultra stick is certainly an interesting plane! Ugly as sin (I don't like the color scheme) but I bet it is a hoot to fly!

Updated vote tally tonight. I plan on leaving the voting open until about the 30th. I'd like to see some votes from the FT team, actually.

MrClean

My USS has a two piece wing for easy hauling and a TGY-52 for cheap flying, of course the props cost 20 bucks so don't ding those. I flew most of the summer on the same gallon and a half that I mixed at the first of the summer. That would be about 6 bucks of fuel for a whole lotta flying. You don't have to use IC engines though, a buddy of mine flys his on electric so he doesn't have to hand start the gasser. It's pretty much like flip starting your lawnmower when you think about it. There is a 40 size SpadStick as well as a less then obvious look alike DPS on the spad site. These airframes will cost you, if you use the free coroplast you can get at gas stations and the like, less then a couple of bucks and of course they are Sticks, so general sport flying, touch n go's, spins boring holes in the sky are standard fare. Because they're SPADs, inverted landings, milk jug bowling, balloon popping, you know, rough housing without fear, is a SPAD specialty.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Mixing flaps to elevator is to allow the plane to fly straight and not baloon when setting the flaps. You will get the elevator down a bit when getting the flaps down.

If you mix the other direction Elevator up - flap down and elevator down - flap up you will get better respons if you have a plane like the Stick or any other aerobatic. The Sensei is not an aerobatit - it is a trainer.
The stick will fly inverted with (almost) no pressure on the elevator stick.
It's an Aerobat now!
Sorry shouldn't have added those last posts, but I still cast my vote for the beaver!

Last edited:

IamNabil

Right now, the votes stand at:

earthsciteach
corsair or zero or assassin​
randalora
beaver​
colorex
bixler​
lobstermash
teksumo​
foam addict
beaver​
metalbat
zephyr​
kkarioka
clip winged cub​
mr clean
spad stick​
pgerts
spad stick​

Right now we have a tie between the Beaver and the spad stick, with two votes each.